Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Grilled trout, blah, how do you cook them?

First of all, I am a catch and release guy 95% of the time so let's not go there please. Not going to harvest the few wild brown trout we have here. These are stocked hatchery rainbows with no chance of LT survival. I'm pretty good at grilling, but lunch was underwhelming today. I got a few MN walleye and pike fillets in the freezer, but would like to enjoy some trout 3-4 times a year. How do you guys/gals cook them?

Default Re: Grilled trout, blah, how do you cook them?

I keep some stiockers every year but I only make them one way , I smoke them . First I marinate them then I cold smoke the fillets ( leave the skin on) . Serve them on crackers with cream cheese and a few cold ones a great treat!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    First of all, I am a catch and release guy 95% of the time so let's not go there please. Not going to harvest the few wild brown trout we have here. These are stocked hatchery rainbows with no chance of LT survival. I'm pretty good at grilling, but lunch was underwhelming today. I got a few MN walleye and pike fillets in the freezer, but would like to enjoy some trout 3-4 times a year. How do you guys/gals cook them?
    2 ways:
    1) Place in foil with lemon pepper, garlic, butter, olive oil. Wrap closed and smoke on the grill till done (10-15 min)
    2) Filet leaving skin on. Cover non-skin side with Creole or Blacken season. Heat cast iron skillet to Med on stove. Place Blackened fillets seasoning down/skin up & cook till seasoning creates a crust (about 5-7 min). Have oven preheated to 350*F. Once crust is formed, flip to skin side down & place in oven till done (5-10 min).

Haven't cooked trout in a LONG time but spent 12 years as a chef. Its like riding a bike

4. Likes von behr, fyshstykr, yonder, dwtalso liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by gr8outdoorz View Post
    2 ways:
    1) Place in foil with lemon pepper, garlic, butter, olive oil. Wrap closed and smoke on the grill till done (10-15 min)
    2) Filet leaving skin on. Cover non-skin side with Creole or Blacken season. Heat cast iron skillet to Med on stove. Place Blackened fillets seasoning down/skin up & cook till seasoning creates a crust (about 5-7 min). Have oven preheated to 350*F. Once crust is formed, flip to skin side down & place in oven till done (5-10 min).

Haven't cooked trout in a LONG time but spent 12 years as a chef. Its like riding a bike
    I like this Man, like very, very much. Six of us with a Steelhead going in the MH oven and a huge salad on the table. Blue Cheese, Russian and some other kind of salad dressing ready to go. Pull that pan out of the oven and JOY! Baked Potatoes with gobs of sour cream.

And I didn't even catch the fish.

God did we all sleep those nights ... single malts probably helped?

I cooked, someone did the clean up ... SNORE! God could this one guy SNORE. CHAIN SAW! But first Guy to give you a hug in the morning. His 'name' was "Two Bear!!!" and there's a heck of a good story behind that.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

6. Likes yonder, gr8outdoorz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by gr8outdoorz View Post
    2 ways:

I've always had great results with method #1. You can't go wrong with this technique. Good post.

-VB
    ....Just one more cast...

8. Likes yonder liked this post
    Blog Entries

when i do keep trout i like to smoke them 90% of the time.
    brine for 2 hours than smoke for a day.

i also like them rolled in cornmeal and pan fried on occasion.

casey

ARFE

10. Likes fyshstykr, yonder, gr8outdoorz, theboz liked this post

Haven't kept a trout in a long time but rolled in corn meal and pan fried is the way to go. I've done the tin foil lemon garlic olive oil deal too but I prefer em pan fried. Personally I think there are better tasting fish.

Cheers,
    Mike

12. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Wrap them in bacon and charcoal until the bacon is done, then throw away the trout and eat the bacon, not bad if you smother the bacon with mayonnaise between two slices of bread. I will only eat stockers if they are brined and smoked but here in Arkansas even the so-called natives (brookies and browns) aren't fit to eat. Must be attributed to what they eat as the native species in Montana are delicate mouth watering morsels.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

14. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Step 1......build a good fire streamside.....
    Step 2......grease a cast iron skillet......
    Step 3......roll the trout in "house autry" seasoning.....
    Step 4......fry till done.........
    Step 5......add bread, hot sauce, and a good craft brewed IPA!!!!
    Step 6......add optional accessories as the cooler and ice allow........
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

16. Likes gr8outdoorz, von behr liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    Step 1......build a good fire streamside.....
    Step 2......grease a cast iron skillet......
    Step 3......roll the trout in "house autry" seasoning.....
    Step 4......fry till done.........
    Step 5......add bread, hot sauce, and a good craft brewed IPA!!!!
    Step 6......add optional accessories as the cooler and ice allow........
    shore lunch! love it

casey

ARFE

18. Likes yonder, von behr liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast