Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: U Float tubes -what brand?

Are most of the U or V-shaped tibes ones that you sit in and not stand through the hole in the tube? I think the round tubes are ones that you put around your mid-section.

I think this is the case, but have not seen many in action.

Am I correct?

Default Re: U Float tubes -what brand?

Hi Dogger,

The round tube was the original float tube and used a truck inner tube for flotation. The inner tube type is the least desirable. You have the valve stem to deal with and they require higher pressure to inflate.

Erick has given you some good information about the "U" tube that has the front open so you can walk into it and sit down. The Buck's "U" tube uses the seat to hold the ends open and you don't have a bar across the opening. A much better design.

Frank

3. Default Re: U Float tubes -what brand?

Frank, I just read up on the Bucks "U" tube. It has a metal frame underneath so it eliminates the cross bar. Goes a long with what I was saying that they definitely meed something to keep the two sides apart, but leave it to BUCK's to figure out how to do it the right way.

I had the Day Tripper (which is a good float tube of sorts for the BIG guys) that had the cross brace. I had to put it in the water, put my flippers on and then walk backwards out in to the water a ways (can't take off from shore because of that brace being in the way) get the tube out to where it is free floating with me sitting on it. Then stand up to take the weight tension off. Then try to clip that cross brace. What a pain!
    Even worse, I had a CADDIS donut when I started. I also had the "FLOAT POWER" a small car tire tube with a battery box in the middle plus a place to hook an electric motor. This strapped on to the back of the Caddis and would pull me around.
    Okay, I put the motor in the small tube, them the battery, then hook it to the tube. No problem, but now you have to take the whole thing out in enough water that the prop doesn't hit the ground. About 18" to 20". Now try to climb into the donut WITH flippers on cause you can't get them on out in the water, you are floating.
    Awe yes, the good old days! LOL

joni.... that day tripper. i think i've read many reports that because it sits so high it had a tendency to be caught by wind easily compared to other tube designs with less overall bulk above water. did you experience such challenges?

btw, i think most TU float tubes are manufactured by caddis, hence the common cross bar design i see in photos of the TU tubes. the TU pontoons are a different matter.

another V tube i've heard good reviews about is made by windriver though i think they may have gone out of business. you could always look for a good deal in a used tube... just to try it out. in the end, it's really nice to have a loaner so you can tube together with a friend. not that i exactly advocate subsdizing others' gear LOL but i've inflated my second U tube (the original creek company U-Boat model) for when my dad and i go out.

one more thing, there are $35-$40 fins out there. they work, but you'll generally have a better time if you can spring for the $120 force fins... at the end of a long day, you'll be less tired or possibly save yourself from leg cramps.

eric
    fresno, ca.

5. Default Re: U Float tubes -what brand?

I kept that Daytripper for two outings and then returned it with a bad review, which I got blasted for from the big guys that use them.
    I am about 5'8" and a thin build. I felt like I was sitting on a Throne on the DT. I sat high like on a pontoon,so flippers don't have quite the impact as they do on "U" and "V" tubes. I did get blown all over the place, plus the DT is HUGE! It is hard to assemble cause you have to get the bottom half perfect (basically to short, fat pontoons connected to a styrofoam seat) You have to get the pontoons sitting parallel to each other, then attach a "U" shaped tube to the top of that. If one toon is kicked out at all, it will fold inwards.
    Hense my review.
    I have a small pontoon by Venture Outdoors called the "ECHO". Mine is not the one sold at Sam's, but same idea. Mine has the self sealing perma-bladders so they can be deflated, Sam's clubs are solid. Plus mine has a cover over the toons. It has a small metal frame and 4'X 12" diameter toons.
    Very easy to put together with two velcro straps on each side. Small and light.

I agree that the Force Fins are the way to go, but reason is a little different.
    There are different models of FF. One is buy S thru XL, then the next model up is one size fits all with neoprene upper and heal. I bought the neoprene model because all the other flippers I tried were wearing out my wading boots (rubbing). But, these BOWL shaped "V" flippers are awesome.

Anybody interested in the ECHO, give me a pm.

Ok guys. First of all- you get what you pay for. FWIW, all of Outcasts boats except the PAC11 and up are made overseas. Most have vinyl bladders except the Super Fat Cat in the tubes.
    Bucks is Bucks. Not much in float tubes.
    If you want to spend the $$$$ my vote goes to NFO's H3. Cabelas has it for
    $399. The SFC is $350. For $50 more you get a lot more boat with the H3. Look at Cabelas website and compare the 2. The H3's got 4 bladders. Right side, left side, bottom seat and the seat back. All out of urethane. Total weight is 13 lb.

2008pg8

6' long and 48" wide. Sounds big, but it's not when you get in it. It feels safer than a SFC. (I've had the SFC and now have an H3) Maybe it's because I'm 6'3" and 230 lb. It's easy to kick around. Depending on what you weigh, it keeps you out of the water more than any other tube I've owned, and I've had a lot.
    For a real kick the new Navigator II which is a combination of a tube and toon- hybrid I'd guess you'd call it is the best of both worlds. I got one of these also. I guess you could call it an ostentious display of wealth. Since I've gotten the Navi, I haven't used my Cardiac Canyon. The Navigator has an optional deck you can place a battery and motor on. It comes with oars standard.
    So depending on how much you want to spend, how serious you are about toonin', what you're fishing for, I think most of the bases have been covered in this thread by now.
    Good luck in you choice.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

7. Default Re: U Float tubes -what brand?

[QUOTE=Joni;21431]..............
    I have a small pontoon by Venture Outdoors called the "ECHO". Mine is not the one sold at Sam's, but same idea. Mine has the self sealing perma-bladders so they can be deflated, Sam's clubs are solid. Plus mine has a cover over the toons. It has a small metal frame and 4'X 12" diameter toons.
    Very easy to put together with two velcro straps on each side. Small and light......
    [QUOTE]

not to be contrary to my sis.. and it could be I just misunderstood.. but I checked the Sams site .. the ECHO DURAPRO does have the durapro bladders .. these are the ones that will not let you sink.. the ECHO PERMA has the hard pontoons...

MacFly

8. Default Re: U Float tubes -what brand?

[QUOTE=MacFly55;21914][QUOTE=Joni;21431]..............
    Very easy to put together with two velcro straps on each side. Small and light......

not to be contrary to my sis.. and it could be I just misunderstood.. but I checked the Sams site .. the ECHO DURAPRO does have the durapro bladders .. these are the ones that will not let you sink.. the ECHO PERMA has the hard pontoons...

MacFly

When I bought mine before Carol had the Sam's Club Contract, she called them perma bladders and you can deflate them. I don't know what they are called now, but they have a fine dust inside that would seal any holes.
    The ones that Sam's sell, the bladders do not deflate. They are similar to a Rubbermaid Garbage can material. Molded and formed, I guess like the old HOBIES.

9. Default Re: U Float tubes -what brand?

I think we are basically saying the same thing... when looking at the site I both seem to be about the same size.. just one has the durapro bladders that seal themselves.. and the other has hard shelled pontoons..

MacFly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12