The wives don't understand...

M

mridenour

My buddy and I were laughed at for fishing in the front yard last night. We busted out the 9WT and made some casts in the grass in preparation for our trip to Michigan in a few weeks. Our wives thought it was funny and were attempting to get pictures of us fishing for grass to post on Facebook. We foiled their attempts to make fun of us in social media but they still had a good laugh.:rolleyes:

They just don't understand us.

T

turbineblade

My wife fishes along with me 100% of the time I'm on the water -- in all weather and stream conditions. I can't say I relate to this ;).

M

mridenour

My wife fishes along with me 100% of the time I'm on the water -- in all weather and stream conditions. I can't say I relate to this ;).
My wife only fishes once in a while and only while the fish are biting. She thinks I am crazy.

streamborn_jr77

Reaction score
lol yard casting been doing if for years!!! once I cast across the street (i was like 11) and snagged a car as it went bye you wanna talk about some line getting peeled off your reel lol..... My pops was right next to me thought it was the funniest thing ever lol

M

mridenour

lol yard casting been doing if for years!!! once I cast across the street (i was like 11) and snagged a car as it went bye you wanna talk about some line getting peeled off your reel lol..... My pops was right next to me thought it was the funniest thing ever lol
That is awesome!!! I would love to have seen that. Heck, I would love to do that. I might grab an old cheapo outfit from the garage and try to catch the mailman.

yonder

Reaction score
That is awesome!!! I would love to have seen that. Heck, I would love to do that. I might grab an old cheapo outfit from the garage and try to catch the mailman.
Alright now........y'all git your butts back up here in the yard, and quit playing in the street..........:D:D:D..........seriously, I have heard that hooking those october albacore off the N.C. coast are like hooking into a car going down the interstate!!! Yes, I have pondered the notion of playing in the street myself!!:D:D....and no, my wife doesn't understand either......why so many flyrods, and what is this whole catch and release thing all about????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

M

mridenour

My Facebook account is loaded with comments like "Ya mean you didn't even keep one fish and eat it???" "Please tell me you ate some of those!!!"

Lots of people don't understand C&R!!!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
My wife just looks the other way when I do that. The neighbors on the other hand, are generally confused. One neighbor bet me I couldnt hit his car as he drove away......challange accepted!! I hit the back glass of his SUV dead center with a giant thud from a 10wt saltwater line. He seemed alittle unammused I was actually able to hit him. I also get asked how the grass and trees taste when I catch them....they are usually a bit rough to get down!!!

axle27

Reaction score
I think they understand us about as well as we understand them.

Next time, tell them you are fishing for grass carp.

shimloom

Reaction score
You want funny looks. Go camping and while sitting around the camp break out a fly rod and some small flies and go fish for lizards! You talk about looks!

Craig

busbus

Reaction score
They just don't understand us.
Well, I bought an el cheapo rod on eBay over the weekend. I said it was for my son, and it is, sort of. And she knew it wasn't "really" for him. She was okay with the first rod and reel. Then Jason gave me another rod. I obtained another reel (for the rod Jason gave me, of course). And now I got this rod.

I can't see it stopping now.

Problem is, she doesn't either. Especially since she caught me looking at eBay again last night looking for a rod that I can use for steelheads. And I also need another reel.

You are absolutely correct: She simply does not understand. Tell me again why is it more important to pay the rent on the kids' apartments in college than me buying some more equipment?

Oh, and I also get the rolling eyes and shaking head when she sees me lawn cast. She thinks it is especially funny whenever I get hooked on one of the tree branches that overhang the yard.

airwhipper

Reaction score
It's also fun to cast to cats as they move around the yard. They think I'm playing with them. My wife knows better. She keeps a REAL CLOSE eye on me when I break out my bowfishing gear.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Toni ask me 'Michael, you have rods that lifetime warranties are a must....just to catch a fish you are gonna turn back in 5 seconds ?'

I just answer 'Exactly, Dear, you have it now !' :wavetowel

calftail

Reaction score
I don't get the guilt I feel buying a $39 fly rod which will last me a lifetime and the other will drop $100 bucks on a haircut that lasts 3 weeks.

Men are from y chromosomes and women are from x chromosomes or something like those planets. Anyways...

Lawn casting is good for the soul. The dog likes it when I'm out here doing it...what can I say.:)

skrap

Reaction score
Not to hijack here but since you are all talking about practice casting in the yard I thought I'd ask.

I was told by the local FF shop owner to not practice on grass sat can mess put the fly line. Basically said over time, all the little sharp edges of the lawn will cause abrasions on the line. Any truth to this?

By the way, since I just got into FF again she looks at it two ways.

1). Just one more hobby to spend money on. Hey, I have a job too.;)

2). My young son is getting FF gear too so it is good with her.:wavetowel

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
I consider myself lucky.

I have had 2 of these creatures you call wife's.

Dont get me wrong...marriage has it's positives. Mostly my amazing 17 year old daughter!!!!!!

but now....

If i want a rod/reel gear...i buy it.
Season tickets ....done
long weekends away to a favorite trout stream....done.
NOT doing yard work.........im the best.

Companionship you say??......i'll get a Lab.