Likes Likes:  45
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Uh-oh...a new Abel reel

If the warden saw me onstream with that, I'd get pulled over fer sure! milt
    "Thomas Jeff..." Senator Reisman (Sam Shepard) Swordfish

2. Likes von behr, dean_mt, shotgunfly liked this post

I looked these again today. I have no Abel hole in my line up to add one of these reels even though I've tried. Sure, I could sell a fish graphic Super 4N to fund one, or I could sell off another Abel where I have duplicity. Then I got to thinking, I went to tons of dead shows across a few states in my 20's. The lifestyle was so simplistic, basic, cheap. It got me to thinking, what would Jerry think about a $1,000 fly reel. Pretty crazy when you think about it. From $1 grilled cheese sandwiches and $2 Pale Ales to $1,000 for an Abel Grateful Dead reel.

4. Likes dean_mt, jaybo41, fishers_fisherman liked this post

I'd pay them an extra $300 to not paint all that goofy stuff on my reel.
    Last edited by mudbug; 08-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.

6. Likes dean_mt, imxer, Ard liked this post

Am I the only one that prefers my Abels in solid matte black?

8. Likes imxer, Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Am I the only one that prefers my Abels in solid matte black?
    I actually prefer gloss black above all others. Admittedly my HD Brown Trout Super 4N is a beaut and I have another fish graphic that is a pretty beautiful reel(Von Behr), I still perfer over all others that beautiful Abel gloss black.

Quote Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
    I looked these again today. I have no Abel hole in my line up to add one of these reels even though I've tried. Sure, I could sell a fish graphic Super 4N to fund one, or I could sell off another Abel where I have duplicity. Then I got to thinking, I went to tons of dead shows across a few states in my 20's. The lifestyle was so simplistic, basic, cheap. It got me to thinking, what would Jerry think about a $1,000 fly reel. Pretty crazy when you think about it. From $1 grilled cheese sandwiches and $2 Pale Ales to $1,000 for an Abel Grateful Dead reel.
    I'm glad someone besides me finally pointed out the irony here. It was on my mind as soon as I saw this. Baby boomers that traded in their tie-dyes for pin-stripes and Wall Street can now buy $1000 fishing reels. Pretty hilarious.

If I lived close by, I'd sit outside the Abel factory with a cardboard sign that read: I NEED A MIRACLE!

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    If I lived close by, I'd sit outside the Abel factory with a cardboard sign that read: I NEED A MIRACLE!
    Nice.

I'm a Dead Head, but honestly I think it looks pretty silly. Would I buy one if I won the lottery, sure... but short of that I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
    Nice.

I'm a Dead Head, but honestly I think it looks pretty silly. Would I buy one if I won the lottery, sure... but short of that I just don't see it happening.
    Right on. But even then a Steal Your Face fly reel would pretty low on my list of things. I find it pretty silly as well.

If they make their nippers with a stealie option... I may eat my own words on owning a pair...

14. Likes chi flyfisher, jaybo41 liked this post

I am happy to see that I wasn't the only dead head that was going to jump on this. Dead gear + fly fishing + more gear = happy guy. BUT I'm not made of money and my current gear works just fine, I'll pass
    "The core of mans spirit comes from new experiences" - C.J. McCandless

16. Likes chi flyfisher, jaybo41 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast