fly line question

rogue runner

Reaction score
I'm sure you guys get tired of answering stupid newby questions. but I am going to ask anyways, since I don't know anyone else that fly fishes and you guys are so patient;)

I am looking for a 9wt fly line and have found this on an auction sight, but not sure if it will work for my single hander. I mainly swing nymphs and wets in fast water.

Cortland Fly Line
Precision Salmon - Steelhead
Stock #: 463226
WF9F
Weight Forward Floating - Long Belly - Dual Loop
Line Weight: 9
Color: SL Green / Straw / Fluorescent Green
140 feet

If you have any better suggestions I would love to hear them. I spent all afternoon looking locally and had no luck finding anything. I can pick this one up for 45.00

jaybo41

Reaction score
I don't have any specific experience with that Cortland Steelhead/Salmon line but I'd expect it to have a long head/belly which is most desirable for mending longer distances. It sounds like it would be a solid option, you're on the right track. SA, Rio, Airflo, Orvis and most other well known fly line companies all have lines with similar tapers. Some of them are labeled as Steelhead/Salmon taper and others are not. This is one instance of where learning about the tapers of line comes can pay dividends.

caberguy

Reaction score
Check on Amazon, they've got some more general purpose lines for a better price, they've got the Cortland 333+ for $27, but I'd go with the SA Supra for $30 (free shipping too)... just search WF9F

audax

Reaction score
Just checked the auction site. The listing I saw states "TRI-COLOR SPEY", indicating it's sized for double handers. Single hander lines are usually ~30 to 35 yds, much shorter than the length of the listed line. So I'd cross this one off your list.

What's your budget for a line? What rod are you matching it with? How big is the water you're fishing; I get that it's "fast," but how far out are you casting?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I'm sure you guys get tired of answering stupid newby questions. but I am going to ask anyways, since I don't know anyone else that fly fishes and you guys are so patient;)

I am looking for a 9wt fly line and have found this on an auction sight, but not sure if it will work for my single hander. I mainly swing nymphs and wets in fast water.

Cortland Fly Line
Precision Salmon - Steelhead

Stock #: 463226
WF9F
Weight Forward Floating - Long Belly - Dual Loop
Line Weight: 9
Color: SL Green / Straw / Fluorescent Green
140 feet
PS: Disregard what I said. I just saw what audax found out.

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Just checked the auction site. The listing I saw states "TRI-COLOR SPEY", indicating it's sized for double handers. Single hander lines are usually ~30 to 35 yds, much shorter than the length of the listed line. So I'd cross this one off your list.

What's your budget for a line? What rod are you matching it with? How big is the water you're fishing; I get that it's "fast," but how far out are you casting?
That's a good catch. They make both a single hand and 2 hand version labeled with Steelhead/Salmon. You want the 90 foot line, not the 140.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Orvis has some of their lines on sale. Even though I don't buy much from them, I'm still on their email list. The ones I peeked at were less than that $45 price, but didn't look much further since I don't need any lines right now.

Might be worth checking out! :)

audax

Reaction score
That's a good catch. They make both a single hand and 2 hand version labeled with Steelhead/Salmon. You want the 90 foot line, not the 140.
If I hadn't seen the line length in the first post, I'd have never even looked for the auction.

trout champ

Reaction score
The right or wrong fly line can make or break your fly rod. I would go to your local fly shop or big box shop (ie Cabelas/Bass Pro) and check out lines available for your rod and casting stroke. They will even spool the line for you.

Randy

audax

Reaction score
The right or wrong fly line can make or break your fly rod. I would go to your local fly shop or big box shop (ie Cabelas/Bass Pro) and check out lines available for your rod and casting stroke. They will even spool the line for you.

Randy
I couldn't agree more. With so many line taper configurations today, a new fly flinger can easily end up with a line that is a lousy match for a particular rod or type of fishing.

rogue runner

Reaction score
I really appreciate the suggestions and advice thus far. I'm somewhat limited on local options. In fact I checked all of them today and only found two.

The rod I am pairing this line with is a two piece 9' lamiglas g1000 . I generally fish about 60% out of a drift boat and 40% from the bank. As I said most of the runs I fish are fast and shallow. Six foot is deep, two to four is average. With the exception of some deeper holes. And probably averages 150'+ wide. For the most part I fish weighted nymphs,wets and egg patterns under an indicator (usually a thingamabobber) although I have been playing with drys without much luck (different rod though)
And depending on the time of year I'm targeting steelhead or salmon.

And as for ability, I am a self taught fly fisherman. I can afford a decent line but would prefer to only buy one. And I am hoping to figure this out soon because my section of the river changes to fly only next Saturday. Which by the way marks my one year anniversary fly fishing :wavetowel

Thankyou!

Last edited:

rogue runner

Reaction score
Well thanks again for all the input, but it seems that now I have allot more time for research and contemplation.

As is typical of my luck, I have been keeping up with the thread on fly tying rooms. And having a little time on my hands decided I need to clean up my
fly tying / reloading cave. Sooo my wife comes out to visit and being so impressed with the cleanliness and organization says " you need some mini blinds for the windows". She promptly went to town and returned with some.
I start to install the blinds in the window in the corner when it slips out of my hands. I look down and.

MY GOSH DANGED JUST BACK FROM LAMIGLAS FOR HAVING A NEW TIP BUILT ROD, IS IN THE SAME CORNER AND GUESS WHAT!!!!! IT HAS A BROKEN TIP!!!:ranting3:

Ahh I feel better for letting that out, sorry you had to hear it. So it is headed back to the factory in the morning. At least I have a backup.

Thanks again for your help.