Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HELP in South Carolina!

  1. #1

    Default HELP in South Carolina!

    I'll be visiting my Grandparents in South Carolina for a week and like every good vacation, it wouldn't be complete unless I did my best to find a trout! Is there any trout fishing within an hour or so of Greenville SC???? If so I would be super appreciative of any information. Please hurry, I'll be leaving by Thursday!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    somewhere on a blue line, N.C.
    Posts
    947

    Default Re: HELP in South Carolina!

    Head north on hwy 276 for about an hour to Brevard, N.C...about 47 miles away according to google maps.......this will put you on the Davidson River and it's several tribs.....large, technical brown trout fishing down low, to wild rainbows and brookies up in the smaller creeks.....Davidson River Outfitters are streamside at the Pisgah Forest road intersection..... Also, I might add that we are getting all the rain we can handle so far this spring and summer, so be careful while wading. Here is a link to the Davidson River gauge......

    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...GSP&gage=davn7
    Last edited by yonder; 07-09-2013 at 04:50 AM.
    yonder

    Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

  3. Likes rccola712 liked this post
  4. #3

    Default Re: HELP in South Carolina!

    Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    Head north on hwy 276 for about an hour to Brevard, N.C...about 47 miles away according to google maps.......this will put you on the Davidson River and it's several tribs.....large, technical brown trout fishing down low, to wild rainbows and brookies up in the smaller creeks.....Davidson River Outfitters are streamside at the Pisgah Forest road intersection..... Also, I might add that we are getting all the rain we can handle so far this spring and summer, so be careful while wading. Here is a link to the Davidson River gauge......

    Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Greenville-Spartanburg: Davidson River near hwy 276 near Pisgah Forest
    Yes, I've heard about your rain! I spoke with my grandfather yesterday and he can't remember a more precipitous year since he retired and moved there in '84. I'm much more interested in the wild brookies than any sort of tailwaters or stockers. Are you familiar enough to send me to one spot? I will likely have half of one day and I don't want to squander it all away looking for the water.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ben Lomond, Ca
    Posts
    2,252
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: HELP in South Carolina!

    Asheville Fly Fishing - Hunter Banks Co. - Fly Fishing Shop of the South - Asheville, Western North Carolina
    One Fly Outfitters - One of Western North Carolina's newest fly shops!

    I researched a little around Asheville for a trip that didn't happen yet and kept these links. Maybe they'll help you...it looks real fishy up there and you could drop your family at the Biltmore House while you fish

    -Mike

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    somewhere on a blue line, N.C.
    Posts
    947

    Default Re: HELP in South Carolina!

    I will PM you this evening with a plan.......I will pull out my maps and other guides and try to give you some options......however I can't promise you a one hour driving time........ but, I will do my best!!!
    yonder

    Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

  7. Likes N/A liked this post
  8. #6

    Default Re: HELP in South Carolina!

    Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    I will PM you this evening with a plan.......I will pull out my maps and other guides and try to give you some options......however I can't promise you a one hour driving time........ but, I will do my best!!!
    Thanks, MUCH appreciated! You don't have to do too much work, just send me to a creek that you are CERTAIN has some trout in it. I'll have one chance, I just want to make sure I'm at least casting where there are trout!

    ---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

    I'm looking at maps and I see catch and release areas such as the Davidson, Panthertown, Flat, Upper Chatooga, Ceasers head, Jones Gap area. Anyone familiar with these areas? Will I find wild brookies any of these places?

  9. Likes N/A liked this post
  10. #7

    Default Re: HELP in South Carolina!

    When are you headed up to Brevard? I live in Asheville about 20-30 minutes away, and it's where I do all my fishing. Shoot me a PM if it's this weekend and I'll try to show you a few streams. If you like small wild streams they're everywhere up here. The Davidson is always a classic but it sees a TON of pressure!
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."
    ~by Tony Blake

    "A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
    ~ Arnold Gingrich

  11. #8

    Default Re: HELP in South Carolina!

    Quote Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
    When are you headed up to Brevard? I live in Asheville about 20-30 minutes away, and it's where I do all my fishing. Shoot me a PM if it's this weekend and I'll try to show you a few streams. If you like small wild streams they're everywhere up here. The Davidson is always a classic but it sees a TON of pressure!
    What about the smaller tributaries of the Davidson? Do they get pressured as much? Also, thanks so much for the invite and I would love to meet up to get a guided tour from a local (always the most productive way to learn an area) but I don't envision it working out really well. I'll probably be with the wife and two little kids when I head out to try and find some fish. Unless they get really occupied with something and just tell me to get a way for a day it will probably be a picnic, hike, with a couple hours of fishing thrown in here or there. That's kind of why I was looking for one spot that would give me the best chance!

Similar Threads

  1. FNG in South Carolina
    By tailhooker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
  2. New member from South Carolina
    By halvis in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM
  3. Hello from South Carolina
    By cgator in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
  4. fishing in South Carolina?
    By Forrest in forum Southeast U.S.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
  5. hello from south carolina
    By carolinamikes in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 01:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •