Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chasing daylight

With daylight savings upon us, I noticed a window in the tides this morning that matched perfectly with the first couple of hours of the day, beginning at sunrise.

Having an extra hour of sleep was a nice bonus, but I wanted to get that last bit of incoming tide before the high tide hit at 8:00 am.

I grabbed a coffee on the way to the beach and geared up shortly after 6. I always start out very relaxed, but as I gear up and tie on that first fly, I get anxious and my hands get shaky with anticipation (not from coffee, trust me). It doesn't matter how many times I go fishing, and age and experience don't seem to matter...the anticipation is always there.

I scanned the water for some structure, and I watched the sun slowly creep up over a bluff...the beach was all mine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The surf was rough, with some big rip currents and waves stacking on top of each other. I also had some seaweed to contend with, which can make for a frustrating outing. One of the waves even knocked me down, causing some chilly seawater to grace the inside of my waders.

My second cast hit home with a nice surf perch, and I managed to catch several more between the intermittent invasion of seaweed that had to be removed from my fly.

As the surfers began to arrive, I saw an explosion of water about 100 yards from the shore, followed by a couple of silvery fish leaping into the air, but I knew they were too small to have caused the commotion. There was a predator under there, but I wasn't sure what it was yet.

Within seconds, my question was answered when a large sea lion leaped from the water chasing some fish. He looked like a big kid splashing in a swimming pool. He spent several minutes thrashing around in pursuit of his morning meal. I just didn't want him chasing away all the other customers.

Having been spoiled with the bump-bump-bump feeling of some healthy surf perch on my line, I've given the 8-weight a rest and have been taking my 6-weight rod with me the last few outings.

Of course, as fate would have it, this morning I felt the rock-solid grab from something big. Suddenly, both rod and reel had to go to work.

I quickly put him on the reel, cranked down the drag on my Ross Rhythm 2, and tried to put some wood to him. This guy wasn't slowing down at all. He started running toward Santa Barbara, so I backed out of the waves and ran along the shore for a stretch to keep him in range.

After a serious tug-o-war, I landed a large shovelnose guitarfish (commonly called a sand shark). I didn't snap a pic, because I wanted to get him right back in the water after that lengthy fight.

Here are a couple of the other critters who visited me this morning:

So, take advantage of that extra hour today. It's a nice bonus on this gorgeous Sunday.

Cheers,

-VB
    ....Just one more cast...

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Chasing daylight

Quote Originally Posted by von behr View Post
    With daylight savings upon us, I noticed a window in the tides this morning that matched perfectly with the first couple of hours of the day, beginning at sunrise.

Having an extra hour of sleep was a nice bonus, but I wanted to get that last bit of incoming tide before the high tide hit at 8:00 am.

I grabbed a coffee on the way to the beach and geared up shortly after 6. I always start out very relaxed, but as I gear up and tie on that first fly, I get anxious and my hands get shaky with anticipation (not from coffee, trust me). It doesn't matter how many times I go fishing, and age and experience don't seem to matter...the anticipation is always there.

I scanned the water for some structure, and I watched the sun slowly creep up over a bluff...the beach was all mine.

The surf was rough, with some big rip currents and waves stacking on top of each other. I also had some seaweed to contend with, which can make for a frustrating outing. One of the waves even knocked me down, causing some chilly seawater to grace the inside of my waders.

My second cast hit home with a nice surf perch, and I managed to catch several more between the intermittent invasion of seaweed that had to be removed from my fly.

As the surfers began to arrive, I saw an explosion of water about 100 yards from the shore, followed by a couple of silvery fish leaping into the air, but I knew they were too small to have caused the commotion. There was a predator under there, but I wasn't sure what it was yet.

Within seconds, my question was answered when a large sea lion leaped from the water chasing some fish. He looked like a big kid splashing in a swimming pool. He spent several minutes thrashing around in pursuit of his morning meal. I just didn't want him chasing away all the other customers.

Having been spoiled with the bump-bump-bump feeling of some healthy surf perch on my line, I've given the 8-weight a rest and have been taking my 6-weight rod with me the last few outings.

Of course, as fate would have it, this morning I felt the rock-solid grab from something big. Suddenly, both rod and reel had to go to work.

I quickly put him on the reel, cranked down the drag on my Ross Rhythm 2, and tried to put some wood to him. This guy wasn't slowing down at all. He started running toward Santa Barbara, so I backed out of the waves and ran along the shore for a stretch to keep him in range.

