New Fly Fishing Friend

nc_cooter

Reaction score
My new fly fishing friend is my wife. We have fished together for 22+ years, but she has always used UL spin gear and has never shown any interest in fly fishing. She has been over 4 months recovering from back surgery and finally doing well.
About 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, she asked if I would teach her to fish with a fly rod. Took me a bit to comprehend her question, I said I would be glad to do it. We practiced about an hour twice a day as time permitted. Not being a great caster myself, we had a lot of laughs.
Yesterday we went to the pond for her first fly fishing adventure. Took her about an hour to get used to casting from a sitting position and to settle down. She missed a few fish trying to set the hook too soon, but she soon got the hang of it. This is her first fish on a fly rod.

She was using a Cabela's Three Forks 5wt. She caught a total of 5 bream about the same size as the first. She now totally hooked herself.

Thanks for looking,
Mike

busbus

Reaction score
Mike,

That's great!!

Can you ask your wife to see what you can do to get my wife to go fishing with me? I have tried and tried and tried with no success. :(

ray

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
My new fly fishing friend is my wife. We have fished together for 22+ years, but she has always used UL spin gear and has never shown any interest in fly fishing. She has been over 4 months recovering from back surgery and finally doing well.
About 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, she asked if I would teach her to fish with a fly rod. Took me a bit to comprehend her question, I said I would be glad to do it. We practiced about an hour twice a day as time permitted. Not being a great caster myself, we had a lot of laughs.
Yesterday we went to the pond for her first fly fishing adventure. Took her about an hour to get used to casting from a sitting position and to settle down. She missed a few fish trying to set the hook too soon, but she soon got the hang of it. This is her first fish on a fly rod.

She was using a Cabela's Three Forks 5wt. She caught a total of 5 bream about the same size as the first. She now totally hooked herself.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
TOO COOL!

Good on you both.

Fred

siege

Reaction score
Just awesome, Mike. Next she'll be talking you into a nice camp trailer, a pickup truck, and trips out west. Bet she'd enjoy a little pontoon boat, too. Sit and fish, fish and sit... it "just doan git mush better n dat "
Congrats to the new fly fisherperson, and to you. ENJOY !

enolaeagle

Reaction score
That's awesome! I'm on the same trail with my my wife but she won't fish with me until I get her a purple rod and reel. It may happen soon because I got a nice lead for some gear options that will definately work.

Glad you guys had a great time together!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike: that is great news! You now will have a fly fishing partner for life, it doesn't get much better than that!

Larry