New to the sport..First rod?

shotgunlew

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I am new to the sport of fly fishing but I have been fishing my entire life. I am looking for some suggestions on a first fly rod. The species I will be targeting will be Smallies, Largemouth and Steelhead. I know these fish vary in size... So I was thinking a 8 weight 9 foot rod ( The Cabela's RLS that is currently on sale )...How would this be for a first rod? Also I mostly fish in Illinois on the Dupage river but would like to be able to go to local lakes/ponds as well as the Root River in Racine.

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
The dupage is making quite a come back the last decade or so, they let some brute spawning sized smallies go last year. Hope you can tangle with one of those tagged fish...

5 wt for smallies

8 wt for steelies

Everyone is hot right now on the Redington Ct's and for 75$ on sale it seems worth a shot

If your ever heading up to the root, drop me a line, that is as close to home waters as i get

M

mridenour

The dupage is making quite a come back the last decade or so, they let some brute spawning sized smallies go last year. Hope you can tangle with one of those tagged fish...

5 wt for smallies

8 wt for steelies

Everyone is hot right now on the Redington Ct's and for 75$ on sale it seems worth a shot

If your ever heading up to the root, drop me a line, that is as close to home waters as i get
How is the Root this week?

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
How is the Root this week?
we got pounded by that storm yesterday, so today its really kicking, but thats a whole different story

i did get a nice brown stripping some rabbit through a bridge pool on the milwaukee this saturday though

just north or where you boys were a few weeks back

might have been a nice 7 or 8 pounds

M

mridenour

we got pounded by that storm yesterday, so today its really kicking, but thats a whole different story

i did get a nice brown stripping some rabbit through a bridge pool on the milwaukee this saturday though

just north or where you boys were a few weeks back

might have been a nice 7 or 8 pounds
We did fish Kletsch Park on that Sunday. I hooked a big brown there and we got some Coho. Went down to Capital and got nothing after that. Looked like the locals pounded it hard on that Saturday.

My buddies Rick and Steve are headed back up on Sunday. I'm not going, I have obligations at church. Bummer.

Congrats on the Brown!

shotgunlew

Reaction score
So now I'm torn...Do I get a 5 wt for my first or a 8 wt...... I only want to get one rod to start as I am new to the sport....( I have latterly done it once as a child for a half an hour ) but I have dreamt about doing it for ages now. Finally at a point that I can afford a new hobby ( Guitar building and muskie fishing kill me )

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Orvis has a halibit deal going on right now...$129 for the 8wt combo. You get the rod, reel, line , backing, + a leader, and a rod/reel case!

Saltwater Fly Rod and Reel / Streamline 8-weight 9' Saltwater Outfit -- Orvis

Click on the video icon and listen to what Rosenbauer has to say about the 8wt.
How does this set up compare to the RLS from Cabela's?

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
So now I'm torn...Do I get a 5 wt for my first or a 8 wt...... I only want to get one rod to start as I am new to the sport....( I have latterly done it once as a child for a half an hour ) but I have dreamt about doing it for ages now. Finally at a point that I can afford a new hobby ( Guitar building and muskie fishing kill me )
8 first, you can use it before the 5

get it this holiday season, break it in on the root river or tribs in Wisconsin late february or march

then get the 5 wt once it warms for smallmouth season

IMHO

shotgunlew

Reaction score
Is the 8 wt any harder to learn on compared to the 5 wt? and of the Orvis vs the Cabela's RLS vs the Reddington ( I'd have to find a reel ) which would you guys suggest? Thanks for answering all the Newb questions...

Chris

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
5 wt vs 8 wt the fundamentals and physics are all the same

the weight of the rod and reel are just a bit more

ill let someone else voice opinions on reel qualities

calftail

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

How does this set up compare to the RLS from Cabela's?
Flip a coin :). I have both Orvis and Cabela's gear and have been satisfied with both. The Orvis was always priced on the high side but in this case the outfit is $30 cheaper. Both of them have a reputation to uphold and they really don't sell junk.

In the past we had an Orvis store locally and recently the area has added two Cabela's, but the Orvis store has had a no-questions asked return policy. Don't know about Cabela's.

btw...you missed out on the Orvis 5 wt. They were available yesterday and now must have sold out. Too bad...I was also going to recommend the 5 wt since both outfits would have been $260 bucks.

calftail

Reaction score

calftail

Reaction score
Any reason for weighing towards the Orvis? I really wish I could afford American made.....I know the Cabela's is Chinese....
Orvis doesn't sell junk. If you keep the rod for a while and decide to sell it the Orvis brand name will sell it for you.

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
Any reason for weighing towards the Orvis? I really wish I could afford American made.....I know the Cabela's is Chinese....
there is no better opinion other then your own after you have held both rods in your hand and taken a few imaginary casts with them, turn the handle on the reel, ect

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Orvis has discontinued the Streamline series and replaced it with the Encounter Series. I suspect it is more of a branding change than anything else, that's why the Streamlines are discounted. Can't go wrong with the Orvis or the Redington. Both are fine starter outfits that should serve you well.

I agree on starting with the 8 wt. You can very easily use the 8 wt for salmon, smallmouth, largemouth, pike, pickerel, carp and other freshwater sport fishes.