Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default S.A. Textured line

I have a choice. I am getting this for my four weights, but has anyone experienced S.A.Textured GPX and the GPX Trout Stalker. The Trout Stalker has shorter front and longer belly, but how does it cast?
    Thanks
    Joni

Default Re: S.A. Textured line

First off, I think the choice of line depends on the action of the rod you are fishing. The GPX is a great line for most fast action rods. It has a little extra weight that, along with the taper, loads well most fast action rods. TheTrout Stalker is probably better for medium to medium fast action rods. For example, I use a GPX with my Sage XP 6 weight. I have used the SA Textured Trout Stalker with my Winston four weight.

Used with my Winston, the SA textured Trout Stalker was a good line, casting wise. I used one for a year. It lands nice and light in the front for dry fly fishing. I like the neutral gray color. It's versitile enough that you can do light line nymphing with it -- to be truthful, on one trip, I was casting two nymphs with split shot and a thingabobber with it, and throwing them out there pretty well.

I've stopped using it because I don't like the textured finish. I've switched to a Rio Trout LT for the rod I bought the trout stalker for. I still have an older, non-textured trout stalker in DT I use with another rod, another Winston. I love that line.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

3. Likes mrfzx liked this post
  4. Default Re: S.A. Textured line

Thanks for the response. I like the GPX for that extra 1/2. That is what my SS is. I will be using it on the new 10'4 wt ICON from Allen's. Do you know if it is easier or worse that the GPX series of Texture. I am trying to decide on the two. A longer front shorter belly or a shorter front and a long belly. I know the long belly is a great all around taper.

I think the longer belly of the Trout Stalker was put in to help with roll casting. I'd say that the trout stalker is meant for more up close, small flies, delicate presentations. With the GPX, you can probably throw a mile.

Does this answer your question? Or did I misunderstand it?
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

6. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

Trout Stalker on all my Winston WT's love that line. Wish it came in A 2wt.
    R Reese

8. Default Re: S.A. Textured line

Quote Originally Posted by mtbusman View Post
    I think the longer belly of the Trout Stalker was put in to help with roll casting. I'd say that the trout stalker is meant for more up close, small flies, delicate presentations. With the GPX, you can probably throw a mile.

Does this answer your question? Or did I misunderstand it?

It does, and I thank you. I bought the TROUT in the SS and I feel I have to muscle it. It is great on a 3 wt and glass so I like that. I was thinking the TROUT STALKER would be the same, but it is a GPX.
    Now you mentioned it, the longer belly will be nice for mending too, but you had me at the roll casting...LOL

Blog Entries

I have both Textured GPX and Trout Stalker. If you're fishing dries and small nymphs, TS is a great line. I fished TS on a ZXL and it was an ideal match. Casts like a dream. Probably would work well on the two SLT's I've got too.

I fish Textured GPX on a ZAxis, and it's a nice pairing. The textured line certainly seems to be a little more resistant to picking up dirt through my experiences. Handles double nymphs and streamers just fine. It's clearly not as delicate as the TS and a little more clunky so to speak.

My disclaimer is that I'm not a casting god, average fits the bill just fine.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

I cant comment on the Trout Stalker but I love the GPX lines. They really work best on the fast rods. I can pretty easily get most of the line to cast out on all the rods I have paired with it, it does however land alittle hard sometimes when really giving it the umph with my super fast rods.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I was thinking the TROUT STALKER would be the same, but it is a GPX.
    Are you sure it is a GPX? I haven't seen it described that way on the website.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by r reese View Post
    Trout Stalker on all my Winston WT's love that line. Wish it came in A 2wt.
    Me too. I have a trout stalker in DT that I use with my Winston IM6. Great line for that rod. Mine is an older line, before they made it textured.

12. Default Re: S.A. Textured line

THANK YOU! I just looked at the picture and you are right...this makes it much easier.
    I haven't received it, my brother in law picked it up for me and he is in Idaho, I am in Utah. I will get him to switch it.

Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast