Holy fly tying mother load, batman!

fq13

Reaction score
Folks, I am giggling like a giddy school girl. I posted earlier how going on ebay late at night when bored is a bad idea? Ignore that. I bid 70 bucks (a little auction fever I'll admit, I intended to stop at $50) on a mixed lot of new in the bag fly tying materials. It was a pig in a poke. It was sold by someone who just bought it at an estate sale and was clueless about fly tying.

I got this huge freaking box today that would put the museum of natural history to shame. I'm literally a third of the way through it and I have 9 full fox tails, red, gray, silver and arctic. There are pheasant and partridge feathers, deer hair, super hair, more eyes than you can shake a stick at, antron, dry fly hackle, I kid you not skunk hair, antelope hair, filtch tail (I'm assuming squirrel), woodchuck hair, three sweaters worth of yarn, brass beads and it just keeps coming. So, if any of you lot want some fox tails, I'm your go to guy. I'll be posting some of this stuff for sale. But sweet lord, what do you need that much fox tail and skunk hair for? Oh, wait, it gets better. I just found some Australian possum hair.:D
God, I've got to lay this stuff out and pop the bubbly. The fish won't know what hit them.:p

Reactions: Ard

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal! Fitch I believe is the tail from a weasel if I recall correctly. It's a good material for hair wing flies. It's popular for Salmon & Steelhead flies.

Uh, I know what you mean about deals on Ebay. I have several hundred fox & coyote tails I've purchased in bulk lots, so I can't imagine why anyone would want that many! :rolleyes:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Happy for you. That is probably one of the better ways to get a supply stock started up. It doesn't take too many fancy feathers and hides to make an auction lot purchase a decent deal. Sounds like a lot of tails, you should make yourself a fishin hat :)

fq13

Reaction score
I have now, about two thirds of the way through, found 4 types of duck quills, mink tails, chinchilla hair (in zonker strips), caribou hair, and mole hair. I mean mole hair? Is there a pattern for this?:D

M

mridenour

I have now, about two thirds of the way through, found 4 types of duck quills, mink tails, chinchilla hair (in zonker strips), caribou hair, and mole hair. I mean mole hair? Is there a pattern for this?:D
Does moleskin have good fuzzy stuff like Opossum? Sounds like a dubbing candidate and mole hair is a great color for a scud.

fq13

Reaction score
It looks like it, a bunch of bunny and squirrel dubbing too. There's also beaver and muskrat hair which should be great for dries, and some badger hair (it makes the flies look mean:D). Plus, and I'll post this on the tying board, there are probably twenty more or less full spools of mostly dark colored 8/0 thread which I have zero use for. If anyone wants to trade for 3/0 I'll make you one heck of a deal.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Great score FQ, we spend hours on that site hoping for a deal and once in a blue moon we hit the jackpot. Last year a pawn shop listed some reels and do to the way he listed they did not show up in the flyreels/flyfishing section, they only showed up in vintage fishing lures. For $500.00 I nabbed a mint/perfect Fin-Nor #3, Abel #2 Big Game mint/perfect, Orvis CFO Made In England #4 and a #5 plus a top of the line made in Sweden Ambassador baitcaster in mint condition. If a person is patient, good deals can be found and I figure my savings to date would more than offset any bad deal, which to date number 0. :)

Dave

brucerducer

Reaction score
fq13:

Remember. I always said I loved you, and also, you are my Bestest Buddy and pal, right?

:doh:

jbird

Reaction score
Thats spectacular! Gongratulations on the score! Are their any hooks? How about Polar Bear?:D:secret:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you made out quite well to say the least on your haul! Congratulations on your bargain. I'm hoping you'll post up some photos of the materials for the rest of us to drool over and maybe a few flies tied with said materials. :)

fq13

Reaction score
Thats spectacular! Gongratulations on the score! Are their any hooks? How about Polar Bear?:D:secret:
I was actually scared I'd find some. honestly there a few things I'm not sure are legal. With my luck there would be polar bear hair and the feds would be knocking on my door. Luckily, they're furloughed.:D

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Fq, you said you had some badger hair? In case you're not aware & since you're in S Fl. it's a great wing material for Bonefish flies as a sub for calftail.

I bought a big bag of pieces very cheap years ago when I was tying commercially, and was surprised to discover how nice the hair is for such flies!

Just remove the longer guard hairs & under fur, which BTW is pretty good for dubbing!:D

fq13

Reaction score
Fq, you said you had some badger hair? In case you're not aware & since you're in S Fl. it's a great wing material for Bonefish flies as a sub for calftail.

I bought a big bag of pieces very cheap years ago when I was tying commercially, and was surprised to discover how nice the hair is for such flies!

Just remove the longer guard hairs & under fur, which BTW is pretty good for dubbing!:D
Sweet. Thanks, I was not aware.