Reel for 7 wt Switch rod ?

eastfly66

Reaction score
I am looking to get a reel for a switch rod for SH in NY. Lampson Guru 3.5 and Speedster are 2 that the shop recommended? Also what size do I need ? Do I go up a line to 8/9 ? I am looking for middle of the road cost.

Thanks

jfaisten

Reaction score
The reel is a tough choice -- there are so many on the market. If I was buying one I'd look for a sealed no maint drag and spend as much as you can afford. A reel with a very good drag is critical on the SR. I'd buy an Abel.
If you buy a 7 weight line your reel needs to hold 8wt due to the size of the lines made for switch rods.
Looking forward to other answers on reels.

M

mridenour

The drag on the Lamson Guru is pretty awesome. Mine protected 6x tippet on big cuts making hard runs this summer. I was very impressed.

I also like the new drag system on Allen's new reels. We used several Allen reels on our recent salmon trips and will be using them this weekend for Chromes. Plus, with Allen you get Justin and the rest of the guys to make sure you are doing more fishing than fixing.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Do you plan on using the rod for Kings or Steelhead or maybe both? If you are specifically targeting steelhead and fishing them when the kings aren't in the river, you may be able to get away with a Click & Pawl like a Marquis or the SA equivalent. I fish a St. John on my 6wt switch for Steelhead.

If you're looking for a reels with drag, Lamson would get the job done. Perhaps a little above middle of the road cost wise, but high in quality, you may want consider a Galvan Rush. The drag is the same as the Torque series, which I fish for kings and steelhead can can say has plenty of stopping power.

On size, you want a reel that is at least one size up and maybe 2 but what you can get away with depends on what line you're using too. If you were considering the Rush, I'd look at the R-10.

sandfly

Reaction score
jeez any of the reels made in china today are as good as the lamsons... and half the cost.. sorry guys but its the fact. I have a china made reel (brytec in England) and it performs great on my switch rod flawlessly. I paid 39.00 for it too. been beating the **** out of it and it's still ticking...

for kings I use a 9wt. with a medalist anti reverse, heavy but never a problem.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I see the Sage 1880 (discontinued) for sale for $79. holds 7-9 wt. Does anyone know if that will work with a 7 wt switch line ?

cavdvr

Reaction score
I bought a 7 ft switch rod and was looking to use a konic 3.5 with it. I have 9 wt wf line on it. I wanted to get a extra spool, Glad I went to the konic 4 as the skagit lines are bigger.

Looking to go to a bigger reel with a the longer spey rod.

jfaisten

Reaction score
that Sage size wise should be fine. Not sure about the quality of that reel. For the SR you need a reel with stopping power or you better be very good at break dancing across rocks because you'll be running up and down the river.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I cant dance to save my life. I think my Tioga LA 10 will do the job but I need to take my saltwater line off to see if a switch line will fit.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
The Sage 1880 is actually an excellent reel. They are light, big arbor, and have a fully sealed saltwater safe drag. They are kind of a hiding in plain sight secert reel.

Go into the reel section, they have a 8wt reel shoot out, the 1880 comes in at like 2nd or 3rd place, and thats even agasint all the big name guys.