Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Alaska FF Trip - Requesting Info

Default Alaska FF Trip - Requesting Info

I must be one of the luckiest guys around, this AM my dear wife proposed that we plan a return trip to Alaska for next June. I know it is quite a ways off but I like to plan ahead {especially when FF is involved }
    The sheer volume of info the web is mind boggling, so was hoping if some of my fellow forum mates could offer some advice.

If I wanted to spend a day or two, what would be the best options (general locations) for rainbows & grayling? Our home-base will be Anchorage but will have transportation & we are also open to traveling elsewhere for a night or two.

Thanks,

Blog Entries

Default Re: Alaska FF Trip - Requesting Info

Send Ard (Hardyreels) a PM, he is currently out fishing, but he will provide you will lots of information when he returns. Ard is a guide and out on the water most days in the summer months so he can give you some great up to date information. I lived in Alaska for 16 years, but left in 1989 so my info is pretty old.

Hopefully, some of the other members from Alaska will also see your post and provide some info also.

Larry
    Larry

3. Likes jaybo41, fyshstykr liked this post

Thanks Larry, I will contact Ard.

This is a tough question to answer in a forum seeing that many books have been written about fishing southcentral Alaska. You'll have so many options that it will be tough to make a decision on where to go. Because there are so many rivers to fish, you'll get a variety of responses.

The most popular spot for rainbows would be the Russian and Kenai Rivers south of Anchorage. They're popular for a reason. Lot's of fish, wildlife, and easy access. You won't come across many grayling, but there are lots of rainbows, dolly varden and sockeye salmon in the river in June. It's about 120 minutes to the Russian from Anchorage.

I love fishing the Parks Highway streams. There are 6 creeks in a 30 mile stretch of the highway that have easy access and can be fished without a boat. There are lots of rainbows and grayling. It' about 90 minutes from Anchorage to the first trout stream on the Parks Hwy.

I think that a lot of visitors to Alaska spend too much time driving. Pick a fishery and work it for a couple of days. You won't be disapointed.

6. Likes N/A liked this post