Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default Not matching line size to rod

Came across a killer deal on some rio indicator line, the only bad part is that I own a 5 wt rod, and the line only comes in either 4 wt or 6 wt. Would either of these work for a 5 wt?

Default Re: Not matching line size to rod

Yes. Over sizing is very common. Try the 6 weight. Probably will work well

3. Likes fredaevans liked this post

By the way, I own a Scott A3 9' 5 wt fly rod. From what I have read, it is a fast action rod, with a stiff butt section, and a soft tip. I have a friend that swears by this line, so I am hoping either one of these lines will work, but if not, I don't want to spend the money on something that won't work.

turbineblade Guest

Virtually any 5 weight rod will handle a 6 weight fly line -- don't overthink it, people do it all the time. The line printed on the fly rod is just meant as a general guide or place to start.

Heck, for extremely short casting (with only 8-12' of fly line out) on brook trout streams I know a guy who uses 6 weight line on his 3-weight with great results. It's all about conditions, personal preference, and casting style.

6. Likes krikau27 liked this post

I just ordered some of the 6 wt. Most of my fishing is chuck and duck, short distance highsticking, so I think I should be fine. If I can't make it work, I guess i'll have some slightly used indicator line for sale.

It'll work fine.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

9. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

The Rio Indicator Line is already uplined by one size. The WF4F has a 30 foot head mass of 140 grains (AFTMA WF5F), and the WF6F has a 30 foot (AFTMA WF7F). The extra head mass is added to help kick over heavy indobobifloaticator multi-fly rigs.

Could you use the WF4F? Sure. Just keep your payload size down.

Could you use the WF6F? Sure. It will throw the heavy indobobifloaticator multi-fly rig. The extra mass will really dampen the feel of the line being cast. I know some guides who upline their nymph rods by two sizes. It helps their clients make casts easier.

Dennis

11. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    The Rio Indicator Line is already uplined by one size. The WF4F has a 30 foot head mass of 140 grains (AFTMA WF5F), and the WF6F has a 30 foot (AFTMA WF7F). The extra head mass is added to help kick over heavy indobobifloaticator multi-fly rigs.

Could you use the WF4F? Sure. Just keep your payload size down.

Could you use the WF6F? Sure. It will throw the heavy indobobifloaticator multi-fly rig. The extra mass will really dampen the feel of the line being cast. I know some guides who upline their nymph rods by two sizes. It helps their clients make casts easier.

Dennis
    As Dennis says, I used to fish a 6 wt rio indi line on my 5 wts (med fast Sages) with no trouble and used it as well with a bit softer 6 wt rod...no issues...although it would not work with a really soft 5 wt like my CT, as it just doesn't have the backbone for it.

-Mike

13. Likes fredaevans liked this post