Waders In Hot Weather

RayMO

Reaction score
This is not a threat about what breathable waders to wear/buy.

I have been using a set of Orvis shoes without waders and it has been very comfortable, BUT...I have been getting a good number of bytes on my ankles and legs. This week I got an especially nasty one.

My question(s) is:

How many of you wear waders all the time?

Anyone else have problems with bytes when they don't use waders?

Just how hot are these breathable waiters when it is in the 90's with hi humidity?

I noticed that there has been some discussion about what to wear under waders in hot weather.

Just looking to see what some of the rest of you all do.

Thanks guys!

fishtacos

Reaction score
I'd rather fall on a rock, get bit by a snake and be attacked by skeeters than wear waders this time of year. Then again I live in the Southeast where the dog days of summer take on new meaning.

edit: no I don't get bit very bad but I have slipped a few times because I've been wearing chacos because I think even boots are too hot.

axle27

Reaction score
This will depend on where I am.

I've worn them this past June as I was moving around some back country area. It helps keep the ticks down and any plants that could cause a rash (poison ivy, stinging nettles, etc).

On a recent canoeing trip, I wet waded, but I would NOT want to be in a canoe all day with waders on...

I use breathables, but I like to be in water that is at least waist deep...keep things cool. Shorts underneath, some decent socks to keep things tight to prevent blisters. The shorts are usually not cotten....something synthetic and light. Swimming trunks works well.

Jimmie

Reaction score
I'm going to be wet wading today. I wear Levi's and a long sleeve lightweight fishing shirt to cut down on bites and protect from the brush. I just throw on some neoprene socks and my wading boots.

RayMO

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

How about bug spray, off, etc. Use this frequently while in and out of water?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to be wet wading today. I wear Levi's and a long sleeve lightweight fishing shirt to cut down on bites and protect from the brush. I just throw on some neoprene socks and my wading boots.
I follow Jimmies approach with the exception of the Levi's (they get heavy when wet), instead I like the nylon style of convertible pants where the lower leg portion can be zipped off. The nylon dries fairly quickly when out of the water and isn't real heavy when wet. Cabelas sells a variety of these, here is just one example: Cabela's Guidewear® GXII™ Pants

Larry

jamieof

Reaction score
While I often complain about the weather here, it isn't ever hot and humid like many of you have this time of year. We also don't have issues with various "nuisances" like leeches & other critters that will bite you.

My normal attire in warmer weather (note water very seldom gets over 70 deg f) is cheap no-name runners, loose jeans tucked into heavy good quality socks and a long sleeve shirt.

With the walking I do to get to some of my favourite fishing holes, I'd wreck 3-4 pairs of hip waders a year and I'd rather not carry them.

My waders are reserved for short jaunts in cooler weather.

Jamie.

axle27

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

How about bug spray, off, etc. Use this frequently while in and out of water?
With the exception of some of the "natural" stuff, bug spray is a no-no for waders and fly lines.

I'd put it on before I put anything else on (wader, vest, whatever). If ya gotta "refresh", I'd put down the rod, move downwind, if possible...

RayMO

Reaction score
With the exception of some of the "natural" stuff, bug spray is a no-no for waders and fly lines.

I'd put it on before I put anything else on (wader, vest, whatever). If ya gotta "refresh", I'd put down the rod, move downwind, if possible...
Yeah I know that Deet will eat thru alot of finishes and I assume would be very bad for fly line so you for sure would have to be very carefull using it, but I am not see any other option at this point. I really don't like the idea of getting the stuff in the water either, but I have some chiggers bites and one bite that I assume was from some kind of other criter maybe a spider. I did venture into more brush this week, maybe the answer is to stay away from tall grass as much as possible (that can not always be done) and use spary sparingly as needed.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ray,

Since there have been some good options offered up already (I like Larry's approach) I'm not going to try to invent a new wheel here. However I have lived and fished where the 'Chigger' is abundant and will tell you wearing waders beats chigger bites any day or weeks for that matter. I say weeks because a good batch of chigger's will keep you itching and miserable for weeks. They have to be the worst lesson in being prepared I've ever had. After getting into the chiggers in Central and north Georgia I wore my waders until I had moved well beyond their Northern most range. You may want to look into a pair of stocking foot hip waders and wear them along with shorts. If your lower legs are the only thing that is broiling inside the wader you won't notice it as badly as when wearing a full length chest wader.

racine

Reaction score
I've learned to avoid chiggers more than even fire ants-problem is you never see them. What I've done is to treat those very lightweight trousers and shirts with Permethrin, focusing in on the waist, cuff, collar, center button and sleeve cuffs. On top of that I may use either Deet on my outer arms/hands & neck area. I wouldn't touch my rods with that on my hands. I recently took a lunch break after a full morning of wading and just taking my vest off & lowering my waders allowed a chigger to get into my waist. I was not wearing any bug stuff or permethrin treated clothing. I will plan on this treatment though when I spend 4 days in Yellowstone.

driftless

Reaction score

I have been using Cutter advanced insect repellent for the last 4 or so seasons. It uses Picaridin instead of deet. It does not dissolve plastic in the manner of products such as deet and provides very good protection from insects.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have been using Cutter advanced insect repellent for the last 4 or so seasons. It uses Picaridin instead of deet. It does not dissolve plastic in the manner of products such as deet and provides very good protection from insects.
Driftless: That is good information to know, I'm going to pick some up. Thanks!

Larry

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Picaridin is a good alternative, it does prevent insects from biting, but will not prevent them from landing on you.
I've used it a couple times and liked it, I just seem to end up with the Deet products most of the time.

Joni

Reaction score
Deet and a good hand washing here. Nothing beats DEET in my opinion.

jcw355

Reaction score
I think that is what I use. Call me crazy but I have wore waders in 100 degree weather here in Oklahoma. I drink a lot of water and sit down to cool off. I won't wet wade unless I trip.

RayMO

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the postings. My conclusion is that I am looking forward to the fall ;). I am not a hot weather guy anyway. I will be getting some spray and be very carefull with regard to how I use it.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I only wear my chest waders when I have to
When water levels permit, my preferred wading gear is hip boots. I have a pair of the classic style canvas ones just like my grandfather wore. They're not a bit hot as with every step you take they "pump out" any exhaust. Plus you can wear them with shorts.
When it's hot I'll wade wet.... but only in long pants. Lotta poison ivy along my home river. I wear a pair of synthetic Dickie's brand work pants that I got at the thrift store.

BigCliff

Reaction score
This sounds like an absolutely perfect situation for these-

Ex Officio Insect Shield Convertible Pant - Men's from Backcountry.com

Mother Nature made some beautiful sunsets and some wonderful fishing, but in the process she made mosquitoes the size of Volkswagens. The BUZZ OFF Insect Shield Insect Apparel line from Ex Officio presents an elegant solution to the problem of the little bloodsuckers by offering clothing with an insect-repellent finish. The Men's BUZZ OFF Convertible Pant is, at heart, a pair of unassuming nylon technical pants, with partially gusseted legs and the ability to transform from pants to shorts at will. In addition to being bug repellent, the BUZZ OFF Convertible pant is UV resistant and quick drying, making it perfect for any outdoor activity you can think of in bug country.

Joni

Reaction score
l always wear pant's made for this. Either Polyester or a blend. I have two pair of Orvis fishing pants, but SCRUBS work really well and are cheap at like $10. a pair.