these sites, or just Goggle "fly fishing knots"

killroys.com/knots/knots.htm or animatedknots.com

If you teach others & I know many of you do, is teaching
knots part of your standard practice ?

Teaching is fun :)

Tie One On

Pocono

Reaction score
As a sailor, I have to ask if anyone has ever used a "bowline" (pronounced "bo'lin") knot to attach a fly to the tippet? It's a simply knot, tightens on itself under tension and comes apart very easily. The eye can be formed both large or small (large to allow fly action or small to snug it down). I've used it to secure good sized boats during high winds and bad weather and have never had it fail. I ask because it's a simple knot to tie, but I'm not sure how it will function for tying on flies with a relatively stiff material like monofilament. Does anyone have any experience using this knot?

Joe D

Reaction score
You can use a dunkan loop to achieve the same thing, which is really just a uni knot tied through the hook eye.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I like to save old spools of unused tippet material for teaching someone to tie knots.
Once they get a couple of knot basics figured out have them sit in front of the tube to watch a game or something and tie knots over and over.

When they get those memorized then move onto a couple more knots, before they know it they are good to go.

Joe D

Reaction score
What I' use for teaching knots are two spools of contrasting mono or backing. I find the two different colors make it much easier to learn knots used for joining two lines together. For other knots used in a single line the colored line makes it easier to see and follow along as the knot develops.