Favorite Grip

lotech_joe

Reaction score
What is your favorite grip. Full wells, Half Wells, Western. Which one. I know a lot depends on the application, but regardless of that, what is your favorite. I've always like Fenwick's Reverse Half Wells, but my all time favorite is the Cigar grip.

siege

Reaction score
I have always been partial to the cigar grip on light rods. Bamboo rods feel better to me with full Wells grips however.

mikel

Reaction score
I don't care...I just pick em up and fish with them...if I were building a rod, I'd have to research to figure it out. :confused: It's a little embarrassing, but true.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Good topic Joe,
I need to Get a Grip.

Give me a Large diameter Western on everything from 4 to 7, 8 and up a Full Wells and not one of those slim waistline ones either. Can't stand these snaky little grips on many modern rods...... I wear a size 12 EEE. My fingers can go around most of today’s rod grips, twice! Where's the Meat!

This is one reason I don’t buy T.F.O.’s - Lefty with his little chubby hands and fingers designed ‘em. Put the two of us side by side and you’d have a hard time believing we’re the same species. Give me a Steve Rajeff rod, those come in Mens sizes.:grin:

An attempt at instituting a little levity into a pet peeve of mine…

TT

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
In single hand fly fishing rods the 2 rods I have used the most both have a 'Superfine' grip. When you hold the same cork for 34 years it just feels normal.

Superfine :cool:

half fast

Reaction score
I prefer a full wells. If you'll form your hand as though it's holding a fly rod, thumb extended on top, and look at the outline formed by your thumb and the heel of your hand, you'll see it's approximately a full wells shape. Consequently, a full wells feels most natural and comfortable to me.

Unfortunately, only one of my rods has a full wells grip, the others being cigar grips.

nick k

Reaction score
Honestly, you might as well just ask everyone what weight rod they prefer or what type of fishing prefer. These are large factors in grip shapes for rods and if you fish one way enough, you are pretty likely to eventually get used to and prefer that way, and thus that grip style.

For instance, its pretty hard to find a full wells on anything less than a 6 or 7wt, and it is conversely hard to find anything OTHER THAN a full wells on 7wt and up. If all you ever do is saltwater, you will probably prefer a full wells as that is what you have been using for years.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I prefer a western grip on my trout rods in 3, 4 and 5 weight. Reverse full wells or Wells on anything larger.

trout champ

Reaction score
I have big hands and like Sage's new "custom snub nose half wells grip" they are using on their ONE and Circa rods.

Randy

williamhj

Reaction score
For instance, its pretty hard to find a full wells on anything less than a 6 or 7wt, and it is conversely hard to find anything OTHER THAN a full wells on 7wt and up. If all you ever do is saltwater, you will probably prefer a full wells as that is what you have been using for years.
That's one of the great things about making your own grips for rods. You can choose the grip style, length, and thickness you prefer. Want a full wells on a 3wt, have at it! I'm putting one on a long 4wt turned a bit thicker than you'd find on many rods for sale in shops.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I like a cigar grip on most anything 3wt and below, and full wells on 4wt and above.

Just to complicate matters, for short 4 and 5 weights, and for long 3 and under weights, I'll use a reverse half wells or western grip. *shrug*

lotech_joe

Reaction score
I built a 3 piece, 7 1/2 foot, fiberglass 5 weight one time, and I built a Fenwick style grip out of a full wells. Man, that was a comfortable grip and a dandy rod to cast. I kick myself for ever having sold it. I paid just over $160 for the components then. Now they would cost well over $250.

krikau27

Reaction score
I think I'm a full wels guy. But it's rare I have a rod that fits my hand perfectly.

Kim.