After a serious tug-o-war, I landed a large shovelnose guitarfish (commonly called a sand shark). I didn't snap a pic, because I wanted to get him right back in the water after that lengthy fight.

Here are a couple of the other critters who visited me this morning:

So, take advantage of that extra hour today. It's a nice bonus on this gorgeous Sunday.

Cheers,

-VB
    VB,

What an awesome trip report thanks for sharing. Sound like you had an absolutely wonderful morning on the beach! As always great photos to boot. I'm with you, going fishing is a relaxing time but as I tie on that first fly the hands don't always cooperate. Especially at the end of a week on a river

I'm living vicariously though you today, so thanks for the post. I was due to go fishing this morning but yesterday's rains blew out my streams. Just an awesome post.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Default Re: Chasing daylight

Wow ! Sounds like like a great way to " reel in " the time change !
    I know what you mean about the excitement of going fishing. If that spark wasn't there, why bother getting up early ?
    Glad you enjoyed the day. I got out for a while yesterday. Caught a few decent sized 'bows on a little 6' fly rod, went home after about an hour, and it made the rest of the day a lot better. Tight lines, VB !
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

Great report! Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Maybe some day I'll make it out to the coast for some saltwater fun.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    VB,

What an awesome trip report thanks for sharing. Sound like you had an absolutely wonderful morning on the beach! As always great photos to boot. I'm with you, going fishing is a relaxing time but as I tie on that first fly the hands don't always cooperate. Especially at the end of a week on a river

I'm living vicariously though you today, so thanks for the post. I was due to go fishing this morning but yesterday's rains blew out my streams. Just an awesome post.
    jaybo, sorry to hear about the streams out there. Hopefully, they will settle down and give up some secrets.

I travel up to Oregon a couple of times a year to visit my folks, but I still haven't managed to catch a steelhead, not once. It rains a lot there, but when I go up to visit, it's always biblical, and the rivers are blown out.

Here the weather cooperates much more, but there are no steelhead or trout nearby. My version of trout are those feisty little perch along with whatever else is lurking under the waves.

6. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by von behr View Post
    jaybo, sorry to hear about the streams out there. Hopefully, they will settle down and give up some secrets.

I travel up to Oregon a couple of times a year to visit my folks, but I still haven't managed to catch a steelhead, not once. It rains a lot there, but when I go up to visit, it's always biblical, and the rivers are blown out.

Here the weather cooperates much more, but there are no steelhead or trout nearby. My version of trout are those feisty little perch along with whatever else is lurking under the waves.
    Ahhh man, your parents are situated in Steelhead nirvana! By the sounds of things, it's similar to what I have to contend with here. In order to give yourself prime opportunity to fish, you need to have your gear ready to go and have the opportunity to make the trip on an instant's notice. I'm hoping things line up for you soon! And of course I'm hoping to see pictures too!

As for me, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the weekend. I spent time last weekend getting my gear turned over from Kings to Steel. Bags are packed, now I just need it to be the weekend!

Jaybo,

The weekend is almost here. I hope the flows and the fish cooperate with your much-anticipated adventure.

-VB

9. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

VB, it's almost that time to plan and give it a go. Right now the water is up and temps are good which is great because that means fish will be on the move. Barring unforeseen weather patterns dumping more water into the river system, I should be on the water on Sunday. Thanks for keeping that trip in mind

Are you getting out this weekend or anytime soon?

Jaybo,

I took a couple days off this week and next for some R&R. I was checking the tides, and I plan to hit the beach early tomorrow morning for a few hours on an incoming tide. I'm hoping for calm conditions with no kelp washing in.

I also need to get out to the archery range for a few hours to make sure my bow and my shooting skills are dialed in for Monday's turkey hunt up near Santa Barbara. The fall turkey season is short, and it's tough hunting, because they don't come to a call. Spot and stalk with those wily creatures is a major challenge. The odds are definitely in the birds' favor, but that's one of the things I really like about it.

I hope the weather cooperates and you get to see lots of chrome up close and personal.

-VB

12. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks VB! Here's to a kelp free morning with incoming tides and plenty of elbow room And by all means, good luck with the birds. Make sure you hang on to the feathers if you bag one. And I don't necessarily mean just the tail feathers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast