must fish spots on the east coast

Fisherik

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Do to some unexpected down time at work I have a few weeks off during the month of march. I am thinking of a fishing road trip down the eastern seaboard. I live in vt.... Not much fly fishing going on here right now. So I am looking for ideas of places to hit, on my way south. Fresh or salt water, I'll bring a canoe with me so I'll have some mobility on the water. I kind of imagined my self heading down to florida to do some fishing in the keys so anything along the east coast is fair game. Please let me know what spots you wouldn't miss.
Thanks
Erik

dshort

Reaction score
If you're into trout also, I wouldn't miss the South Holston Tailwater just over the VA line in TN. You should get some good dry fly action with midges and BWO's. If you like a challenge and possibly some serious frustration, check out Mossy Creek near Harrisonburg, VA for a chance at some 20"+ browns. Also, the brookie fishing starts heating up in March in the little mountain streams in Shenandoah National Park and the George Washington National Forest.

jimw

Reaction score
If i lived in Vt. i wouldn't stop to it hits 70 degrees florida has it all fresh and salt bring your shorts and the sun block its been a long winter up north. where ever you decide enjoy. March is probally one of the best months to be there.
Jim

Fisherik

Reaction score
Can anybody give me some info about the cape romain wildlife refuge in SC? It seems like a pretty cool spot. Are there areas to wade? Is a canoe a sufficient boat for fishing the area? What sort of outfit should I bring?
Thanks

shorthaul

Reaction score
Never fished there but did more fishing up the wando river ---we did a little wading up a bit further by the national forest

todd r

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of fish you want to target but the Chatooga is the #1 trout river in SC. It has alot of places to wade and should be great fishing in March. I live in the area and would be glad to meet up with you and spend the day on the river. Send me a PM if you are interested or have any questions about the SC upstate.

Todd

derekw68

Reaction score
I would stop anywhere from Charleston, SC all the way to St. Simmons Island, GA for some redfish. Saltwater Flyfishing magazine had an article about this a few months back.