Hook Removal Tool

nc_cooter

Reaction score
I am a warm water fly fisher. I have been looking for a good hook removal tool, primarily for bream. They can sometimes inhale a fly. Even though I pinch the barb on all my hooks, they are so small the 4" forceps are too big.
After a long search, I decided to make one. I used a 6mm crochet needle and a salvaged wood handle. It has worked much better than I anticipated. If the bream can get the fly in his mouth, this will remove it with no damage to the fish.
Here are some pics.

Comments and questions are welcome.
Mike

pszy22

Reaction score
This is the best design I've ever found. You never touch the fish. Only problem is you do have to be wading (or leaning over the side of a boat), the fish falls right off so you have to do the release over water.
I've been using it for two years and haven't had to touch a single fish.

This works great for size 10 - 18 hooks, may work for other sizes, but that's about the extent of the range of hooks I use -

To give credit where credit is due, I first saw the basic concept here (there is a video showing it in use) -

http://www.deadwoodtradingpost.com/Fishing-in-Oregon.html

It's an easy DYI, the only hard part is finding a wine cork.

nc_cooter

Reaction score
pszy22, I have seen ones that are very similar, but they won't even fit in the mouth of some of the bream I catch. ;)
Mike

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Here is a tool modeled after the one that Christmas Island fly fishing guides use for Bonefish.

I have been using this one on American Shad over the past five years. I hate touching those slimy and stinky fish. One of these days, I plan on installing an eye, so I can connect a lanyard to it.

Dennis

fq13

Reaction score
This is the best design I've ever found. You never touch the fish. Only problem is you do have to be wading (or leaning over the side of a boat), the fish falls right off so you have to do the release over water.
I've been using it for two years and haven't had to touch a single fish.

This works great for size 10 - 18 hooks, may work for other sizes, but that's about the extent of the range of hooks I use -

To give credit where credit is due, I first saw the basic concept here (there is a video showing it in use) -

Deadwood

It's an easy DYI, the only hard part is finding a wine cork.
Come to my house. ROFL:D

Seriously, great tools guys. I will adopt one of them. Not just for bream but for saltwater cats that will occasionally inhale a fly. Talk about a slimy fish. As for shad? C'mon. Shad roe was considered a delicacy in North Florida. I used to fish the St. John's River during the shad run when I was a kid on some property my family owned up there. We'd keep about a dozen or so and smoke the fish and saute up the roe and have it with eggs and grits for breakfast. Its been more than a few years, but I remember that as good eating.

PS, where does one find a crocheting needle? A craft store?

PPS If you can't get the hook out easily, just cut the line. The survival rate is pretty good as the hook will rust away. It does less damage than trying to horse it out.

pszy22

Reaction score
pszy22, I have seen ones that are very similar, but they won't even fit in the mouth of some of the bream I catch. ;)
Mike
Mike,

That's a good point. The cork thingy needs to be able to slide down to the bend of the hook, so it's probably best for fish with larger mouths like trout.

On the other hand, when it is workable, it has the advantage of not requiring one to grab ahold of the fish, which is a good thing for the fish.

Like with most things, different horses for different courses.

I use to use a design similar to yours, I got a LARGE sewing needle, and ground off the top of the eye. That left a U shape, just like your crochet hook. I then inserted the pointed end of the needle into a tooth brush handle (cut off to remove the bristle part).

Dennis,

Looks like the guy I stole the idea from may have stole it from your Christmas Island buddies.