3 wt for blue gill

fq13

Reaction score
I have recently rediscovered the joys of ultra light spinning rods for warm water in canals where its too overgrown /to cast a fly. Seriously small stuff, five foot rods geared to throw 1/32 oz. lures with four pound test line. It makes even a small fish a good time.

I am thinking of taking the same approach with fly rods. I have two ponds full of bluegills not a hundred yards from my house. I was thinking of a three weight. Now I have a perfectly good four weight. Its by the late lamented JK Fisher company. But that thing is a damn zippy rod. I rountinely throw #6 heavy clousers with it and catch three pound plus bass. Heck I even took a six pound striper with the thing in the Grand Canyon. There are not words to describe how much I love that rod. But frankly, its a eight weight trapped in a small body.:worthy:

What I want is something that will let a bluegill show off, but not be so noodly that I can'throw small streamers and poppers. I also want to do this cheap. I'm not dropping three bills on a bluegill rod. I was thinking of the Redington CTs. Anybody have suggestions
Thanks

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Redington CT 3WT 7-6 is what I'm slinging. Blast for bluegills. Not sure what more you would ever need for panfish. Anything larger would take some of the fun out of it. A 3WT will land a nice gill in a reasonable period of time.

random user

Reaction score
My Favorite rod is a 7'6" St. Croix Imperial which is old and labeled 2/3 for a weight.
Got it to fish small flies in tight places on smaller rivers and streams for trout almost always under 16".

This summer I was using it to throw up to #10 deer hair sliders and divers, #10 Bead chain clousers, clousers on a #8 9672 with 1/50 oz lead dumbbells (not much of a chuck-n-duck), etc.

The rod handled juvie large mouth, large crappie and the like without much of a problem

fq13

Reaction score
Redington CT 3WT 7-6 is what I'm slinging. Blast for bluegills. Not sure what more you would ever need for panfish. Anything larger would take some of the fun out of it. A 3WT will land a nice gill in a reasonable period of time.
Will it throw little poppers and wooly buggers and small clousers? What I'm afraid of is just buying a dry fly rod that I'm going to have to ape arm to cast thirty feet with a number eight bead head bugger. At the same time I want somthing soft enough to enjoy a hand sized bluegill or oscar. Contradictory I know. How does that CT cast the heavier stuff?

fr8dog

Reaction score
I have a Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt. for bluegills. Nice little stick with an Allen Alpha 3/4. Runs $60 normal. I got it for $35 when they had a sale. Very happy with it. If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out for Cabela's sales.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Will it throw little poppers and wooly buggers and small clousers? What I'm afraid of is just buying a dry fly rod that I'm going to have to ape arm to cast thirty feet with a number eight bead head bugger. At the same time I want somthing soft enough to enjoy a hand sized bluegill or oscar. Contradictory I know. How does that CT cast the heavier stuff?

Yup, it'll do all that and you can spank your kids with it too. :)

I have cast tiny nymphs, poppers, #10 woolies etc. It won't cast a Musky streamer nor a 3oz lead weight if you want to flathead catfish with it. You'll need a 4 weight for that stuff. :)

Other than a dozen IA pound trout, I suppose I have landed 15-20 fish with it. Small to large gills, couple small crappie and small LM Bass. You'll know when a big gill is on it, but it does just fine.

It loads easily and that is good because I don't know what I am doing yet. Stinks in high wind. 25mph wind yesterday so I took the 5WT instead.

T

turbineblade

If you are a fairly good caster, a lot of stuff is doable with a 3-weight.

I enjoy fishing my 3-weight quite a bit. Where it isn't ideal is when it's windy and when I'm nymphing.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have a Cabela's Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt. for bluegills. Nice little stick with an Allen Alpha 3/4. Runs $60 normal. I got it for $35 when they had a sale. Very happy with it. If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out for Cabela's sales.
I know I just lobbied for the Redington CT, but +1 for this advice too. My daughters new 4WT is a Cabelas and there is nothing wrong with it at all,. They go on great sales too. The CT on sale for $100 or less gets the nod from me now though.

caseywise

Reaction score
i have a 4 wt allen ats rod that i really like and my
wife has a 3 wt of the same model.
a great overall rod and an awesome gill rod at that.
the ats is being retooled so looked for the new model:D

casey

rickf

Reaction score
For the ultimate thrill with Bluegills, try a 1 wt! I've caught one million big 'gills with that rod ...... and it doesn't over stress the fish at all (1,000,000 caught and every single one released alive and unhurt!)

Orvis Superfine 1 wt, Sage 3100 UL, and a Sponge Spider:

flymoron

Reaction score
For the ultimate thrill with Bluegills, try a 1 wt! I've caught one million big 'gills with that rod ...... and it doesn't over stress the fish at all (1,000,000 caught and every single one released alive and unhurt!)

Orvis Superfine 1 wt, Sage 3100 UL, and a Sponge Spider:

the lighter the better!

pszy22

Reaction score
I'd second the notion of thinking about a one or two weight. Particularly since you already have a 4 weight, you are not going to see a significant difference between a 3 and a 4 wt.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
There is actually more power the those weight rods then youd think. I've flung a 00 and it was surprisingly easy to cast. granted it doesnt push super far, but you arent making super far casts with that kind of rod.

I have 3wts in a St Croix Avid and Sage Vantage and a 2wt CT. They are all excellent rods and I will recommend them all. I was using the vantage this spring for the big bluegill in a pond by work and its so much freaking fun. Plus a 10" bull bluegill will really make that 3wt curl over.

itchmesir

Reaction score
What can you effectively toss in a light breeze with a 1WT? That was a question, not a challenge to the last few posters. I've never touched 1WT.
If I can toss a #6 leech wrapped with 20 or so wraps of .020 lead and a 5mm conehead with my 3wt... I bet I could toss a #10 leech with a 1wt.

cavdvr

Reaction score
Bought a Cabela's setup, 7' 6" 4 wt with reel and line for under $60 over the summer. It is a great bluegill rod,

throssing

Reaction score
I have a rod that seems to meet your needs for throwing light stuff as well as streamers. It is a Sage 8' 3wt XP. I have only fished it about a dozen times, since I don't fish small waters very often. It is in excellent condition and I would sell it for $200, plus shipping.

tbblom

Reaction score
TFO pro 7'6" 3wt, my favorite for gills, crappie, alpine brookies, and small stream trout. The best rod I have for close quarters roll casting, this thing has seriously improved my roll cast ability. Cushions 6-7x very well.
It has enough backbone to throw small buggers or light nymph rigs. Biggest fish so far on it was about 14", quite a fight!

PS ^^^^ throssing's deal above is pretty nice if its in your budget...

tex

Reaction score
I have an Orvis Clearwater 3wt that I absolutely LOVE for panfish. It is my bluegill pond/small trout creek rod and it seems to do very well in both places.

I highly recommend it to everyone