Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Holy fly tying mother load, batman!

Folks, I am giggling like a giddy school girl. I posted earlier how going on ebay late at night when bored is a bad idea? Ignore that. I bid 70 bucks (a little auction fever I'll admit, I intended to stop at $50) on a mixed lot of new in the bag fly tying materials. It was a pig in a poke. It was sold by someone who just bought it at an estate sale and was clueless about fly tying.

I got this huge freaking box today that would put the museum of natural history to shame. I'm literally a third of the way through it and I have 9 full fox tails, red, gray, silver and arctic. There are pheasant and partridge feathers, deer hair, super hair, more eyes than you can shake a stick at, antron, dry fly hackle, I kid you not skunk hair, antelope hair, filtch tail (I'm assuming squirrel), woodchuck hair, three sweaters worth of yarn, brass beads and it just keeps coming. So, if any of you lot want some fox tails, I'm your go to guy. I'll be posting some of this stuff for sale. But sweet lord, what do you need that much fox tail and skunk hair for? Oh, wait, it gets better. I just found some Australian possum hair.
    God, I've got to lay this stuff out and pop the bubbly. The fish won't know what hit them.

Default Re: Holy fly tying mother load, batman!

That Australian possum hair is good dubbed in a scud pattern!

3. Likes N/A liked this post

How about 5.00 worth of some dry fly hackle.

mridenour Guest

That sounds awesome! Congrats!

Blog Entries

Way to go! It's good to read an, "I'm really happy with what I bought" thread!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Likes N/A, jaybo41 liked this post

Sounds like a great deal! Fitch I believe is the tail from a weasel if I recall correctly. It's a good material for hair wing flies. It's popular for Salmon & Steelhead flies.

Uh, I know what you mean about deals on Ebay. I have several hundred fox & coyote tails I've purchased in bulk lots, so I can't imagine why anyone would want that many!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Happy for you. That is probably one of the better ways to get a supply stock started up. It doesn't take too many fancy feathers and hides to make an auction lot purchase a decent deal. Sounds like a lot of tails, you should make yourself a fishin hat

I have now, about two thirds of the way through, found 4 types of duck quills, mink tails, chinchilla hair (in zonker strips), caribou hair, and mole hair. I mean mole hair? Is there a pattern for this?

mridenour Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
    I have now, about two thirds of the way through, found 4 types of duck quills, mink tails, chinchilla hair (in zonker strips), caribou hair, and mole hair. I mean mole hair? Is there a pattern for this?
    Does moleskin have good fuzzy stuff like Opossum? Sounds like a dubbing candidate and mole hair is a great color for a scud.

It looks like it, a bunch of bunny and squirrel dubbing too. There's also beaver and muskrat hair which should be great for dries, and some badger hair (it makes the flies look mean). Plus, and I'll post this on the tying board, there are probably twenty more or less full spools of mostly dark colored 8/0 thread which I have zero use for. If anyone wants to trade for 3/0 I'll make you one heck of a deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast