Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Fly Fishing Friend

My new fly fishing friend is my wife. We have fished together for 22+ years, but she has always used UL spin gear and has never shown any interest in fly fishing. She has been over 4 months recovering from back surgery and finally doing well.
    About 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, she asked if I would teach her to fish with a fly rod. Took me a bit to comprehend her question, I said I would be glad to do it. We practiced about an hour twice a day as time permitted. Not being a great caster myself, we had a lot of laughs.
    Yesterday we went to the pond for her first fly fishing adventure. Took her about an hour to get used to casting from a sitting position and to settle down. She missed a few fish trying to set the hook too soon, but she soon got the hang of it. This is her first fish on a fly rod.

She was using a Cabela's Three Forks 5wt. She caught a total of 5 bream about the same size as the first. She now totally hooked herself.

Thanks for looking,
    Mike

Default Re: New Fly Fishing Friend

Way to go!!!! Bluegills on a fly rod make for some great sport!!! Congrats to you and the Mrs. on having a great day together!!
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: New Fly Fishing Friend

Congratulations on your new fly angler convert. Sounds to me like this may have just been the start of even more wonderful times together with a love for sport you both share in common.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

4. Likes yonder liked this post

Mike,

That's great!!

Can you ask your wife to see what you can do to get my wife to go fishing with me? I have tried and tried and tried with no success.

ray
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” –Henry David Thoreau
    Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.” –Groucho Marx

Great Stuff! My wife has become my favorite fly fishing companion.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by nc_cooter View Post
    My new fly fishing friend is my wife. We have fished together for 22+ years, but she has always used UL spin gear and has never shown any interest in fly fishing. She has been over 4 months recovering from back surgery and finally doing well.
    About 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, she asked if I would teach her to fish with a fly rod. Took me a bit to comprehend her question, I said I would be glad to do it. We practiced about an hour twice a day as time permitted. Not being a great caster myself, we had a lot of laughs.
    Yesterday we went to the pond for her first fly fishing adventure. Took her about an hour to get used to casting from a sitting position and to settle down. She missed a few fish trying to set the hook too soon, but she soon got the hang of it. This is her first fish on a fly rod.

She was using a Cabela's Three Forks 5wt. She caught a total of 5 bream about the same size as the first. She now totally hooked herself.

Thanks for looking,
    Mike
    TOO COOL!

Good on you both.

Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

Excellent! Can't wait for my wife to retire...

Just awesome, Mike. Next she'll be talking you into a nice camp trailer, a pickup truck, and trips out west. Bet she'd enjoy a little pontoon boat, too. Sit and fish, fish and sit... it "just doan git mush better n dat "
    Congrats to the new fly fisherperson, and to you. ENJOY !
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

Blog Entries

Good to hear you'll be able to fly fish together Mike. I'd rather have 2 flies on the water than just one.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

That's awesome! I'm on the same trail with my my wife but she won't fish with me until I get her a purple rod and reel. It may happen soon because I got a nice lead for some gear options that will definately work.

Glad you guys had a great time together!
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast