Leaking Pontoon

fishfinder

Reaction score
Looking for some help. I have a TU Colorado 9 pontoon boat that I got a couple years ago. I had trouble with leaking pontoons almost immediately but last fall the company finally sent me improved new bladders and skins. Now I am ready to put it to use and low and behold it wont hold air on the right side. Note each pontoon has two bladders.

I checked the valves with soapy water but there is no apparent sign of a leak, however if I open the skin I can hear an air leak eventhough there is no visiable sign of a leak.

So anyone have an idea. The valves may be loose but I don't have the fancy wrench.

Fishfinder

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Looking for some help. I have a TU Colorado 9 pontoon boat that I got a couple years ago. I had trouble with leaking pontoons almost immediately but last fall the company finally sent me improved new bladders and skins. Now I am ready to put it to use and low and behold it wont hold air on the right side. Note each pontoon has two bladders.

I checked the valves with soapy water but there is no apparent sign of a leak, however if I open the skin I can hear an air leak eventhough there is no visiable sign of a leak.

So anyone have an idea. The valves may be loose but I don't have the fancy wrench.

Fishfinder
Fishfinder, that's kind of a bummer!

Go to Autozone and buy a 'gut' tool, snug em and check em again with the soapy water, if you still have issues then about all you can do is send them back to the manufacturer.

Good thing time is on your side, with Winter still hangin on for a bit longer.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi fishfinder,

Sorry you are having a problem. Have you talked to the manufacture about the new bladders leaking.

Here is what I would do. Take the bladder out of the shell and pump one up about half full. Fill you bathtub up but leave room for over flow. Take the bladder and push it into the water. You may have to gather some of the bladder to put some pressure on the leak. If you think it is the vale try there first. I would go around every seam until you find the leak. Just remember you need to push or gather the bladder to put pressure on the leak. Once you know where the leak is you can go from there.

I doubt that the bladders are rubber and your local tire shop won't know how to patch a leak. Lets hope it is a leaking valve.

Frank

fishfinder

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. Called the distributer this morning. They are sending me a "wrench" to tighten the valves. Will see how that goes. It must be something simple as it has never been out of the garage since I got the new bladders and skins.

Mike

fishfinder

Reaction score
Repair report. Was able to get a valve wrench and as it turns out valves on both pontoons were loose. I tightened them up and now it appears they are holding air. Whoopie. Thanks to all who lent their support.

Fishfinder