Serieal Number Problem Sage Zxl

ranger1

Reaction score
Hi,

I've Read a Thread from another forum about he broke his rod etc,
im wondering I've got a Sage Zxl 490 model I bought it on eBay From fly masters on Indianapolis and i was reading the Sage Warranty Warranty - About Sage | Sage Fly Fishing And Its say the serial code on the back has to begin with a # But mine does not Its like This AD31353 (Not the actual code) Fly masters Have Postive feedback 100% and 877 Sales .Now this might be a Stupid question please don't be mean Etc.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that some of my Sage rods start with alpha characters rather than numeric and I do know that the ones I own are alpha-numeric in nature.

What is going to be important for you to note is that if the rod was registered with a previous owner, the warranty for you is not valid. That's not to say they may not repair your rod for a fee in addition to the shipping/handling charges.

Was the rod advertised as NEW? If so, you should be OK but any doubts can be cleared up with Sage.

plecain

Reaction score
The serial number on my ZXL is ACxxxxx. It can be very difficult to see.

From the Sage Website:

The serial number is located opposite the Sage logo on the butt section of the rod and is written in black ink. If you are having trouble seeing the number we recommend taking the rod out into natural light and rotating the blank to change the angle of view. Please note that the serial number will always be one or two letters followed by five numbers. It is also worth noting that Sage Blanks do not carry serial numbers and therefore custom-built rods put together from blanks do not have this distinguishing mark.

oarfish

Reaction score
I have several early model Sage rods that never had a serial # but are still registered to me, I also have later models with a serial # that starts with AE and others then numbers. I would suggest you give Sage a call and ask if the rod has been registered, suggesting that you don't know if the dealer sent in the warranty card when you bought the stick.

Rick

jaybo41

Reaction score
The serial number on my ZXL is ACxxxxx. It can be very difficult to see.

From the Sage Website:

The serial number is located opposite the Sage logo on the butt section of the rod and is written in black ink. If you are having trouble seeing the number we recommend taking the rod out into natural light and rotating the blank to change the angle of view. Please note that the serial number will always be one or two letters followed by five numbers. It is also worth noting that Sage Blanks do not carry serial numbers and therefore custom-built rods put together from blanks do not have this distinguishing mark.
Good point about the blanks vs. factory built rods. You'll notice a "B" after the model, such as: XP 386-4 B Also, those blanks are I believe warrantied by Sage, but repaired by the builder.

Also from the Sage website:

The lifetime, original owner warranty applies to rods with a serial # beginning with the letter "M" and higher, including all double letters (i.e. AA, AB, and AC). Rods with serial #'s beginning with the single letters "A - L" (generally manufactured prior to 1995); have an original owner lifetime guarantee against any defect in materials or workmanship. Any of these series of rods that fail due to misuse, negligence or normal wear-and-tear will be repaired or replaced at a reasonable cost. The serial # may be found on the rod directly opposite the Sage logo.