Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Fly fishing" split shot really sucks

turbineblade Guest

Default "Fly fishing" split shot really sucks

Well, this is pretty self-explanatory. Anyone else use normal split shot like I do? I'm talking about the gremlin stuff that is actually large enough to sink your rig quickly (and not just 1/2 through your drift -- which is worthless).

Usually when I'm nymphing I want to get not only deep eventually, but deep as quickly as possible. Usually more weight is required than can really be mustered with those little tiny shot from fly shops. I hate that stuff . You know, the rotary container stuff.

Who came up with that stuff anyway? Some of those sizes are so small that they're completely worthless. I don't think you could sink a #24 brassie with it.

2. Likes N/A, akruss liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Fly fishing" split shot really sucks

You can get these in some pretty hefty sizes that wil sink a Wullf Royal quickly.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

turbineblade Guest

Quote Originally Posted by random user View Post
    You can get these in some pretty hefty sizes that wil sink a Wullf Royal quickly.
    Yeah, but not an Elk Hair Caddis!

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Maybe the negative perception of using split shot has led to companies making half-assed stuff that makes people "feel better" about using it, but ironically doesn't actually do anything.

5. Likes N/A, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
    Well, this is pretty self-explanatory. Anyone else use normal split shot like I do? I'm talking about the gremlin stuff that is actually large enough to sink your rig quickly (and not just 1/2 through your drift -- which is worthless).

Usually when I'm nymphing I want to get not only deep eventually, but deep as quickly as possible. Usually more weight is required than can really be mustered with those little tiny shot from fly shops. I hate that stuff . You know, the rotary container stuff.

Who came up with that stuff anyway? Some of those sizes are so small that they're completely worthless. I don't think you could sink a #24 brassie with it.
    And that's with lead. You go somewhere like Jellystone where they get prissy and make you use bismuth and its worse, plus pricier.
    Another good reason to tie your own. You take a wrap of lead behind the bead. Shhh! Don't tell Ranger Smith.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    mridenour Guest

I used those and have been known to put a pretty big one on. I hate them but I just have to get the fly deep sometimes. I feel like I am skipping a lot of good water if I don't.

Try an extended drift to get your fly down and let it swing across before you strip it back in.
    steve

I use twistons, where legal and tungsten putty where it is not...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

11. Likes fredaevans, mcnerney liked this post
  12. Default Re: "Fly fishing" split shot really sucks

I can think of several spots in CO, mostly tailwaters, where fish are split shot shy even to the tiny ones. Sometimes your only hope at those spots is to use a lead beadhead fly, fluorocarbon leaders, and cast a mile upstream of the fish you're going for.

13. Likes mcnerney liked this post

You'd be surprised how much faster a size #24 brassie... Or even a thread Midge would get down than say a size #14 beadhead hare's ear... Or even a chunk of weight... Those tiny flies have very little surface area therefore they have little resistance and drop quickly... Long leaders and 6x fluoro tippet will assist in getting you down fast

15. Likes mcnerney, N/A liked this post
    Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.

I too hate using shot if I don't have to. I use tungsten putty more and more these days. That and a good tuck cast. Tight lines, Jeff.
    I'm a 90%'er... Catch my drift ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast