Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap backing or substitute

Default Re: Cheap backing or substitute

I've been deep into the backing often, but only twice was I ever surprised about it.
    Once I hooked something that smoked line off the reel so fast that I was nearly spooled in seconds before the tippet popped. I never did figure out what that was all about.
    The second time (and this is why you should have backing) I was fishing in a quite little stream here in CT when I foul-hooked a larger than normal trout in the tail end. Because of the way it was hooked, that fish was able to strip off a bunch of line. And while it didn't go all that far into the backing I would have had trouble if I didn't have any at all.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

2. Likes Ard, thewalker1013 liked this post
    Blog Entries

They're hard to bring in backward aren't they Paul

4. Default Re: Cheap backing or substitute

has anyone used mono as backing? Is this a good idea or not?

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by speycracker View Post
    has anyone used mono as backing? Is this a good idea or not?
    For 'trout gear' why not? Just make sure the break strength is equal to/higher than that of the fly line. For larger fish, not a Good Plan A. The one thing you DON'T want to use is 'Gel-Spun,' stuff will cut like a razor blade!
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

The reasoning behind not using mono as backing is that mono stretches
    Supposedly, if and when you have a great deal of mono backing out, it will reel in "stretched". Afterwards when it contracts back to normal it will crush the spool, or at least cut into the remaining backing underneath and tangle.
    I've considered this often and it seems pretty far fetched to me.

Not that I'm going to be the one to try it and prove otherwise ....
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

7. Likes chi flyfisher liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Actually RT that's not "An Old Wive's Tail." If you take a look at the typical 'level whined' reel spool they're damned heavy metal for just that reason. Also why most, save for heavy salt water's, have a very 'U' shaped spool.

Fred
    Last edited by fredaevans; 07-22-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add a thought
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Just sayin'

I haven't done this on everyone of my saltwater reels but it's a good idea to include 25' of 25# mono between the 30# dacron backing and the line.
    The point of this is to have some stretch behind the line to help keep the tippet from popping from fly line drag.

Once all of your line is out, there's a tremendous amount of pressure on the tippet from the mass of the fly line being dragged through the water. On top of that, many people naturally tighten on the reel's drag when backing is melting off their reel. Wrong !
    Having a stretchy mono section behind the line helps to protect the tippet when there's a full fat fly line being pulled sideways through the water.

10. Likes Ard, thewalker1013 liked this post

Recently I switched to Sunset Amnesia for backing on small reels. It was around $5 for 200ft of line. The main reason I got it is because it looks cool. So far I have had no problems with it.

-Chase

Blog Entries

Back in the early 90's I bought a 3000 yard spool of 45 pound test ice fishing line that was on sale because something weird was happening with the US Line Company. Relined my tip-ups. Re-backed all my reels. Re-backed some of my friends reels. Put backing on some of my friends new reels. Handed the spool off to friends a few times and got it back, and it is still more than 1/3 full. The stuff is 20 something years old and still no issues. I check it every year I have fished. If I cant break it between my hands, the tippet will pop before the backing gives out.

Point of reference.... I am not shown my backing often so it is mostly spool filler for me.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

When we last discussed this someone on this forum mentioned they use "Green Spot" 30lb line. I didn't know what it was but found it online somewhere and got a 500yd spool quite cheap. It's white with green flecks; maybe trolling line? dunno but I like it anyway.
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast