Tfo mini mag 6-8

jaspero

Reaction score
Any users using this rod? Very curious about casting distance, since casting from the bank. Would be used for Pike.
Currently use a clouser ten weight, but im very interested in this short rod.
Edit: the sage smallmouth would also be a contender.
Thanks

Last edited:

Hirdy

Reaction score
I've got both Mini Mags and love them to bits. Love 'em so much, I just bought a second 8-10wt version.

The 6-8 is really an 8wt or 9wt rod though. The sub-title on the label says 200 - 300gn, and by the AFTMA standards, those weights indicate an 8-10wt rod. I usually cast 8 or 9 weight lines on mine.

On the 8-10wt mini mage (300-400gn), I cast heavy "10 to 12wt lines" (Rio OBS 10 and 12wt).

Casting distance is fine. Maybe 20' shorter than with a 9' rod at most. However, the shorter rods feel lighter, so you can cast all day with them.

These rods are my go-to rods from the kayak, but I use them just about everywhere that big fish might be found.

The only way you'll be disappointed with the 6-8wt is if you think you're buying a rod that will load up with a 6wt or 7wt line.

Cheers,
Graeme

bmbailes

Reaction score
redington predator, sage bass, bass pro heat...i'm sure theres others. i own the tfo and the predator....both are awesome!

M

mridenour

Thanks, I do a lot of bass fishing for what I call "medium-sized" bass in the 4-8 pound class and I don't have a fly rod that I feel can dig them out of the weeds. I'd like to do some comparison shopping even though I really like my TFO equipment.

jaspero

Reaction score
Could the mini mag be the only rod to have for pike/bass.
Or more of an addition to a nine footer?

bp8777

Reaction score
looking for some more info on the mini mag. I live in the northeast and would be using it from a boat and also wading the north shore harbors and south shore bays. I like the idea of a shorter stick with the power to pull a big striper away from a bridge. Or throwing big 12in bunker flys in the ocean at big fish over 30lbs. But my concern is that , will it lack in casting distance? will it fire a 80 ft cast or more with say airflow sniper line? Most guys are pushing me towards the loomis short stix, but I like to no all my options. THANKS!!!

Hirdy

Reaction score
G'day BP,

The distance thing is up to you. The rod can do it ... ;)

For those flies, you're going to want the 8-10 fitted with a 10wt line though. Even then, a 12" fly is a big one and you may need a 12wt system. (Not a lot of fun to cast all day.)

Cheers,
Graeme