What is important to you when buying gear?

taylorreels

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a simple question that I wanted to ask. What are some of the important factors for you when purchasing a new piece of fly fishing gear? All of us have different values and concerns so I wonder if there are any commonalities among us. Some examples may be made in the USA, price, warranty, design, colors, performance, style, etc... What do you want from your fly fishing gear?

Matthew Taylor

Taylor Reels

plecain

Reaction score
This is somewhat generic.

It does what it's designed to do.

It doesn't get in my way while I'm using it.

I'll buy a new piece of gear if it makes my life easier, or allows me to do something I couldn't do without the new gear.

Oh, and one more. I trip over this more often than I should...It's just too good a deal to pass up.

fq13

Reaction score
Made in the US is a plus factor and worth a few extra bucks. But number one is performance. I don't care about asethics as I figure the fish don't care much either and their opinion is all matters. I want the right tool for the job that stays(loosely) inside my budget. Used is fine, ugly is fine, it just needs to work and keep working with no BS or ridiculous amounts of maintence. I feel the same way about guns, cars, boats and camping gear. Women too if I'm being honest.:) :D

M

mridenour

Value---worth every penny. I don't have a lot of disposable income and I have to stretch my dollars.

Performance---it has to work and be durable.

Customer Service---if something goes wrong, help is a great thing.

Made in USA---a nice thing but if not, strong US ties in design and overseeing production.

williamhj

Reaction score
Initially it is trade offs between Price and Quality. This is followed by design/appearance. Things like warranty and customer service become more important as the price rises.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Here are my three main points.

Long term performance - I want a reel that will perform the same now that it did when I first used it. I have saltwater reels that have been going strong for over 10 years.

Maintenance - I prefer reels that require some service other than rinsing them out after a long day fishing to make them last. If something goes wrong with them, I know that I have to take personal responsibility. I have seen some issues with some maintenance free reels.

Service - I also understand that I may have to send the reel in to the manufacturer for service. It's great to know that a bearing or any other part could be replaced even though the model has been discontinued.

Like others, I do not have a lot of disposable income, but I prefer top of the line equipment. If that means that I have to put in a few extra shifts at the second job or sell some other toys on eBay, I will do that. It is nice to know that I am buying what I want.

Dennis

fishers_fisherman

Reaction score
For me, when considering large item purchases (fishing gear or otherwise), I tend to first look at versatility-how much use in different situations or applications can I get. Couple examples, for my first rod I picked up a 6wt, seems to do pretty well throwing anything from small dry's to decent size poppers and bass bugs; for an EDC sidearm I go with Rugers .357 LCR, able to shoot magnum loads plus .38spc and .38+P, kinda like having three pistols in one.
Quality is right next if not tied for first, how well is something constructed, how long will I be able to use it, will it hold up with minimal required maintenance or work.
Finally pricing is my other big focus. If I'm happy with the first two consideration points, I'm usually willing to pay a bit more (within reason). Of course it's really hard to pass up a great deal when you find one and sometimes logic just has to take a backseat.

fq13

Reaction score
OOOH! I forgot, free stuff. The guys at Allen give us cookies. Taylor caption contests maybe, because we are both cheap and easy.ROFL!
Actually, its only half a joke. The best advertising you could do is scatter a few reels around boards like this one and a few others and then get word of mouth, er, net back.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Value---worth every penny. I don't have a lot of disposable income and I have to stretch my dollars.

Performance---it has to work and be durable.

Customer Service---if something goes wrong, help is a great thing.

Made in USA---a nice thing but if not, strong US ties in design and overseeing production.
What Mike said. I also add resale value to my criteria if it is an overly expensive item. Just in case I didn't really know what I actually needed.

Reactions: Ard

gfirob

Reaction score
1) High price, the higher the better, the most expensive being ideal. This is very important to me. Anything to support my innate smugness and understated sense of superiority. Ideally, this would include things so fantastically over priced that most people could not even imagine buying one (incredibly expensive fly-tying bobbins are a good example).

2) Prestige manufacturer, as long as it supports the above. Ideally, these are companies recognized as a makers of the most expensive and highest quality of whatever it is.

3) Corporate support of name dropping. This could mean literal endorsements or the tacit recognition that somebody famous or superbly capable uses the equipment, or (failing that) just very rich people.

4) Obscure but rare collectable items from the “golden age” of fly fishing. Could be hand-made bamboo rods or reels that cost more than a car. The more obscure and expensive the better. Special points given to items so little known that only the most rarefied of collectors would even recognize them.

fq13

Reaction score
1) High price, the higher the better, the most expensive being ideal. This is very important to me. Anything to support my innate smugness and understated sense of superiority. Ideally, this would include things so fantastically over priced that most people could not even imagine buying one (incredibly expensive fly-tying bobbins are a good example).

2) Prestige manufacturer, as long as it supports the above. Ideally, these are companies recognized as a makers of the most expensive and highest quality of whatever it is.

3) Corporate support of name dropping. This could mean literal endorsements or the tacit recognition that somebody famous or superbly capable uses the equipment, or (failing that) just very rich people.

4) Obscure but rare collectable items from the “golden age” of fly fishing. Could be hand-made bamboo rods or reels that cost more than a car. The more obscure and expensive the better. Special points given to items so little known that only the most rarefied of collectors would even recognize them.
ROFL! You forgot to mention that someone with your impeccable taste should be an endorsed spokesman.:D

L

Liphookedau

The Main Things I Look For Are:
1 Will it do The Job I want it for Regardless of where it's made as nearly everything these days is made in China Taiwan or Korea as I have Hardy Orvis SA Reels Made in China..
2 The size is very important.
3 How well is it made as you don't want to buy something that has been poorly made & Break down when you have a Trophy Fish on..
4 The Finish on the item although in some cases it doesn't affect The workings.
5 Is it damaged in any way probably The Most important as it also can affect The Items Operations.?
6 I also consider The Weight especially with Fly Reels which is not really important although I don't want a Reel which Feels as if I have a Brick on The end of The Rod I will be Casting for 6-8 hours.
Probably where The modern Reels have an advantage is they are mostly lighter through advanced Machining Principals than The Older ones.
7 Probably The Main one The Price am I getting Value for my Money??
If it doesn't fit all or most of The above I leave it alone.
Brian

troutnut4

Reaction score
Initially it is trade offs between Price and Quality. This is followed by design/appearance. Things like warranty and customer service become more important as the price rises.
IMHO I believe that William has expressed it short and simple. I am of the same opinion that price & quality are more important than anything else. Where gear is produced, especially fly rods, is not as important. I see attractive looking gear at both ends of the spectrum but quality will show over the long haul so I generally pay a little more for quality regardless of origin. When I look at three of the top three rods that I have, Hardy Zenith, is made in Korea, Kabuto, (Japan) and Sage ZXL (US). I have to admit, when it comes to reels, I have an addiction to vintage Hardy and very fond of my Waterworks Lamsons.:D

random user

Reaction score
Bang for the buck - I'm too poor to buy cheap.

Discrete logos will win out over big flashy ones every time.

Does it come in a medium valued, flat, earth-tone color?

ia_trouter

Reaction score

lol, loves me some pretend uppity folk. :)

half fast

Reaction score
Value, defined as (performance+reliability) / price.

So far the best value I've found yet was the Allen Kraken reel I got in exchange for a picture caption.