Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Perhaps an odd question

1. Default Perhaps an odd question

I collect autogrpahs, for personal history (as it where) and not for commerical resale. This fall and next year I will be attending several conferences that will have fly fishing celebrities and need some help:

What book would you vote to have all of them signing. I am leaning towards either Compleat Angler or River Runs Through it...but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe a book that each person would have read and could sign/mark their favorite selections.

Default Re: Perhaps an odd question

Interesting hobby! IMO it might depend on who those persons may be. Fly fishing runs the gambit from panfish anglers to big game. If those folks will be mostly trout anglers, then either book might be appropriate. If they're more so saltwater or warmwater anglers, then neither might be. Depends on your perspective too.

Although, if it was me & those folks are more so trout anglers, I would go with the "Compleat Angler", as it's more fly fishing oriented than "A River Runs Through It".
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I'd not mind a Gierach autograph.

Quote Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
    I'd not mind a Gierach autograph.
    I would not mind either, as I enjoy his works.........or Lefty as well, as he is a great entertainer, as well, as I have personally talked to him........I like the way he spends time with the kids at the fly fishing shows..........IMHO......
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

If any of those celebrity fishermen have written a book, THAT would be the way to go. It's a compliment to the author to ask him to autograph his own work, and would enhance your collection.
    If you have the time, and the money, find as many of each celebrity's books as possible to take with you. There are some treasures at used bookstores also.
    As far as having them all sign one book, pick a classic by an author who is no longer with us, so there is no conflict among rival authors.
    Don't forget your Sharpie !
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

One other note. Don't have him autograph it to you. That kills the resale value (why, I don't know). You just want the signature.

I would get each individual to sign their own books. If you are getting a bunch of autographs in one book it should be something like Trout Bum, but only if John Geirach is there to sign first.

Randy
    Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. Im never closer to my spirituality than when Im in the act of fishing. - JT Van Zandt

9. Likes siege liked this post

I have lots of autographed fly fishing books and the authors are always willing to sign.
    The only multi-autographed book that I have that's not from an single individual author is "Fly Patterns of Umpqua Feather Merchants" which has short profiles of a number of different fly innovators and I've had them sign their own page.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

The only autograph I've ever gotten was from Lefty who signed a picture of my son at three years old catching a snapper bluefish on a fly rod which was published in a fishing magazine. The caption on the photo says "Move over Lefty" ! He got a big kick out of it! He signed it 17 years after the picture was published and my son treasures it! That was one autograph I'm glad I asked for!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser