Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I possibly fly fish in NYC?

Default Where can I possibly fly fish in NYC?

So I live right outside of Boston and my fiancÚ wants to move to NYC (she lived there for a while before coming here). The only problem I have with it (Yankees suck, cough) is that it appears to be completely devoid of any good fly fishing water.

It looks like the lakes in Central Park may be decent, but I'm not sure how crowded they get and what the fish situation is in there. I may not have my car if we move there so getting outside the city will be difficult.

Does anybody know what the fly fishing situation is like if you live in the city or just outside of it?

Default Re: Where can I possibly fly fish in NYC?

Largemouth bass are available in Central Park. You might have to roll cast to avoid hooking a passing jogger, but I've heard there's decent fishing there.
    ....Just one more cast...

Check out the current issue of Drake magazine.......page 100.......
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Blog Entries

I do know that back in the 90's there was a guy doing guide trips in Central park for LMB.

He also did trips into the subway fishing for rats - saw some film/vid of that.... was pretty scarey looking. Could never get time off to go when he had an opening.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    Check out the current issue of Drake magazine.......page 100.......
    I don't get The Drake.

Prospect Park in Brooklyn, definitely. There also seems to be a small but growing contingent of people chasing saltwater species in the estuaries with kayaks, paddleboards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    I don't get The Drake.
    Sorry......my bad....... It's a really good article on that very specific area..........
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: Where can I possibly fly fish in NYC?

Quote Originally Posted by von behr View Post
    Largemouth bass are available in Central Park. You might have to roll cast to avoid hooking a passing jogger, but I've heard there's decent fishing there.
    This is true, a bit on TV just this morning on fishing in Cent-Park. Just a thought, but everyone was using a spinning rod/reel. I can assume the 'why.'
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I've heard the striper fishing in the rivers is surprisingly good. Now whether you can fly fish from shore or will need to buy a kayack or a spinning rod I don't know. There is a guy who has pretty good show on the cooking channel called "Hook, Line and Dinner". The premise is he goes fishing somewhere then cooks dinner with the locals at a local eatery. He got his start as a food blogger and amateur chef who fished a lot in the city though. I'd look up his show, follow links to the blog and read. There are also a lot of high end fishing shops in the city. Call around.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast