I guess thats some sort of a "hat trick"

motorshooter

Reaction score
The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blu
I hit the water after work on Tuesday slapping the water for bass and caught three snake heads :eek: My first snake head on a fly rod and I nailed three:D

I dispatched all three and threw them up on the point where I was fishing. About an hour later I saw the crows feasting on them. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

Ta-da!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Holy Smokes! That was an outstanding outing, I've heard all these stories about how hard Snake Heads are to catch on a fly rod, congrats! What weight fly rod were you using and what pattern?

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe the stars were all in alignment, I've never fished for them, but I have heard that others that try to target them have had difficult times in getting them to eat.

Larry

fq13

Reaction score
Most places are trying to get rid of em. He definitely did the right thing, they destroy native habitats
Yep in Florida it a very hefty fine if they catch you with a live one. The state wants them gone.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
No wanton waste laws where you live?
Most invasive species don't enjoy protection under such laws. Here in my part of Alaska Pike are non native / invasive and we have a terminal fishery for them, we kill every pike brought to hand. I leave mine along the lake shore and they are quickly policed up by fox and bears.

Back in June the eagles up at Wrong Branch Creek had 2 babies in the nest and we were dropping about a dozen or more pike each week just across from the nest tree for the family. It got to the point that by the end of June when I drove up the creek the eagles would come flying when they heard the boat coming. Pretty cool to see how quick they caught on to the dinner bell being the 90 horse Honda on the boat :)

tfrank

Reaction score
That's cool to get three of them. I spent a couple days trying for them. I haven't had much problem getting them to take. I've had a problem getting a solid hookset in the kayak. I've got to watch a few take clousers and they swam up behind it ,took and then backed away without turning. Where I was fishing is heavily pressured with over 400 days of bass tournaments being run out of this creek this year. Yeah, no extra zero, 400. That's a couple different circuits or sponsors or whatever they call it.

The Md. DNR is still shocking and removing them regularly. At least they aren't researching birth control or a spay/neuter program for them like the deer.:eek:

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I dispatched all three and threw them up on the point where I was fishing. About an hour later I saw the crows feasting on them. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
you might have missed an opportunity here. I've heard they're excellent table fare for humans as well as crows.