U Float tubes -what brand?

dogger

Reaction score
I am thinking about a U shaped float tube, seems like that's the right style but am wondering what brand. I am looking for the brands you use or used and any feedback.

Also, any features and benefits that you'd recommend? Thickness of the piece, etc?

Thanks,

GRN

Reaction score
+1 for Outcast, have the Super Fat Cat, great capacity (small cooler in the bow, anchor, net, etc.), very comfy with good adjustment, nice hight seating position maintained by the inflating seat, great storage, wicked stable and reasonably light given the level of stability and rugged construction. You don't have to buy the super expensive funny shaped fins either, I recommend starting out with cheapo conventional fins to start.... but don't skimp on the pump unless you're up for one heck of a workout and lost time on the water!

TL's~

Joni

Reaction score
Are you talking a "U" tube where you are sitting a lot lower in the water and there is more surface touching the water which to me is harder to more.

Or a "V" which is probably the most popular. You have room behind the seat plus bags on the side for gear. You sit out of the water more or even completely. Stryofoam seat or blow up. The one with the styro seat will fold down to the size of the foam, the ones with the air seats fold very small.

There is many to choose from, but I recommend a URETHANE bladder, strong outer cover and stitching and a good name like OUTCAST, NFO. I hear 50/50 on the ODC

If you have the money, to me the best there is is the Freestlye H3

6 feet long and VERY STABIL on choppy water. Cuts through with ease, fantastic warranty and tuff as nails cover, plus "D" rings in all the right places.
And the Side bags are insulated for ice and drinks.
Just my choice, cause when it comes to me and the water, I want to be sure I have the best I can.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi dogger,

Joni has pretty well covered the best options. If you are dead set on the "U" tube design then the Bucks Bags Bullet is probable the best with 5 year warranty. Joni shows the Buck's Bags Mustang which is cheaper than the bullet. If you buy some other "U" tube make sure it has some way to keep the ends of the "U" apart.

Frank

Buck's Bags Bullet HC

Joni

Reaction score
WOW! I didn't even look what brand I posted, just looked for one, but I agree with Frank on Bucks. Does anyone else find it funny that BUCKS doesn't make a "V" tube? They make a killer Pontoon with two bladders in one.

dogger

Reaction score
Saw this in an ad "No stabilizer bar"

It is a Caddis model, not sure what the stabilizer bar does in a float tube?

Any help would be great!

Dog

Joni

Reaction score
Saw this in an ad "No stabilizer bar"

It is a Caddis model, not sure what the stabilizer bar does in a float tube?

Any help would be great!

Dog
If it is a Doughnut shaped tube, there won't be a stabilizer. The Stabilizer bar is on "U" shaped tubes and the Daytripper style to keep the tubes on the side from curling inward. When you sit down, your body weight will pull the tubes in ON YOU. The stabilizer keeps them out, plus makes it more STABILE.

"V" shaped tubes do not need this.

ezamora

Reaction score
i've got a U shaped float tube, a caddis nevada gold which i picked up new at half price a couple of years ago ($49?). they even threw in a rod holder and pump i think. i'm not familiar with stabilizer bar design on other brands but i think all caddis-branded U shaped tubes have the same style. it's basically a cordura cloth-like covered PVC tube. yes, it keeps the tips of the U at a given distance away so it doesn't "collapse" on you and also forms the forward section of the skirt BUT it's a pain to engage once you're sitting in it in the water. one end goes in a side pocket, you force the other end of the "bar" into the other. a buddy warned me about the design's irritation and it was fine the first season but then i started thinking there's got to be a better design out there. just a heads up. i think a U shaped tube is much better than a fully circular donut style, but the V shaped tubes are even better than the U shaped ones. by the way, my cheap little caddis has what i think are poly or vinyl bladders. i didn't know better back then but at the same time i've had no problems with it. one other detail you may want to consider are the valves (and there better be at least two different parts of the tube you need to inflate in case one punctures while you're out on the water, even if one is just the backrest). some tubes only come with the valve type you may be familiar with on standard pool type inflatable toys. other valve designs form a better more secure engagement system for pumps. seek out the better design.

