Alternative usage for a fly rod?

enolaeagle

Reaction score
During work the other week, I ran into a bind while tiling a bathroom floor. Half way through I was reaching into the tight corners to set tile and had to unload my pockets because of my keys jabbing me...

After I tiled myself out, I realized that my keys were across the room :banghead: After a few choice words, I remembered that a buddy of mine did the same thing but with floor leveling compound and had to use his fishing rod to catch his keys. Good thing I keep a rod on my work truck:D

Grabbed a snapshot because my helper was laughing at me
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...55020040.62666.137316126281297&type=1&theater

Have any of you ever run into a situation where your rod came in handy (other than catching a fish)?

siege

Reaction score
Ok, Todd, I don't want to see you hanging with no replies.
I'll fess up.... I once used the top section of a 4 piece pack rod as a sort of first aid / back scrarcher device. Out camping in mosquito country, something bit me where I couldn't reach. :wow: It felt like a horsefly bite and hurt like #@$% . I put a rolled up sting-kill swab in the tip guide and ran it down the back of my shirt to the bite. Ahhhhhhh, instant relief.
Don't leave home without 'em !

williamhj

Reaction score
I use broken rod sections with my dryer when finishing a rod. I've broken too many rods when I was just walking / fishing with them that I am scared to use them for anything else :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This may make some cringe but I've gotten away with it many times.

Even an anal retentive dry fly fisherman can have a back cast go array and there were times (most notably when I would creep into position on a small stream) when I would snag a fly that I did not intend for loss up in a streamside tree beyond my reach.

You let out slack line and reach up with the butt section and reel, snag the offending limb, and pull it down until you can get a hand on it.

Then there's the 'tip top' retrieve; I use this for underwater snags. You guys know this one............ reel in until you can get the eye of the hook to come through the tip top and then push the hook point free of the wood you're stuck on. I don't recommend this if you are stuck in rocks but you can do it. You just have to be very conscious that the rocks will break your tip if you slip up. Amazing what you can reach with a 15' rod :D

I do not recommend this if you are prone to things going wrong but it has worked many times for me. Other than a brief period when I was using heavy flies and shot to dredge for salmon in the 90's, I have not been the guy who lost a bunch of flies. Actually I have a problem with it, I don't tie them or go fishing to lose flies and I have a good record.

I'm thinking as I write, and this season I lost................. 3 and had one damaged while removing it from a salmon who was resisting our efforts to release him. I remember the flies I lose. I snapped off a Freight Train with a bad cast :eek: I had a knot fail when perhaps the largest trout of the year got around a submerged tree and went crazy being tethered to the limb. The knot just couldn't take it. And, I left a brand new (unused) articulated Sculpin that I had great plans for lay on top the console of the boat and then drove up river at about 30 mph. The one that came apart happened when the fellow removing the hook got hold of the wing......... :rolleyes:

I know this looks like a thread hijack but hey, I answered the question before I started telling stories, right? There was another incident that I almost needed therapy for. I left a Plano box with '18' of the most beautiful tube flies and Intruders in it sit on the back of the boat when I left a launch area :( These were a gift and I had used only one of them at that time. That one fly had caught a dozen fish and was good as new! I searched the roadside every day that I went out of that launch but they were gone for ever. I may not lose many while fishing but that was the single biggest tragedy / loss I've ever had regarding fishing tackle.

Be careful if you use your rod as a fly retriever

nickj

Reaction score
I had a Hardy Palakona, 7' 5w. that would have made a great jack handle. Fortunately I was able to sell it first.

nick k

Reaction score
Should submit that to the Allen photo contest. I think you might have a chance. Best Allen catch I've seen yet.

cab

Reaction score
Now that you have proven that it's a tool, the flyrod is a tax write-off.

In the electrican bidness, we frequently have to "fish" a cable/wire/whatever up or down a wall. Sometimes across a ceiling. Doesn't take much imagination to see an old fishin' rod has a lot of uses. Of course, there are proper tools for that stuff.........

CAB

enolaeagle

Reaction score
Now that you have proven that it's a tool, the flyrod is a tax write-off.

In the electrican bidness, we frequently have to "fish" a cable/wire/whatever up or down a wall. Sometimes across a ceiling. Doesn't take much imagination to see an old fishin' rod has a lot of uses. Of course, there are proper tools for that stuff.........

CAB
Ha! We have a couple fish sticks but they're glow in the dark. I've thought about my rod for that at times though

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Should submit that to the Allen photo contest. I think you might have a chance. Best Allen catch I've seen yet.
I was going to do that but the rules are for fish only :(

jbird

Reaction score
Hah! As a life long tile contractor I will tell you (what Im sure you already know) A small sheet of plywood or backer board big enough to span several tiles can be laid on top of your work. Walking on it broadcasts your weight across it and is safe to get out on a freshly laid floor. I have laid some odd rooms where you just had to do this if you couldnt wait to come back the next day. :D

as for another use for a flyrod? Down in Mexico with my 10 year old son (I guess 10 years ago now) I rigged my 12wt as a noose to catch desert iguanas. Tied some heavy string to the tip-top, left a big loop out the tip and ran the rest of the sting on down the guides into my hand. Slide loop over Lizzy's neck and pull tight! AH!!! Now what?!?!:eek: I actually think a 15wt wouldve been more appropriate for ths application ;)

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I used the Tuscan Leveling system. Normally I set up a plank from the doorway to the shower curb but the waterproofing product was a few hours away from a complete cure. Had to think quick :D

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Have you ever used your hat for casting practice? Placing it out on the lawn at a distance to see if you can hit it?
Well you may want to practice that.
Earlier this season, my hat blew off my head into water too deep to wade and was quickly headed downstream.
I think that it only took 2 casts before I hooked it and reeled in my trophy. ;)

M

mridenour

This is not politically correct but my fly rod was wisely kept out of my mom's line of sight. I experienced her alternative use of a Hot Wheel track section and a piece of fly rod across the back of my legs would have been far worse!:shocking:

As a toddler, I stuck my grandpa's fly rod into an empty ceiling light socket and blew the fuse for all the lights in the flat. I can still remember it with great fondness. Mom had a fit.:rolleyes:

JoJer

Reaction score
For years I used the tip section of my Cortland 8'6" 5 wt, some decoy line, and a few pheasant feathers rubber-banded to the end of the string, for a cat toy. The Cortland was my first "good" fly rod. I loaned it out and it came back broken. Eventually, the cats or the grandkids broke that one. The new one is the tip from and old Japanese composite spin rod.

dhaynes

Reaction score
Duct taped an old plastic fly swatter to a beat up fiberglass rod. Used to go after flies in the backyard... A lot of fun though only for a short time, and not nearly as easy as it sounds! It certainly got a lot of eye-rolls from my wife! Caution: this in NOT an inside toy!!!!!!!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
An old cracked 8wt line on a 6wt walmart rod and a "fly" the size of a small bird spun from crappy saddle hackle and bucktail
Our 4 cats love it, in fact too much. When I'm out practice casting in the yard, they all come runnin'.