What tippet do you use?

craigthor

Reaction score
I know like all things fly fishing this is personal preference, but curious on what tippet you all like. Currently I'm using the Varivas Master Spec Mono in 6x and 7x though my 6x hasn't been as appreciative on my western rod as it was on my Tenkara rod. I am trying to stick with Mono tippets as I fish mostly dries but curious on if there is any I should really try out.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Berkley Vanish in 2lb and 4lb. I still have plenty of SA mono tippet as I do most of my fishing sub surface.

runningfish

Reaction score
I've bought Rio, SA and Orvis brand in various Xs, but using empty tippet spools, I spool my own tippet from P-Line CX clear 4lbs and 6lbs. Sunline FC Supersniper for my 7lbs streamer tippet. Saved me a lot of money.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Craig,

When I was still fishing some dry flies and single nymphs I had taken to liking the Dai Riki tippet or Rio products. I thought the Dai Riki was the most supple and when you have to go to 7X supple is good. It always seemed strong too.

When I fished with 6 - 7 and even 8X leader tippets I used 'Shock Butt' material in my leaders. Shock tippet, believe it or not I still have a bunch, is a very strong clear nylon / rubber product with great elasticity, What you do is either fix a section about 1' either at the butt of the leader or integrate it into the line to leader connection. The idea is that when a fish makes that sudden lunge on a light line, the one which will break a 7X tippet knot; your leader butt comes to the rescue by adding just a little more shock absorption into the chain of command.

Lets face it, fly fishermen often times over think things, they love the intrigue of a new gadget or system, and you're thinking about shock tippets right now aren't you :D I may seem set in my ways now, stubborn and unflinching as fad after fad, wave after wave, of new fangled ways to catch some poor fish come along, but there was a time when I was trying to solve some of life's little problems............... Problems like an 18" brown trout showing up where you never figured on that happening and then sucking in your size 20 Little Blue Quill. Yep, Shock Tippet in my leader butts :shades:

BTW, I mailed your package and will PM tracking number to you.

T

turbineblade

For trout, I generally use 4 pound (4x dia.) Maxima Ultragreen. I love that stuff so much. For smaller flies I some 2 pound maxima (6x dia.) that I also like.

For warm water I usually use 6-12 pound mono depending on the fly sizes, conditions, etc.

I only use tapered leaders for dry flies -- and I don't always use one then.

I usually don't use fluoro and I don't tend to over-think tippet too much.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
The majority of the fishing I do is in tidal water for bass, Striped Bass & panfish. I've become very fond of Yozuri Hybrid for both leaders & tippets. I use it on some of my baitcasters & spinning reels as well, so having to buy only one line type is a plus. Depending on the rod weight, my tippets range from 4 to 25lb test, and the Hybrid works well for all of them.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose only one, I am big fan of Trout Hunter. I also always have Rio tippet material as well as sun-line 2lb and 4lb line on smaller spools.

craigthor

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I do have Maxima on hand as I use it to tie my leaders I amy give the lighter weights a test for fishing use, may also check out that Trout Hunter as well.

craigthor

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with TroutHunter Nylon tippets, looking at tests that have been done it looks up to par. Also the .5x sizes might allow some fine tuning.

L

Liphookedau

Over many years I can't remember how many Brands I've used & up to a couple of years ago years I used Frog's Hair Mono which I found about The Best.
The Fluoros I've used to date have been Max,Spiderwire & Trilene however I found when Max became Old it lost it's Knot Strength as I lost a few really Big Fish from it so I now check all my Tipits before Fishing & if they look a Bit worse for wear I change them out.
A lot of people I know who are Real Fine Tipit Fanatics Change them after every Fish they catch.
Brian.

amertens

Reaction score
Craigthor,

I've been using trouthunter all this year in 4,5, and 6x. Seems like good stuff, I like it and will probably continue to use it. I had heard some people say not to use it with dry's because it will sink but I have been using it for both with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk