Wristwatches What You Wear And Why

littledavid123

Reaction score
Most of us wear them and a lucky few don't. Curious about the kind of watch you wear and why. I have been wearing Omega Seamaster chronographs since a kid. My dad worked in Algeria for years and a part of his salary was paid in dinars. You couldn't exchange dinars so they had to be spent in Algeria and dad would save them and buy my brother and I the Omega watches. He passed away 16 years ago and several years afterwards saw the Omegas in a store, they brought back so many warm memories of dad I purchased one. Not one normally to put that much money on my wrist but it was worth every penny to think of him whenever I check the time. As a side note these are a tough watch, has not been off my wrist for seven years and the accuracy has gotten better. It is now about one minute a month fast.

Dave

Reactions: Ard

comeonavs

Reaction score
Omega Seamaster myself, and a Tag Heuer Carrera for me

Yes I used to be single.....:D

If I ever stop acquiring fly rods and reels I will save up for a different Tag or a Breitling. I am sort of a watch guy even though I only own two nice ones.

williamhj

Reaction score
When I'm not dressed for work or church or dinner it is a plastic watch I got for $20 at Target. Can handle a dunking on the river, face is scratched and has paint on it. I got a cheap one because I figured I'd lose it or break it but the battery has outlasted one of my nice watches two times over. Go figure.

I've thought about getting on that will tell me altitude (matters more in Colorado than it did in Michigan where I got the watch) and maybe one with a GPS but haven't cared to spend the cash.

fq13

Reaction score
My grandad bought me a casio for my 16th birthday. It died when I was 19. That was in 1989. I haven't worn one since. I'm pretty good at knowing the time, I've won a few bets getting it right to within ten minutes. And now I have thrice damned cell phone so I don't need one. So no watch for me. I just wish I could lose the phone. I hate being reachable 24/7.

ghocevar

Reaction score
Oh man...Dare I answer this question...I wear either my Suunto Core or Breitling Emergency when I'm fishing. Beyond that I wear a Bell & Ross, Rolex Anniversary, Ulysses Nardin Chronometer, Breitling Navitimer Heritage, or Cartier Speedster Chronograph. I like watches.

gregnash

Reaction score
Got myself a Fossil Kinetic Skeleton watch. They only make them every few years and reminds me I my dad who had one for years. Thing outlasted many watches and Fossil attempted to repair for over a decade until they no longer had parts. I get a lot of compliments on the watch. Oh and as a kinetic it is self winding but allows for it to be wound through the dial.

Oh and this thread is useless without pics!!!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Presently I'm not wearing a watch! The battery on my old watch died and their isn't any place in Pinedale, WY that carries small batteries and I keep forgetting to check for a replacement whenever I'm down in Rock Springs or up in Jackson. My watch is kicking around here someplace, I just can't put my hands on it at the moment to see what brand it is.

Larry

fq13

Reaction score
Presently I'm not wearing a watch! The battery on my old watch died and their isn't any place in Pinedale, WY that carries small batteries and I keep forgetting to check for a replacement whenever I'm down in Rock Springs or up in Jackson. My watch is kicking around here someplace, I just can't put my hands on it at the moment to see what brand it is.

Larry
Get used to that. Its nice not wearing one. You'll get there when you get there and no need to have a slavedriver on your wrist. A man must never hurry. To quote Tolkien "A wizard is neither late nor early. He arrives precisley when he intends to".:D

comeonavs

Reaction score
Oh man...Dare I answer this question...I wear either my Suunto Core or Breitling Emergency when I'm fishing. Beyond that I wear a Bell & Ross, Rolex Anniversary, Ulysses Nardin Chronometer, Breitling Navitimer Heritage, or Cartier Speedster Chronograph. I like watches.
Dang, that's quite a collection. I am jealous as could be.

I am weird, I wont buy a coke at a restaurant because $2.85 for a coke is a rip off, but $350 shoes and $3,000 watches are totally worth it.

My wife gave up on trying to understand me:D

siege

Reaction score
My fishing watch is a black face , black cased Swiss Army. It has a matte finish mineral crystal, to hold down the glare. I put a Velcro and leather strap on it for comfort. Like most of my watches, it has a rotating bezel, and I use the timing feature a !ot. The luminosity is strong, and my old eyes can still read it in the dark.
It's not an expensive watch, but it suits me.

standman

Reaction score
I'm on my second Casio Pathfinder.

I like that the watch shows the current moon phase as well as the most promising fishing times. Although the optimal times for fishing usually coincide with the better results, I try not to limit myself and fish whenever I can.

ja501

Reaction score
My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner for a wedding gift some years back. It's on my wrist every day whether I'm working or fishing. She didn't buy it for me to look at.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
My daily watch is a Luminox Field and Day #1820. I love the machined housing. I also love the big bolded numbers on the white face. This is the first somewhat pricey watch that I bought on my own. I may have bought a Luminox because a lot of my shooter friends own them. However they all have the black faced Special Ops models.

I also have a Breitling Jupiter Aviator and an Omega Speedmaster which were gifts from my father.

Dennis

PS: True story. Some friends and I were at LAX waiting for the plane to Loreto, Mexico. Some pilots joined us, and the topic went to watches. Then all of us started showing off the watches on our wrists. My friend's wife commented that we were like a bunch of women showing off our jewelry.

vanceinak

Reaction score
I wear a $19.95 Casio.
Why? Because any watch nowadays is waterproof deeper than I am & keeps time well. If a $20 watch does that why spend more? Short version of the why? I couldn't find a cheaper one...

pa dave

Reaction score
My wife bought me a Rolex Submariner for a wedding gift some years back. It's on my wrist every day whether I'm working or fishing. She didn't buy it for me to look at.
But if you don't look at it, how do you know what time it is...? ;)

I have a Hamilton in a drawer somewhere from around 1980 but I haven't worn it for years. It was my "good" watch, and I also always had a cheap stopwatch digital watch for running. I confess, I never understood the idea of a watch that costs thousands, but then again, most people don't understand why I like standing in the river, either. Now I just use the cell phone.

Note on using the cell phone...they can only reach you if you pick up the phone. My ringer is off about 95% of the time and when it's on I still get to decide if I want to answer. I figure it is my tool and I'll use it when I like. My employer doesn't even have the number.

plecain

Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the 'lucky few' who doesn't wear one. I haven't owned a wristwatch in 50 years.

For a number of years I carried a pocket watch that I inherited from my grandfather. It wasn't a great watch, but had obvious sentimental value. I still have it. It doesn't run anymore.

The pocket watch idea is nice because when someone asks the time, you can make a production of getting it out, opening it, and telling him. It slows life down a little.