Newby to forum, looking for brackish water set up

flgatorgirl

Reaction score
Hi, I am returning to Fly Fishing after tooo many years, and am looking for a nice 6wt set up that can handle fresh and brackish water on the East Coast of FL. I am eyeing the Allen Compass rod with an Allen Trout II reel. Any thoughts concerns for that set up in brackish waters? I will be fishing mostly bass and whatever swims my way!
Thanks in advance!

dar

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't comment on Allen's fly rods, because I have never cast or fished one, but they do get good reviews. I do have a Trout II reel on my 5wt and it is a very nice reel. The drag is incredibly smooth and adjusts very easily. I can highly recommend this reel and would think it should balance on a 6wt rod.

All of my graphite rods are St Croix. They make fine rods and their new Imperial series has been rated by many as the best bang for the buck. But no matter whose rod you choose, if at all possible, try and cast before you buy. Allen has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so I suspect if you bought a rod from them and after doing some lawn casting didn't like it they would take it back.

Dave

fq13

Reaction score
Hi, I am returning to Fly Fishing after tooo many years, and am looking for a nice 6wt set up that can handle fresh and brackish water on the East Coast of FL. I am eyeing the Allen Compass rod with an Allen Trout II reel. Any thoughts concerns for that set up in brackish waters? I will be fishing mostly bass and whatever swims my way!
Thanks in advance!
For years I fished a Sage fast 6wt RPL and used a Loomis 10 GL 3 for when I was chunking heavy flies in the wind or chasing medium Tarpon. I recently bought an 8wt and love it. Are you mostly after seatrout/snook/bass or are you looking to chase tarpon or hit the surf? That will determine a lot of it. I like the light weight stuff, but a six for the mangroves will be pricy. Still, its my preffered rod. A ten is always enough rod unless you're looking at bonita or over forty pound tarpon. An eight weight is a good compromise, but for small jacks, mangroves and snapper and bass its a bit much. Still, I think its the best overall choice for a one rod solution. It will throw large flies, muscle a snook out of the groves, fight reasonable wind and still make three pound fish fun. Though not as much fun as a fast six, but that six limits your fly selection too. Forget size 2 deep clousers and seaducers. The eight will throw both. I gueßs the question is, what's your budget, and what do you intend to do the most of?

PS welcome.

Last edited:

flgatorgirl

Reaction score
I will be fishing lakes and ponds around and need to keep my budget to $300, "hook, line and sinker" so to speak.

fq13

Reaction score
I will be fishing lakes and ponds around and need to keep my budget to $300, "hook, line and sinker" so to speak.
How about $150 for a like new Orvis clearwater mid flex 2 pc nine foot eight weight with a 7/8 NIB Okuma reel, two lines and backing and a tube for $150 TYD? Down side is the reel though great, only holds seventy yds of twenty pound dacron, but I've got 115 of thirty pound braid on it. Its plenty for bass, snook and seatrout, not so much for tarpon. There you'll want around 200 yds capacity.
I'm not trying to push my used stuff on you, but it sounds like it would serve your purposes well. Look for the details in the classifieds. If you just want the rod its $100.
Also check out the Cabelas bargain cave. Some of their house brand stuff is going for good prices, and there's ebay. Regardless of who you buy from, the eight weight is your best bet for a three hundred dollar outfit. To get a six weight that will do the job the price point jumps a lot. Good luck and don't get brand focused. There is a lot of good stuff out there.

Last edited:

pa dave

Reaction score
If you go with the 8wt and the Okuma reel that fq13 mentions, I'd go up a size. I use an 8/9 on my 8wt rod. I had a 7/8 and it just didn't hold enough backing for my purposes. Too much backing always is better than too little. :) There was no price difference when I went to the larger reel, either.

dar

Reaction score
For what you are wanting to spend, you should be able to find a good combo outfit. Orvis has their new Encounter series as well as their Clearwater combo that would fit into your budget. And a new rod comes with a warranty. Most warranties are original owner only.

You mentioned that you were looking at Allen. By the way I do not work nor do I represent them. But I just looked on their website and here is what I found.

Compass fly rod $ 99.00
Trout 2 reel $149.00
Fly line $ 59.99

Total $302.99 not including shipping.

Good luck!

Dave

fq13

Reaction score
If you go with the 8wt and the Okuma reel that fq13 mentions, I'd go up a size. I use an 8/9 on my 8wt rod. I had a 7/8 and it just didn't hold enough backing for my purposes. Too much backing always is better than too little. :) There was no price difference when I went to the larger reel, either.
YEP.
Thats what I'm buying when I sell this one. Its a great reel in both sizes. The 7/8 is for bass and snook and seatrout, the 8/9 for larger critters. But regardless of who you buy from I'd look at these and Reddingtons, like their Pursuit. The Battenkill Disc Drags are great too and my preferred reel for SW Fl. inshore fishing. Its just there you're looking at $150 or so used on the auction site, and factoring in rod and line that will put you over budget.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

For what you are wanting to spend, you should be able to find a good combo outfit. Orvis has their new Encounter series as well as their Clearwater combo that would fit into your budget. And a new rod comes with a warranty. Most warranties are original owner only.

You mentioned that you were looking at Allen. By the way I do not work nor do I represent them. But I just looked on their website and here is what I found.

Compass fly rod $ 99.00
Trout 2 reel $149.00
Fly line $ 59.99

Total $302.99 not including shipping.

Good luck!

Dave
That Trout II isn't nearly enough reel. If you want Allen you want an Axis or Kraken. But the most important component is the rod. Spend your biggest money there and then divide the change. You'll catch 50 three pound fish for every fifty pounder, but only if you can can get the fly to them.