2014 Fish Goals

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Well, its about that time I hadn't seen another thread started yet so, Whats on your list of goals for 2014???

I will begin:
-more Smallmouth!!!
-more Brown Trout
-Brown Trout over 15"
-more carp!!! I only caught 2 this year :(
-explore MANY new waters and drag my new to the sport buddy with me
-HOPEFULLY....more saltwater fish!

That's about all I can think of for now! Share yours!

fq13

Reaction score
My first goal is to catch a fish, any fish, on a bamboo rod. I will get the chance to fish a Leonard and a Payne at New Years so I hope I can get a bluegill to cooperate with me.

The second is to catch a black drum and a pompano on the fly. Both species are present in the Glades, but I don't target them, and so unsurprisingly have never caught one on my flyrod, though they are an occasional by catch on the spinning rod. I hope to fix that this year.

r reese

Reaction score
More warm water fishing and a trip to a new spot for trout each year from here on till i'm not able

plecain

Reaction score
More new places.

Last year, my first retirement year, I fished about 40 places I've either never fished before, or haven't fished in decades.

This year I hope to hit even more such places.

mikel

Reaction score
No goals for this year...looks like family issues will be a real wild card for 2014, as they have been the last half of this year.

You all have fun...

rocketbomb

Reaction score
Same as every year: have a good time in beautiful places and catch some fish. Going to try to do some more stream fishing and would like to get a couple carp. Also would like to catch some pike come to think of it.

theboz

Reaction score
1) Explore new water.
2) And my continuing quest......to catch the state record pumpkin seed :p
How big is the state record Pumpkinseed? My son when he was 6 caught one 1lb 2ozs and that was only 4ozs shy of the world record. They are my favorite panfish

My 2014 goals are to the same as last year to fish every day possible and to catch the All Tackle Sea Robin record on a fly. I'm about 11 ozs short! Haha!

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

It seems to me that the tidal and brackish waters of Connecticut , Massachusetts and Long Island have the biggest and darkest Punpkinseeds of anywhere !

Rip Tide

Reaction score
How big is the state record Pumpkinseed? My son when he was 6 caught one 1lb 2ozs and that was only 4ozs shy of the world record. They are my favorite panfish
One pound, Three ounces .
You'd think that it would be easy, but it's been the record for 40 years.

I guess that another goal wold be to finish some of my rod restoration projects.
I think that I have close to 10 in the works right now :redface:

theboz

Reaction score
That 3ozs makes all the difference . We catch 11 and 12 inch fish that weigh a pound or a pound and 1oz or 15 ozs . That 1 lb 3oz to 1 lb 6oz is the tough one and I think it's a 121/2 to 13 inch fish . On LI when it's early spring and they are spawning in the brackish waters that's when we get the biggest ones and they are super aggressive. I hope you get it it's a tough size to catch!

flyfishnbum

Reaction score
I have one goal for 2014 and that is to catch a Permit on fly on the flats. My hope that after 3 years of throwing at the fish with no mouth, my 2014 trip will hold success.

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
Go on an extended trip with my brother
Catch a 26"+ Bull Trout
Add more streams to my list of favorite places

gzarboni

Reaction score
My goals for the upcoming year are as follows
- Be on the water more
- Get my wife and kids started on flyfishing
- Go on a guided trip
- Get back to Pulaski to fish for Salmon with the Family this time and make it a mini vacation.
- To get my father back on the water and introduce him to flyfishing and just enjoy his company more often.

Glen

markm

Reaction score
My goals for 2014,

-Continue to teach my 11 year old daughter to fly fish and improve her casting.
-Do more warmwater flyfishing. Realy like top watet small mouths.
-Just bought a Reddington CT in a 86 3 weight. Excited to try UL trout fishing.
- Become better at nymphing and fishing wet flies.

Mark

fq13

Reaction score
My goals for 2014,

-Continue to teach my 11 year old daughter to fly fish and improve her casting.
-Do more warmwater flyfishing. Realy like top watet small mouths.
-Just bought a Reddington CT in a 86 3 weight. Excited to try UL trout fishing.
- Become better at nymphing and fishing wet flies.

Mark
DO NOT neglect the panfish with that rod. I swear it is my favorite stick now. I love that rod. A micro clouser or a soft hackle and a hand sized brim is a blast! I have been fishing it more than my Sage and Fisher rods lately. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.