Cheap backing or substitute

flymoron

Reaction score
What does everyone use? All that backing starts to add up.

thanks!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Depends on what you're fishing for
On a reel where the backing will never see the light of day, it really doesn't matter much
Many of my reels like that have 40# dacron tip-up (ice fishing) line
It takes up plenty of space and doesn't rot.
There's other dracron lines too.
Back in the day, everyone used trolling line

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
I skip backing an most of my reels. I put pipe insulation around the reel arbor and use a 6" piece of backing to cinch it down and connect to the fly line. This adds dimension to the arbor without the weight or cost or hassle of putting Dacron on every reel.

Cheers!

ditz

Reaction score
On a couple of my gill reels I have cut strips of craft foam the width of the reel spool and wrapped it around the arbor to increase the arbor diameter. I then tied it up with a short section of Dacron and then attached the fly line to the backing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're fishing for
That pretty much sums it up. If you want to stick with a genuine backing product you may consider doing what I did years ago, bite the bullet and buy a bulk spool. I believe mine originally had 1200 yards each. For trout reels I got Cortland 12 pound and for salmon, their 36 pound saltwater Micron product.

Shop smart and once you have the big daddy spools it's over.

Or do as the other fellows suggest and use substitutes. Like Rip Tide said, it depends on what you're fishing for.......

Ard

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
For river fishing here in the PNW how much 'backing' do you need is a constant debate. 100 yards behind your fly line? 250 yards, pick a number.

In all the years I've been fishing I can only think of two times where I wished I'd had a lot more. Both fish damned near spooled me before I made the choice to break them off. Every thrust of the tail took another 10 foot off the reel.

My guess is both were very good sized King Salmon. Add the river current to that and ....... Woozer!

fae

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
If I ever hooked a fish like that, I'd be happy to buy another line! A monster to me is an 8" brookies that stays in the water on the hook set!

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to give advice about backing! Haha!

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I agree with Fred and Ard. I mean the fly line itself is expensive and for a few bucks spool on 25 yds. Go with large arbor reels where you can as well. All in all, the right stuff will help get the right results when the unexpected hits the fan.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
What I've done is about the same as what Rip has said. I have "backing" on some reels, either Scientific Anglers Dacron or Cortland Micron. I also bought a large 1500 yard spool of regular 30 lb Cortland Dacron line, like is used for trolling, online, direct from Cortland via their website. It was on sale too! Initially I bought it for some trolling reels, and it works fine for that purpose, but could not see any reason not to use it on my fly reels, instead of buying additional "backing".

It's slightly larger in diameter I believe compared to the Cortland Micron, but for the fishing I do most it has made no difference as far as how much is actually on the reels. I'm primarily using it to keep from losing a fly line, should I happen to hook something that could spool the line. Bass, Striped Bass & Bluefish aren't known for doing that!

This line was purchased several years ago, and comparing prices, the regular Dacron is a little cheaper than Micron. Since I had bought a bulk spool, it was considerably cheaper in price. :thumbsup:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've been deep into the backing often, but only twice was I ever surprised about it.
Once I hooked something that smoked line off the reel so fast that I was nearly spooled in seconds before the tippet popped. I never did figure out what that was all about.
The second time (and this is why you should have backing) I was fishing in a quite little stream here in CT when I foul-hooked a larger than normal trout in the tail end. Because of the way it was hooked, that fish was able to strip off a bunch of line. And while it didn't go all that far into the backing I would have had trouble if I didn't have any at all.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The reasoning behind not using mono as backing is that mono stretches
Supposedly, if and when you have a great deal of mono backing out, it will reel in "stretched". Afterwards when it contracts back to normal it will crush the spool, or at least cut into the remaining backing underneath and tangle.
I've considered this often and it seems pretty far fetched to me.

Not that I'm going to be the one to try it and prove otherwise ....:eek:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Actually RT that's not "An Old Wive's Tail." If you take a look at the typical 'level whined;)' reel spool they're damned heavy metal for just that reason. Also why most, save for heavy salt water's, have a very 'U' shaped spool.

Fred

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Just sayin' ;)

I haven't done this on everyone of my saltwater reels but it's a good idea to include 25' of 25# mono between the 30# dacron backing and the line.
The point of this is to have some stretch behind the line to help keep the tippet from popping from fly line drag.

Once all of your line is out, there's a tremendous amount of pressure on the tippet from the mass of the fly line being dragged through the water. On top of that, many people naturally tighten on the reel's drag when backing is melting off their reel. Wrong !
Having a stretchy mono section behind the line helps to protect the tippet when there's a full fat fly line being pulled sideways through the water.

chased

Reaction score
Recently I switched to Sunset Amnesia for backing on small reels. It was around $5 for 200ft of line. The main reason I got it is because it looks cool. So far I have had no problems with it.

-Chase

random user

Reaction score
Back in the early 90's I bought a 3000 yard spool of 45 pound test ice fishing line that was on sale because something weird was happening with the US Line Company. Relined my tip-ups. Re-backed all my reels. Re-backed some of my friends reels. Put backing on some of my friends new reels. Handed the spool off to friends a few times and got it back, and it is still more than 1/3 full. The stuff is 20 something years old and still no issues. I check it every year I have fished. If I cant break it between my hands, the tippet will pop before the backing gives out.

Point of reference.... I am not shown my backing often so it is mostly spool filler for me.

wannafish

Reaction score
When we last discussed this someone on this forum mentioned they use "Green Spot" 30lb line. I didn't know what it was but found it online somewhere and got a 500yd spool quite cheap. It's white with green flecks; maybe trolling line? dunno but I like it anyway. :)