and which ever brand and model you go with, if it comes in different color choices, go for the brighter one. i don't think the fish will mind at all and a bright color sure helps others see you if your water is shared by other, faster craft which could possibly be piloted by the inebriated or sight challenged.

bucks bags has been around a long time and though they don't appear to advertise as much as others, i've read many positive reviews about them.

if i was going to buy another, and i might someday, AND money was a factor, i'd seriously look into a fish cat 4.

now float tubes are generally designed for still water. the freestyle H3 joni mentioned is one of very few ok for moving water if i remember correctly from the free dvd scadden offers.

in the end, any type of floating vehicle is going to open up great avenues for you in fishing. i love fishing from what's basically an inflatable lounge chair :)

eric
fresno, ca.

dogger

Reaction score
Are most of the U or V-shaped tibes ones that you sit in and not stand through the hole in the tube? I think the round tubes are ones that you put around your mid-section.

I think this is the case, but have not seen many in action.

Am I correct?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Dogger,

The round tube was the original float tube and used a truck inner tube for flotation. The inner tube type is the least desirable. You have the valve stem to deal with and they require higher pressure to inflate.

Erick has given you some good information about the "U" tube that has the front open so you can walk into it and sit down. The Buck's "U" tube uses the seat to hold the ends open and you don't have a bar across the opening. A much better design.

Frank

Joni

Reaction score
Frank, I just read up on the Bucks "U" tube. It has a metal frame underneath so it eliminates the cross bar. Goes a long with what I was saying that they definitely meed something to keep the two sides apart, but leave it to BUCK's to figure out how to do it the right way.

I had the Day Tripper (which is a good float tube of sorts for the BIG guys) that had the cross brace. I had to put it in the water, put my flippers on and then walk backwards out in to the water a ways (can't take off from shore because of that brace being in the way) get the tube out to where it is free floating with me sitting on it. Then stand up to take the weight tension off. Then try to clip that cross brace. What a pain!
Even worse, I had a CADDIS donut when I started. I also had the "FLOAT POWER" a small car tire tube with a battery box in the middle plus a place to hook an electric motor. This strapped on to the back of the Caddis and would pull me around.
Okay, I put the motor in the small tube, them the battery, then hook it to the tube. No problem, but now you have to take the whole thing out in enough water that the prop doesn't hit the ground. About 18" to 20". Now try to climb into the donut WITH flippers on cause you can't get them on out in the water, you are floating.
Awe yes, the good old days! LOL

ezamora

Reaction score
joni.... that day tripper. i think i've read many reports that because it sits so high it had a tendency to be caught by wind easily compared to other tube designs with less overall bulk above water. did you experience such challenges?

btw, i think most TU float tubes are manufactured by caddis, hence the common cross bar design i see in photos of the TU tubes. the TU pontoons are a different matter.

another V tube i've heard good reviews about is made by windriver though i think they may have gone out of business. you could always look for a good deal in a used tube... just to try it out. in the end, it's really nice to have a loaner so you can tube together with a friend. not that i exactly advocate subsdizing others' gear LOL but i've inflated my second U tube (the original creek company U-Boat model) for when my dad and i go out.

one more thing, there are $35-$40 fins out there. they work, but you'll generally have a better time if you can spring for the $120 force fins... at the end of a long day, you'll be less tired or possibly save yourself from leg cramps.

eric
fresno, ca.

