Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: What is important to you when buying gear?

Quote Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
    Value---worth every penny. I don't have a lot of disposable income and I have to stretch my dollars.

Performance---it has to work and be durable.

Customer Service---if something goes wrong, help is a great thing.

Made in USA---a nice thing but if not, strong US ties in design and overseeing production.
    What Mike said. I also add resale value to my criteria if it is an overly expensive item. Just in case I didn't really know what I actually needed.

2. Likes Ard liked this post

1) High price, the higher the better, the most expensive being ideal. This is very important to me. Anything to support my innate smugness and understated sense of superiority. Ideally, this would include things so fantastically over priced that most people could not even imagine buying one (incredibly expensive fly-tying bobbins are a good example).

2) Prestige manufacturer, as long as it supports the above. Ideally, these are companies recognized as a makers of the most expensive and highest quality of whatever it is.

3) Corporate support of name dropping. This could mean literal endorsements or the tacit recognition that somebody famous or superbly capable uses the equipment, or (failing that) just very rich people.

4) Obscure but rare collectable items from the “golden age” of fly fishing. Could be hand-made bamboo rods or reels that cost more than a car. The more obscure and expensive the better. Special points given to items so little known that only the most rarefied of collectors would even recognize them.

4. Likes ia_trouter, dhaynes, cab, craigthor liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
    1) High price, the higher the better, the most expensive being ideal. This is very important to me. Anything to support my innate smugness and understated sense of superiority. Ideally, this would include things so fantastically over priced that most people could not even imagine buying one (incredibly expensive fly-tying bobbins are a good example).

2) Prestige manufacturer, as long as it supports the above. Ideally, these are companies recognized as a makers of the most expensive and highest quality of whatever it is.

3) Corporate support of name dropping. This could mean literal endorsements or the tacit recognition that somebody famous or superbly capable uses the equipment, or (failing that) just very rich people.

4) Obscure but rare collectable items from the “golden age” of fly fishing. Could be hand-made bamboo rods or reels that cost more than a car. The more obscure and expensive the better. Special points given to items so little known that only the most rarefied of collectors would even recognize them.
    ROFL! You forgot to mention that someone with your impeccable taste should be an endorsed spokesman.

The Main Things I Look For Are:
    1 Will it do The Job I want it for Regardless of where it's made as nearly everything these days is made in China Taiwan or Korea as I have Hardy Orvis SA Reels Made in China..
    2 The size is very important.
    3 How well is it made as you don't want to buy something that has been poorly made & Break down when you have a Trophy Fish on..
    4 The Finish on the item although in some cases it doesn't affect The workings.
    5 Is it damaged in any way probably The Most important as it also can affect The Items Operations.?
    6 I also consider The Weight especially with Fly Reels which is not really important although I don't want a Reel which Feels as if I have a Brick on The end of The Rod I will be Casting for 6-8 hours.
    Probably where The modern Reels have an advantage is they are mostly lighter through advanced Machining Principals than The Older ones.
    7 Probably The Main one The Price am I getting Value for my Money??
    If it doesn't fit all or most of The above I leave it alone.
    Brian

7. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    Initially it is trade offs between Price and Quality. This is followed by design/appearance. Things like warranty and customer service become more important as the price rises.
    IMHO I believe that William has expressed it short and simple. I am of the same opinion that price & quality are more important than anything else. Where gear is produced, especially fly rods, is not as important. I see attractive looking gear at both ends of the spectrum but quality will show over the long haul so I generally pay a little more for quality regardless of origin. When I look at three of the top three rods that I have, Hardy Zenith, is made in Korea, Kabuto, (Japan) and Sage ZXL (US). I have to admit, when it comes to reels, I have an addiction to vintage Hardy and very fond of my Waterworks Lamsons.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Bang for the buck - I'm too poor to buy cheap.

Discrete logos will win out over big flashy ones every time.

Does it come in a medium valued, flat, earth-tone color?
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

Quote Originally Posted by gfirob View Post

lol, loves me some pretend uppity folk.

11. Likes troutnut4, craigthor liked this post

Value, defined as (performance+reliability) / price.

So far the best value I've found yet was the Allen Kraken reel I got in exchange for a picture caption.
    1/2

======================================
    Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

13. Likes allenflyfishing liked this post

I try to get each item I have the day before it goes on sale. Been real lucky that way.

Mike
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

15. Likes argail, cab, von behr liked this post

Quality. I prefer higher over lower.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast