HELP in South Carolina!

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I'll be visiting my Grandparents in South Carolina for a week and like every good vacation, it wouldn't be complete unless I did my best to find a trout! Is there any trout fishing within an hour or so of Greenville SC???? If so I would be super appreciative of any information. Please hurry, I'll be leaving by Thursday!

yonder

Reaction score
Head north on hwy 276 for about an hour to Brevard, N.C...about 47 miles away according to google maps.......this will put you on the Davidson River and it's several tribs.....large, technical brown trout fishing down low, to wild rainbows and brookies up in the smaller creeks.....Davidson River Outfitters are streamside at the Pisgah Forest road intersection.....:) Also, I might add that we are getting all the rain we can handle so far this spring and summer, so be careful while wading. Here is a link to the Davidson River gauge......

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=GSP&gage=davn7

Last edited:

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Head north on hwy 276 for about an hour to Brevard, N.C...about 47 miles away according to google maps.......this will put you on the Davidson River and it's several tribs.....large, technical brown trout fishing down low, to wild rainbows and brookies up in the smaller creeks.....Davidson River Outfitters are streamside at the Pisgah Forest road intersection.....:) Also, I might add that we are getting all the rain we can handle so far this spring and summer, so be careful while wading. Here is a link to the Davidson River gauge......

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Greenville-Spartanburg: Davidson River near hwy 276 near Pisgah Forest
Yes, I've heard about your rain! I spoke with my grandfather yesterday and he can't remember a more precipitous year since he retired and moved there in '84. I'm much more interested in the wild brookies than any sort of tailwaters or stockers. Are you familiar enough to send me to one spot? I will likely have half of one day and I don't want to squander it all away looking for the water.

mikel

Reaction score

yonder

Reaction score
I will PM you this evening with a plan.......I will pull out my maps and other guides and try to give you some options......however I can't promise you a one hour driving time........ but, I will do my best!!! :)

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I will PM you this evening with a plan.......I will pull out my maps and other guides and try to give you some options......however I can't promise you a one hour driving time........ but, I will do my best!!! :)
Thanks, MUCH appreciated! You don't have to do too much work, just send me to a creek that you are CERTAIN has some trout in it. I'll have one chance, I just want to make sure I'm at least casting where there are trout!

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

I'm looking at maps and I see catch and release areas such as the Davidson, Panthertown, Flat, Upper Chatooga, Ceasers head, Jones Gap area. Anyone familiar with these areas? Will I find wild brookies any of these places?

rccola712

Reaction score
When are you headed up to Brevard? I live in Asheville about 20-30 minutes away, and it's where I do all my fishing. Shoot me a PM if it's this weekend and I'll try to show you a few streams. If you like small wild streams they're everywhere up here. The Davidson is always a classic but it sees a TON of pressure!

ausablebrown

Reaction score
When are you headed up to Brevard? I live in Asheville about 20-30 minutes away, and it's where I do all my fishing. Shoot me a PM if it's this weekend and I'll try to show you a few streams. If you like small wild streams they're everywhere up here. The Davidson is always a classic but it sees a TON of pressure!
What about the smaller tributaries of the Davidson? Do they get pressured as much? Also, thanks so much for the invite and I would love to meet up to get a guided tour from a local (always the most productive way to learn an area) but I don't envision it working out really well. I'll probably be with the wife and two little kids when I head out to try and find some fish. Unless they get really occupied with something and just tell me to get a way for a day it will probably be a picnic, hike, with a couple hours of fishing thrown in here or there. That's kind of why I was looking for one spot that would give me the best chance!