Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tippet Yes or No Help!

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    Do you plan on purchasing a fly line that has a built in loop on the end? I would and use tapered leaders with a loop end to make things simple for a while anyway. It is a replacement for tying up your own leader and tippet.
    I would just keep it simple for awhile.

2. Default Re: Tippet Yes or No Help!

On a brand new leader I tie my first few flies right to the tapered leader. From there I start to tie on lengths of desired weight tippet to get to a bit more length than the leader had to begin with. When I get to a ratio of 50/50 or so I start running bigger tippet to smaller tippet. Not long after that I am changing leaders.

I always kept a few spools of tippet of various sizes and a few spare tapered leaders in my sling pack. Also make sure you have a line straightener so you don't have curls and you can get your line to lay out right.

Quote Originally Posted by 44runner View Post
    On a brand new leader I tie my first few flies right to the tapered leader. From there I start to tie on lengths of desired weight tippet to get to a bit more length than the leader had to begin with. When I get to a ratio of 50/50 or so I start running bigger tippet to smaller tippet. Not long after that I am changing leaders.

I always kept a few spools of tippet of various sizes and a few spare tapered leaders in my sling pack. Also make sure you have a line straightener so you don't have curls and you can get your line to lay out right.
    Pretty much what I would do. I'd get 9' leaders and pretty much use the first 2' for tying flies on direct then tie a small loop to loop on tippet material.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishbob View Post
    I will be getting my first rod and reel this week. In looking at web sites for setting up my line I found one that shows using a tippet between the fly line and the leader, and one that shows attaching a tapered leader directly to the fly line.
    I am now confused. Does a tapered leader replace the tippet and a non tapered leader?
    I need to understand this a little better before I go to the fishing store to buy this stuff.
    Thanks in advance for your help

Bob
    LL Bean rigs their combos that way. I ordered one and they had about 8" of 30lb test nail knotted to the flyline with a loop for the leader. I wasn't intending on using the line anyway but didnt like that rig either way.
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishbob View Post
    In looking at web sites for setting up my line I found one that shows using a tippet between the fly line and the leader, and one that shows attaching a tapered leader directly to the fly line.
    Good advice so far on stepping down leader/tippet from appx. the stiffness of the fly line to however thin you want the tippet to be where you tie the fly on.

I was puzzled by your reference to a website with tippet before the heavier leader. One wild guess on the difference in websites you were looking at. Sometimes, when going for "toothy" species a piece of thinner tippet at the actual breaking strength you want will be closer to the fly line and a very heavy tippet (shock tippet) is attached at the end just before the fly to prevent the fish's teeth from cutting it. Like I said just a WAG because you would still taper the leader to the breaking strength tippet before putting on the shock tippet.

Keep in mind that a tapered leader really aids in casting. It kinda creates an extension of your flyline. It is not recommended for novices to start casting with a straight leader. You could develope bad habits if that fly isnt landing where you want it. The tapered leader will help the fly turn over. I personally recommend using a tapered leader even for practice. It will shorten the learning curve by "using the right tool for the job"
    Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Tippet Yes or No Help!

Quote Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
    Good advice so far on stepping down leader/tippet from appx. the stiffness of the fly line to however thin you want the tippet to be where you tie the fly on.

I was puzzled by your reference to a website with tippet before the heavier leader. One wild guess on the difference in websites you were looking at. Sometimes, when going for "toothy" species a piece of thinner tippet at the actual breaking strength you want will be closer to the fly line and a very heavy tippet (shock tippet) is attached at the end just before the fly to prevent the fish's teeth from cutting it. Like I said just a WAG because you would still taper the leader to the breaking strength tippet before putting on the shock tippet.

Good call, hadn't thought of that as we don't really have that sort of thing here in the PNW.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

turbineblade Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Keep in mind that a tapered leader really aids in casting. It kinda creates an extension of your flyline. It is not recommended for novices to start casting with a straight leader. You could develope bad habits if that fly isnt landing where you want it. The tapered leader will help the fly turn over. I personally recommend using a tapered leader even for practice. It will shorten the learning curve by "using the right tool for the job"
    This is the opinion of about 98% of fly fishermen and I wouldn't argue with you.....it's just not that way I like to do it.

Regardless -- just tie something onto the end of the fly line and get out and practice. You'll learn what you like and don't like after you get comfortable with good casting mechanics. Remember to try to really toss that fly line behind you straight back on your backcast. Even just let it fall to the ground behind you. The backcast is everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12