Attaching 2x tippet on a 5x tapered leader.

ibcrewin

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been following the boards and have picked up a LOT of information. I've also been enjoying all the great pics you guys post.

I have a question I haven't really seen an answer too. I have a 5x tapered leader on my set up right now. I've changed flies a few times and I've trimmed off about 2ft so far. I was thinking of throwing some size 4 flies and I know I need a 2x tippet..

Can I attach the 2x tippet material (from a spool) to the 5x leader? From what i've seen the 5x is the first 24" of material 3x is the next six inches, and the next 6 after that is 2x. It seems obvious to me that the answer is yes, but I'm not 100% sure.

Your thoughts?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes! When you go to tie in the 2x tippet just make sure it is equal to or smaller (in diameter) than what you have remaining on the leader.

L

Liphookedau

As Larry has said it's quite easy to do make sure you make a good knot also if needed you can add the 2X on again.
Brian.

fq13

Reaction score
Not a problem. My go to knot for tying on tippets is the surgeons knot. Its stronger and easier then a blood knot. But, if you're using a hard mono 2x, tying it to 5x, it might not bite. You'll just have to see if it holds. Here you might want to use either an Albright knot or a uni knot connection. Both are very easy to tie, and designed for tying lines of differing diameters together. They're more of a hassle than the surgeons knot, but if you tie a half dozen of each you've got it down. Here are the links.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BizEQkm_gRg]Connect backing and fly line Double Uni knot - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s40lmqVux4E]Albright Knot - YouTube[/ame]

bloomagoo

Reaction score
why not just use a loop to loop using perfection loops in both leader and tippet?

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Take the 2X tippet and place it right next to the end of the leader that you wane to add it to. You can now compare the "thickness" of the 2x tippet to the end of the leader.

If the end of the leader is thicker than the 2x tippet, most times you can tie the tippet right the end of the leader.

If the end of the leader is thinner than the 2x tippet, move the tippet until you find a section of the leader that is the same diameter as the tippet. Cut the end of the leader off and tie to the tippet to the remaining leader body which will be 2X.

pszy22

Reaction score
Just so you know, if at some point you decide you want to start fishing with 5x again, you can rebuild the leader you have on your line.

As Bloomagoo suggested, you may want to terminate the leader portion with a perfection loop. Then you can add your tippet to the loop at the end of the leader. When the tippet gets too short, just remove and replace it with a new length.

You may want to tie the loop at the end of the 2x. You can then tie your tippet directly to the 2x loop, or further step down the leader by adding a length of leader material a size or two up from the tippet to the tippet, then tying that assembly to the 2x loop. (hope I explained that clearly, the only thing complicated may be my explanation)

That's actually how I prefer to fish all my leaders/tippets. Terminating the leader with a loop makes it almost as easy to change its configuration as tying on a new fly.

have fun,

Last edited:

ibcrewin

Reaction score
Thanks all for your help and sharing your knowledge. You guys confirmed what I suspected.

Good luck to you all!