Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  214
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Show us your boat

Quote Originally Posted by von behr View Post
    I'm really diggin' all the cool boats on here. Keep 'em comin'. But I have to say I'm especially intrigued by this one. It looks like a beefy combination between a drift boat and a motor boat. I've never seen one of these before.

I'm curious how it performs on a lake or in choppy water. It has a mean look to it. How's the handling on that bad boy?

-VB
    It is much like the old Dory style boats...

They classify them nowadays as "Power Drifters"...

The Stealthcraft version like I now own does not utilize a tunnel hull, therefore it does really well in a chop and on still water in comparison to other companies "Power Drifters". Tunnel hulls, no matter how well they are designed, will cause the motor to cavitate in waves/chop... It is still a flat bottom boat though so it's not going to handle waves like say a "Deep V" style boat would...

This boat runs just as shallow as my Rogue did which had a tunnel hull, I have ran this boat in 6" of water and never touched. So my opinion on tunnel hulls has definitely changed since owning this new boat, I would never own a boat with a jet drive and have a tunnel hull again...

It will do 25+ MPH up river and gets on plane right now so really does a great job of running up and down river under power. With the Yamaha F60 Jet Drive you can cruise at 1/2 throttle and do about 20MPH getting GREAT fuel economy...

It rows like a dream "easier than most 15' drift boats" and has a ton of space and a very very stable fishing platform...

Stealthcraft uses a material called "Plascore" it's essentially a honeycomb polymer material that is extremely strong, light weight and is USCG approved as flotation, so you don't have to use the sprayed in foam like the aluminum versions of these boats must have. That foam sucks up moisture and can add 200+ pounds of weight to your hull. My hull weights less than 450 pounds, aluminum hulls of these same style boats average over 550 pounds and like I said, that foam they use always takes on moisture, adding weight. Not to mention, my hull is safer and more durable than aluminum would be...

I had a Rogue Stealth before this one, which is the same deal you would get from Hyde or Fish-Rite as well, did not even compare to this Stealthcraft in any way, and the Stealthcraft boats are cheaper...

Here is the interior of my boat...

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

The chines are also more rounded on this boat in comparison to the aluminum power drifters out there...

What that does is allows the boat to turn under power much much smoother than the square chines would, no more of the slide, grab, slide, grab feeling when turning like other sleds have...

The back 5' of the boat on the bottom has two ribs which keep the boat tracking straight while rowing, etc... to negate any disadvantage there would be to having a rounded chine. They stick down an inch if that and you would never know they were there if you didn't look...

These boats are designed with an attention to detail, like no other...
    Last edited by kwb; 09-19-2013 at 08:43 AM.

2. Likes ted4887, mcnerney, von behr, Ard liked this post

Very cool. Thanks for the additional information about your boat.

I have a 20+ year old bathub Mako hull that I have always liked for it's wide beam and simplicity. With the original light motor it draws less than 9 inches. It too has a slight and rounded dead rise towards the stern.

I just changed my mind yesterday on adding "chines" (actually stabilizer "rudder strips') to my nearly finished bolt-on transom bait wells till after running it awhile - thinking that the bottom edge of the wells may help out that problem. That hull is noted for sliding around corners when driving crazy - like my daughter is wont to do.

Foam - even modern "closed cell" after considerable beating, can hold both water and gas. Mine had about 7 gallons of gas in it when I started the rebuild. The tank compartment (coffin) had no provisions for drainage to the bilge, and salt water coming in around the center console filled the gap between the bottom of the tank and the ruptured foam cells - rotting it out.

Realistically, I am probably still two months off till splash day - since life continues happening to me. However, that will be in time for sailfish season.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

4. Likes kwb, von behr, Ard liked this post

kwb,

Thanks for the description. That is one very cool boat. You prompted me to check out their website, and I'm impressed with their products. Someday, when I'm in the market for a motorized boat, that just might be a consideration.

Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

-VB
    ....Just one more cast...

6. Likes kwb, Ard liked this post

This is my current setup.

That being said I probably have just as many hours logged in Swimmy's Clacka.

Somewhere in the greater Bozeman area is a guide that will decide to offload his Deville this winter......then it will be a two boat armada.

8. Likes von behr, kwb, mcnerney, trout trekker, Ard, cochise liked this post

Holy cow, Swamp! Looks like you could ferry hog-tied beef critters on that rig.

"Shallow-water" is probably no longer even in your vocabulary. I'll bet you don't spend much time slogging and dragging through skinny water.

What's the draft lightly-loaded, about a quarter-inch? I bet you can spin that baby on a dime with two spatulas.

Very cool rig.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

10. Likes von behr, swampdonkey, Ard liked this post

Swamp,

Who's your navigator? He looks right at home up there guarding the goods.

-VB

12. Likes Ard, swampdonkey liked this post

This is my partner in crime at a rest stop south of Idaho Falls with the new drifter that followed us home a couple of weeks ago. The other shots are just grist for the mill. One at anchor on a beach for a lunch break, the other, a view from the sticks.

Our set of Buck’s Bullet float tubes will continue to have a place in the lineup.

TT

14. Likes kwb, von behr, ted4887, mcnerney, Ard liked this post

TT,

That shot from the sticks is great. It looks like a perfect day on the water, whether the fish were biting or not. That's quality time right there. Nice boat too.

-VB

16. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
    This is my partner in crime at a rest stop south of Idaho Falls with the new drifter that followed us home a couple of weeks ago. The other shots are just grist for the mill. One at anchor on a beach for a lunch break, the other, a view from the sticks.

TT

That's a mighty fine looking rig you've got there TT!

18. Likes Ard liked this post

Ted,

Quote Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
    That's a mighty fine looking rig you've got there TT!
    What are the odds?
    It’s good to see forum members exercising excellent taste and judgment……

I like the red, it pops !
    The rear brace and pedestal design would seem to indicate that yours is fairly young as well.

TT

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast