Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catskills

Default Catskills

A friend of mine is visiting from the U.K. in September and I plan to take him to the Catskills for a few days fishing. He does fly fish, but has not fished rivers before. This will also be my first trip there, so I'm looking for a bit of advice on which particular rivers we should fish. I should add that I am not a fan of guided trips.
    Any help appreciated.
    Eddie
    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation."
    Voltaire

Default Re: Catskills

Eddie, I bought the Flyfisher's Guide to New York. I did find a bit of help on this forum... I also emailed the president of the local TU chapter in the area I was planning to fish, received no reply. Good luck with your search and your trip.

Hi Eddie,

I live north from the Catskills, so once in a while I go fishing there. I mostly fish the Esopus and the Willowemoc. The Esopus is a nice river. Below Shandaken the river is a tailwater, but the water is always colored. It doesn't get as much fishing pressure as the other rivers in the region and it has stocked browns and wild rainbows. The trout are not that selective and on most days, prince, copper johns and hare's ear nymphs will get you some fish. The Willowemoc is a bit prettier (although that's of course is just my opinion), it has more access points, but it gets more fishing pressure, and the trout can get more selective. The Beaverkill is probably the most famous of the rivers in the region, but I find it to be very similar to the Willowemoc, but with even more fishermen.

These as some maps for the Esopus and the Willowemoc.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...fresopusck.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...rwillocklb.pdf

Here is a website with stream conditions that gets updated every day

Stream Conditions | Catskill Flies

You can also go the the Orvis website, they have a section where they show the fishing conditions and recommend some flies and best stretches of the rivers.

Best of luck with the fishing

4. Likes Ard liked this post

Eddie
    You should be fishing the Housatonic and the Farmington. They're right in your neighborhood and the Farmington River tail water is one of the very best trout rivers in the east.

You could go there tomorrow to scout it out.

The Housatonic is still a little warm I would think and many of the trout are probably still in the legally protected thermal refuges but once the water temp drops it's as good a river as any in the Catskills.
    Outstanding smallmouth fishing too.... right now..... in your town.....where you live.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

6. Likes Eddie O'Neill liked this post

September the Beaverkill by Lew Beach . Also like the Willow at this time. The good thing is it's less crowded in Sept due to the early runs on the Salmon River as of late.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Thanks a lot guys, some good info there to get me started.

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Eddie
    You should be fishing the Housatonic and the Farmington. They're right in your neighborhood and the Farmington River tail water is one of the very best trout rivers in the east.

You could go there tomorrow to scout it out.

The Housatonic is still a little warm I would think and many of the trout are probably still in the legally protected thermal refuges but once the water temp drops it's as good a river as any in the Catskills.
    Outstanding smallmouth fishing too.... right now..... in your town.....where you live.
    We will definitely be on the Housatonic and the Farmington as well. My mate has this thing about the Catskills, hence the question.
    In terms of smallmouth, where are you referring to?
    Eddie
    Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
    In terms of smallmouth, where are you referring to?
    Nutmeg Bronzebacks -- Smallmouth Bass Fly Fishing in Connecticut
    http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fish...port080813.pdf

Mid to late summer is a great time of the year to fish for smallmouth (and largemouth) bass. The Housatonic River in New Milford is not particularly photogenic but regularly yields smallmouth lunkers; further upstream don’t miss the Bass Management Area (“Stanley Tract” from Dawn Hill Road in Sharon to Skiff Mountain Road in Kent) or the Bull’s Bridge Trout & Bass Management Area (which is best fished on weekdays due to the number of tourists and swimmers it gets on weekends). Smallmouth bass are great fun on a 5-6 weight fly rod; olive, brown and rusty-orange flies resembling crayfish are particularly effective.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Sounds great to me. Thanks for the info Never fly fished for bass before. The wife is away on business at the end of the week. Guess where I will be
    Last edited by Eddie O'Neill; 08-12-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    Eddie
    Voltaire

You could also try the West Branch of the Delaware near Deposit.

I'd hit the Beaverkill, if for no other reason than the memories, it is "Holy Water".......

One stormy April night three men rode out of the darkness into the streets of the Catskills village of Roscoe. ''Gentlemen,'' said Sparse Grey Hackle, ''remove your hats. This is it.'' ''This is where the trout was invented?'' the driver asked. ''Oh,'' Mr. Hackle said, ''he existed in a crude, primitive form in Walton's England - '' ''But this,'' said Meade Schaeffer, artist and angler, ''is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim.'' It was the eve of Opening Day of the New York trout season. It can be said without irreverence that to celebrate Opening Day on the Beaverkill is a little like observing Christmas in Bethlehem. For the Beaverkill is the shrine, the fountainhead, the most beloved and best-known trout stream in America, the river of George LaBranche, Theodore Gordon, Guy Jenkins and the Flyfishers Club of Brooklyn. Red Smith

.......he wouldn't even have to catch a fish !

13. Likes Eddie O'Neill, eastfly66 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast