Synthetic Dubbing

streamcaddis

Reaction score
OK , here goes, I have started to use this synthetic dubbing. Dose anyone know how to mix this stuff?. I have tried time and time again and all I wind up with is a small piece of string not to mention clogging up my coffee grinder.
I have no problem with natural fur but this synthetic stuff just doesn't get it.:stretcher

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
I take a dawb of one color and a dawb of another and by grasping both together. I pull them apart and put back together. Repeating the shread/merge until I have it blended together. Adding one color or the other to get the color the way I want it. Sometimes adding a third color to get the "shade" I'm looking for. I have clipped antron yarn into short bits and using this method created "yarn dubbing".

This is a very boring activity so I try to do this while watching TV. Putting up a selection of blends in small quantities. A ball about the size of your palm will tye an amazing number of nymphs. Jewelry baggies are my preferred storage vessels.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've used the method aroostookbasser recommends, but I prefer to just buy pre blended dubbings. Squirrel/SLF and Haretron are the two best I've found.

BlueDun

Reaction score
I use the same method as aroostookbasser. Also, if the material is really long, I might cut it in half to make it easier to work with when dubbing.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
OK , here goes, I have started to use this synthetic dubbing. Dose anyone know how to mix this stuff?. I have tried time and time again and all I wind up with is a small piece of string not to mention clogging up my coffee grinder.
I have no problem with natural fur but this synthetic stuff just doesn't get it.:stretcher

The way I keep from plugging my Coffee grinder or tangling the dubbing is to use a little shorter pieces of yarn and do not go full blast on the power, just use a few short little burst, check the dubbing and pull apart a bit if needed, and hit again with short burst of power.
As far as how long each time, maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 a second each to start out, maybe a bit more after you get the feel for it.