Joni

Reaction score
I kept that Daytripper for two outings and then returned it with a bad review, which I got blasted for from the big guys that use them.
I am about 5'8" and a thin build. I felt like I was sitting on a Throne on the DT. I sat high like on a pontoon,so flippers don't have quite the impact as they do on "U" and "V" tubes. I did get blown all over the place, plus the DT is HUGE! It is hard to assemble cause you have to get the bottom half perfect (basically to short, fat pontoons connected to a styrofoam seat) You have to get the pontoons sitting parallel to each other, then attach a "U" shaped tube to the top of that. If one toon is kicked out at all, it will fold inwards.
Hense my review.
I have a small pontoon by Venture Outdoors called the "ECHO". Mine is not the one sold at Sam's, but same idea. Mine has the self sealing perma-bladders so they can be deflated, Sam's clubs are solid. Plus mine has a cover over the toons. It has a small metal frame and 4'X 12" diameter toons.
Very easy to put together with two velcro straps on each side. Small and light.

I agree that the Force Fins are the way to go, but reason is a little different.
There are different models of FF. One is buy S thru XL, then the next model up is one size fits all with neoprene upper and heal. I bought the neoprene model because all the other flippers I tried were wearing out my wading boots (rubbing). But, these BOWL shaped "V" flippers are awesome.

Anybody interested in the ECHO, give me a pm.

mojo

Reaction score
Ok guys. First of all- you get what you pay for. FWIW, all of Outcasts boats except the PAC11 and up are made overseas. Most have vinyl bladders except the Super Fat Cat in the tubes.
Bucks is Bucks. Not much in float tubes.
If you want to spend the $$$$ my vote goes to NFO's H3. Cabelas has it for
$399. The SFC is $350. For $50 more you get a lot more boat with the H3. Look at Cabelas website and compare the 2. The H3's got 4 bladders. Right side, left side, bottom seat and the seat back. All out of urethane. Total weight is 13 lb.

2008pg8

6' long and 48" wide. Sounds big, but it's not when you get in it. It feels safer than a SFC. (I've had the SFC and now have an H3) Maybe it's because I'm 6'3" and 230 lb.:frogdance It's easy to kick around. Depending on what you weigh, it keeps you out of the water more than any other tube I've owned, and I've had a lot.
For a real kick the new Navigator II which is a combination of a tube and toon- hybrid I'd guess you'd call it is the best of both worlds. I got one of these also. I guess you could call it an ostentious display of wealth. Since I've gotten the Navi, I haven't used my Cardiac Canyon. The Navigator has an optional deck you can place a battery and motor on. It comes with oars standard.
So depending on how much you want to spend, how serious you are about toonin', what you're fishing for, I think most of the bases have been covered in this thread by now.
Good luck in you choice.

MacFly55

Reaction score
I have a small pontoon by Venture Outdoors called the "ECHO". Mine is not the one sold at Sam's, but same idea. Mine has the self sealing perma-bladders so they can be deflated, Sam's clubs are solid. Plus mine has a cover over the toons. It has a small metal frame and 4'X 12" diameter toons.
Very easy to put together with two velcro straps on each side. Small and light......
not to be contrary to my sis.. and it could be I just misunderstood.. but I checked the Sams site .. the ECHO DURAPRO does have the durapro bladders .. these are the ones that will not let you sink.. the ECHO PERMA has the hard pontoons...

MacFly :icon_cool

Joni

Reaction score
Very easy to put together with two velcro straps on each side. Small and light......
not to be contrary to my sis.. and it could be I just misunderstood.. but I checked the Sams site .. the ECHO DURAPRO does have the durapro bladders .. these are the ones that will not let you sink.. the ECHO PERMA has the hard pontoons...

MacFly :icon_cool

When I bought mine before Carol had the Sam's Club Contract, she called them perma bladders and you can deflate them. I don't know what they are called now, but they have a fine dust inside that would seal any holes.
The ones that Sam's sell, the bladders do not deflate. They are similar to a Rubbermaid Garbage can material. Molded and formed, I guess like the old HOBIES.

MacFly55

Reaction score
I think we are basically saying the same thing... when looking at the site I both seem to be about the same size.. just one has the durapro bladders that seal themselves.. and the other has hard shelled pontoons..

MacFly