so a guide service here posted this pic today

chauncey

Reaction score
Dream stream is low (like 30cfs low) and the browns are spawning

Needless to say people are wanting to lynch the people that posted this picture. ANd supposedly they passed the fish around to be taken with the other people there.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Speechless....and that dosent happen often.

In the Smokies...I wont even start to target browns until at least Christmas.......

All for the hero shot!!! ......:mad:

I have always passed on the fish shot...and concentrated on the surroundings.

tbblom

Reaction score
Dream Stream, probably my least favorite fishing spot in the state...
The fish are big, but all the big egos show up too!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Fishing the redds, now that takes some imagination. I wouldn't let that guy in my boat.

Colorado obviously needs some F&G officers up there. Perhaps the photo needs to be sent to all local and the state offices of waterways enforcement.

I've made a second post to this thread and so will copy it into this one for those who may not read all posts. I waited until the thread had drawn a lot of response and after reading them I had an afterthought, a little deeper this time.............

Nothing like a picture of this type to trigger the passions of sportsmen is there? Mike makes a good point, that if you can find out whether this photo was distributed by a shop or guiding service we would like to know who they are.

The more of this type stuff I see the more likely that I will not take pictures of fish that are not in the water. For years I've thought that the advent of both on-line photo posting and the digital cameras was to blame for the fish picture craze. Prior to our modern advances we were relegated to 35 mm or 110 snapshots that needed to be processed into paperbacked photos or slides. During those years I myself took very few pictures of fish.

Todays fish pictures; I do it, you do it, heck, everybody does it. It's just that some of the people doing this have absolutely no understanding of fish. They only understand that they can take a picture such as this and then with the aid of a 'smartphone' post the picture on-line within minutes, hours, or as soon as they reach home.

This incident is akin to many other behaviors we learn about in the population every day. Heinous crimes are committed that reflect the worst of humankind all around us in this world. Do we commit them, no. Do we condone them, no. However in many cases we are left only with our own conduct to supervise, we cannot exert our desires for a kinder - gentler world over others.

In the end, we can be upset, we can refuse to do business with this shop or service, if that is where the actions & the photo emanated from, but......... Can we change them? Can we, you, change the rules. I don't know those answers, what I do know is that I can control my own behavior and be an influence on those people who fish with me. I can be an influence on people who read our threads here by trying to instill the principles and the essence of traditional fly fishing and speak a little about the old ways of practicing this wonderful activity. That may be a rather small thing but if nothing else we here, this membership, can make some small difference. That may be the best we can hope for.

Ard

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I sure hate to see photos like that just to get your "hero shot"! Like others have said, I wish the Game and Fish people would do a little better job of enforcing no fishing on the redds. There is plenty of ethical fishing to do this time of year, no need to be targeting fish that are obviously spawning, pretty hard to miss that on a stream as clear as the Dream Stream is.

Larry

wjc

Reaction score
I agree, JP. I was shocked when I moved from Maine to Colorada and discovered there was no closed season on trout there. The trout season in Maine on all brooks and streams closed before the brook trout spawn and re-opened April 1st.

A lot of people, myself included, wanted to see selected areas closed to all smelting for 4 or 5 years consecutively as well. But they would not go that far. The Fish and Game Dept. would close only scattered brooks to smelting, and not all of them at the same time that fed a lake or major watershead section.

That would have revived the quality of both the large brook trout and especially the ouananiche fisheries more than all the hatcheries in the state.

wjc

Reaction score
Bear, I think tromping through the redds on wadable brooks, streams, rivers probably causes even more damage than aholes like that. Hopefully, there are not that many like him.

tbblom

Reaction score
Dream stream has no regs to protect the rainbows in spring or the browns in fall. Add proximity to Denver, and you get an extremely crowded stream with trophy hunting anglers. If you can find the deeper 'rest' holes you can get a fair shot at a feeding fish. Unfortunately, there are not that many good resting spots for the fish, and the redds get fished instead.
There are plenty of guys up there that will direct anglers away from redds, but there are just too many (uneducated or unethical) anglers. Of the three times I've fished there (that was enough), I never saw DOW enforcement.

I'm in Maine right now, as much as I'd like to fish the streams, I am glad they are closed for the season.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Colorado has a terrible "romp the spawn" mentality. I have had many meetings with our fisheries managers about it and I will save it all for a different thread.

In a nut shell, stay as far away from the Dream as possible. There are truly great fish to catch but it is a lame situation, its small, fish have few places to hide, the pressure is the worst you can imagine, only fresh fish look fresh...doesn't take long for them to get hung a few dozen times once they hit the river.

Now, I have had some great trips there but I fished many years ago and there are times when the flows are high enough to make it a bit better but for the most part I always fee like it is an artificial fishery due to the small amount of water that flows in that section.

I have heard of the pass the fish stuff going on a lot lately...I am not a fan.