Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 wt for blue gill

Default Re: 3 wt for blue gill

For the ultimate thrill with Bluegills, try a 1 wt! I've caught one million big 'gills with that rod ...... and it doesn't over stress the fish at all (1,000,000 caught and every single one released alive and unhurt!)

Orvis Superfine 1 wt, Sage 3100 UL, and a Sponge Spider:

2. Likes tbblom, flymoron liked this post
  3. Default Re: 3 wt for blue gill

Quote Originally Posted by rickf View Post
    For the ultimate thrill with Bluegills, try a 1 wt! I've caught one million big 'gills with that rod ...... and it doesn't over stress the fish at all (1,000,000 caught and every single one released alive and unhurt!)

Orvis Superfine 1 wt, Sage 3100 UL, and a Sponge Spider:

the lighter the better!

I'd second the notion of thinking about a one or two weight. Particularly since you already have a 4 weight, you are not going to see a significant difference between a 3 and a 4 wt.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

What can you effectively toss in a light breeze with a 1WT? That was a question, not a challenge to the last few posters. I've never touched 1WT.

There is actually more power the those weight rods then youd think. I've flung a 00 and it was surprisingly easy to cast. granted it doesnt push super far, but you arent making super far casts with that kind of rod.

I have 3wts in a St Croix Avid and Sage Vantage and a 2wt CT. They are all excellent rods and I will recommend them all. I was using the vantage this spring for the big bluegill in a pond by work and its so much freaking fun. Plus a 10" bull bluegill will really make that 3wt curl over.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    What can you effectively toss in a light breeze with a 1WT? That was a question, not a challenge to the last few posters. I've never touched 1WT.
    If I can toss a #6 leech wrapped with 20 or so wraps of .020 lead and a 5mm conehead with my 3wt... I bet I could toss a #10 leech with a 1wt.

8. Default Re: 3 wt for blue gill

Bought a Cabela's setup, 7' 6" 4 wt with reel and line for under $60 over the summer. It is a great bluegill rod,

I have a rod that seems to meet your needs for throwing light stuff as well as streamers. It is a Sage 8' 3wt XP. I have only fished it about a dozen times, since I don't fish small waters very often. It is in excellent condition and I would sell it for $200, plus shipping.

TFO pro 7'6" 3wt, my favorite for gills, crappie, alpine brookies, and small stream trout. The best rod I have for close quarters roll casting, this thing has seriously improved my roll cast ability. Cushions 6-7x very well.
    It has enough backbone to throw small buggers or light nymph rigs. Biggest fish so far on it was about 14", quite a fight!

PS ^^^^ throssing's deal above is pretty nice if its in your budget...

Instagram page @tblom77

I have an Orvis Clearwater 3wt that I absolutely LOVE for panfish. It is my bluegill pond/small trout creek rod and it seems to do very well in both places.

I highly recommend it to everyone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast