Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: First time

Default First time

Hi folks I am taking a friend fly fishing for the first time tomorrow morning and wondered if a 5wt or 7 wt would be a better fit for a first time out.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

Blog Entries

Default Re: First time

Let the person use the rod that suits the conditions the best.

Dennis

3. Likes Eddie O'Neill, baseman1 liked this post

Let them try both, whatever suits the conditions on the day. I would suggest that they might get on better with #7, easier, more feel when the rod loads, IMHO of course. Enjoy the day and hopefully another covert
    Eddie
    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation."
    Voltaire

5. Likes baseman1 liked this post

A friend I was trying to convert was flailing away with a cheap floppy Walmart special so I loaned him my 6wt fast action and I used his rod. He couldn't believe the difference because it fit his casting stroke so much better. I told him fishing time was too precious to waste it on a crappy rod. "well...(he says) YOU gave me that rod!" Then I remembered
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

7. Likes baseman1 liked this post

Put together the outfit you would use, considering the conditions you expect to see on this fishing trip. Then give that outfit to your friend to use. Spend more time coaching and mentoring than you do fishing. Can you enable and empower your friend to catch more fish than you ? That would be a great day for both of you. It will pay dividends long term.
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

9. Likes baseman1 liked this post

Thanks for the pointers everyone.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

Not sure why no one has asked what you are fishing for yet. If it is small - average sized trout, give him the 5. Most people aren't as terrible on their first time as you would think. There are disadvantages to using a 7 when a 5 is really the right tool.

If you are going to give him a first impression of the sport, you might as well make it realistic. If he does end up catching a fish, he will have a lot more fun with the 5 and be a lot more likely to want to pursue it further. I don't believe that even beginners would have trouble using a 5wt for trout flies.

12. Likes rccola712 liked this post

What are the specs on the rods you have to offer him? I would take both and get them started on the 7wt. If and when he or she starts to get frustrated switch them over to the 5wt. The 5wt will feel so much lighter and smoother to them it may just be the refresher they need to get back after it.

I disagree. Why would you start someone with something you know will not feel as satisfying. You aren't trying to trick someone into liking the sport here, you are trying to give them a realistic representation of what its all about and let them decide for themselves if they enjoy it.

You wouldn't teach someone to play football with a ball twice the normal size, or a basketball. Give him the most appropriate and normal tool, and leave the rest to him.

We had a great morning. He tried them both and just couldn't get the rhythm down and I assured him it is something that takes some time. He is talking about getting his own rig sometime soon. He didn't catch any fish but still enjoyed the peacefulness of nature.
    John L.

16. Likes wannafish liked this post