Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's your location

What's up with people that don't show their location on a forum. I don't expect a street address, just your state, province or territory. This forum is pretty good , but another forum that I participate, they are terrible for indicating their location, as if they are in hiding or something. I constantly have to ask when inquiring about an item for sale. If they are in Canada, I save customs duties. Has anyone else noticed this lack of info on individuals bio? Is it important to you or is it just me? I stop bitc...g now.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: What's your location

i hazard the guess that most folks skip the 'additional information' about themselves unless is required at sign up.
    I had a bunch of stuff on my page here, but took it down after a while.
    Eunan

Addicted To Vise Flies

3. Likes motorshooter liked this post

Many of us are reluctant to post much personal info, for fear that when the Canadians invade, they will take all our fly rods back with them after martial law is invoked.
    We would become a duty free port for the Commonwealth, and be forced to speak better English, eh. Well not me !
    I'll give up my flyrod when they pry it from my cold dead fingers, eh?

But seriously, yes. Please add your location, folks !
    Last edited by siege; 09-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

Location is important because it helps add context to advice and reports.

"Help me ID this bug" becomes a lot more relevant if you can just glance up and see where the poster is located. Likewise with "How do I catch small-stream brookies?"

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs down Re: What's your location

Quote Originally Posted by siege View Post
    Many of us are reluctant to post much personal info, for fear that when the Canadians invade, they will take all our fly rods back with them after martial law is invoked.
    We would become a duty free port for the Commonwealth, and be forced to speak better English, eh. Well not me !

Being Canadian, we're already here ......

But I totally agree with the point of this thread. Read a thread where a question is being asked, mostly about 'gear,' the first thing I do is look for a location. What may be 'appropriate' for my area may be well off the mark for theirs.

FOLKS! I get very tired of asking the most obvious questions just to get a context! And I'm sure I'm not alone. Posters ask a 'good question' but if you have no locational context how to answer, what could you constructively add? Including nothing.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Curious, while I assume that most Americans know what DFW is, do most Canadiens?
    "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" - Lee Wulff

To some extent I agree. DFW, I assume is Dang far west . The state would be nice. I do know by the way.

Why as Canadians would we ever invade anyone. We have it all, very seldom brag about it and are a happy nation. I wouldn't want your fly gear anyway, I have enough (almost enough) to be fairly content. eh !!! On this issue of posting, I see that we agree.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

11. Likes siege, fredaevans liked this post

Worst part would be spelling color and honor with a 'u'. That and pronouncing 'z', zed
    - William

13. Likes von behr liked this post

I once had an unpleasant time with a...how to put it...um...nut case (not on this forum) and ever since then I try to remain a little vague on exact details on line. My location is about as precise as I am comfortable with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast