First Post - Hello

aaron otto

Reaction score
Wow first time here to this sight, I look in galleries and see this;

A Picture I took with this sites copy right logo on it - That picture is coming out in an article this summer in a National Magazine. I'm pretty sure I never gave this site permission to post it let alone copy right it. So please who ever the admin is take it down or send me a check. Either way this is really poor form from a site with such notable contributors. I'm very disappointed.

Aaron Otto

aaron otto

Reaction score
I guess I'm not sure how back track an upload - i've only been a member for an hour- The sad thing is I wouldn't have cared if it was up on the site, but the copy right symbol on it seems just wrong to me. I don't want the editor of the mag thinking the photos aren't mine to begin with and canning the article, if they happen to come across that same picture. I mean it was like in the second refresh of the random shots I saw it the first two minutes I was looking at the gallery. Just seems dirty to me.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

Sorry that you have a problem. Can you tell me where you saw that photo. It has to be in the photo gallery some where. The forum has no control over what members post. Photo owners who don't want their photos copied and posted protect their images from being copied. Do you have this picture copy righted? This photo is apparently posted on the WEB some place and has be copied and posted on NAFFF. If you had planned on using it in an article it should not have been posted with out copy protection. Anything posted on the NAFFF becomes the property of NAFFF. Now if copy protected information in posted on the forum that is a different story.

You should have sent a PM to me or one of the moderators and we would have checked it out for you. Any photo posted in the gallery gets the copy right message. You should not be disappointed in NAFFF as it has done nothing wrong.

I will be glad to work with you on removing the photo if you are the owner. The best way is to use a PM but if you want to do it on the open forum that is fine also.

Frank

aaron otto

Reaction score
The first thing I did was send an email to the admin - it hasn't been returned yet. Just remove my photo and I'll delete the posts. You won't have to worry about my participation here I won't be a burden to you.

Aaron

fyshstykr

Reaction score
According to Roughrider's profile, he was viewing this thread just 13 minutes ago. Is it just a coincidence that he happens to be online right now?

aaron otto

Reaction score
I don't really know how to delete the post or I would - please just delete it for me. I'm not trying to make problems for anyone. I just have issue with some one putting their copy right on a picture that they didn't take. Since that is general policy here - I have no desire to even attempt to change that. Keep the picture as far as I'm concerned I have 40 other ones in the same sequence and all the RAWS. I will let the editor know tha the picture has been posted out on the web and appoligize to them for it being out there. hopefully they won't pull the article, and I will just chalk this up as lessoned learned.

Truly not my intention to create problems for your website it just doesn't feel right to me to see something that belongs to some one else with another's copy right symbol on it. I'm not familiar with the ways of your site, ovbiously I've only been registerd for a couple hours. Please delete the thread and I will go away like I never existed.

Aaron

fyshstykr

Reaction score
May I suggest that you send a private message to the member that posted the photo? Obviously, he has access to a photo you are claiming as yours. If it were my photo and someone else posted it, I would confront the party and not the site.

As upset as you were in your initial post, I would think you would want to pursue something with the person who "gave" "your photo" to the site and not the site itself. They have no way to prove what belongs to who, but this The North American Fly Fishing Forum will take you right to the person who posted "your property."

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
why are you so upset about you picture being on the site? I would of been thrilled. especially with a nice catch like that. its not like they are gonna sell your pic for money or something. someone else had to of found your pic somewhere, thought it was cool and posted it up on here for all to see your nice fish.

Roughrider

Reaction score
Settle down boys, I did not post this picture here on this site, I posted it on another site. The site has a disclaimer on the bottom stating that all photos are the property of owner! For someone on here to put the flyfishingforum.com logo on it does seem to me to be a little disturbing. Aaron took the picture of me, I posted it elsewhere. Was not under the impression that someone could just come in and take pictures of complete strangers off other sites, put there logo on it, and call it there own, seems pretty crappy to me. I guess I will pull it off right now. Later

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Looking at this, it looks like the photo in question was indeed uploaded to Roughrider's gallery here on this site.The North American Fly Fishing Forum

I still have a hard time believing that the site is guilty, when the proof is right there in Roughrider's gallery.

I think the whole thing sounds a little "fishy."

I think an apology to the site is in order.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
hey rough is if u didn't post it how the heck is it in your gallery? thats weird. its a conspiracy!!!

GRN

Reaction score
I'm a pro shooter, and can understand why another would get pretty bent, pretty quick under the circumstances. I'm not sure there is any real blame to be had, but I would ask the site admin to reconsider their policy of adding or assuming any copyright to images loaded to the site. As long as this site continues to practice such a policy, which is kind of questionable to begin with IMO, I will never post any images here.

TL's~

GRN

Reaction score
Anything posted on the NAFFF becomes the property of NAFFF. Now if copy protected information in posted on the forum that is a different story.
Frank, after rereading what you posted above, I'm not clear on what you mean by 'property of'. In this day in age, it can mean two things:
1. it is limited to the actual data on media is your property (generally assumed)
2. you are claiming unrestricted usage rights to the actual image, with the right to publish, reproduce, and distribute it's likeness in whole or part...

If the answer is 2., that can get into some pretty creative interpretation in the legal arena and could be a real unnecessary liability for the site.

TL's~

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

All is well on the NAFFF. I have deleted the picture.

Aaron chose not to send me a PM so I could help him but he did continue to vent on the forum. This was never a big deal except in Aaron's mind. Roughrider is not at fault and has no responsibility.

So lets move on to fishing and hope that Aaron decides to learn more about NAFFF before he condemns it.

Frank